List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are happy with where we sit.

The only way we lose points on Rice is if Carlton bit at pick 22 and even then we would only drop back 1 spot on our first pick next year ie pick 5 drops to pick 6. I don't think that will be seen as a big loss given the talent in next year's draft.

You know they will do it though.

No McCarthy trade so no Lachie Weller trade according to McCarthy's manager
In that case...

Dear Brisbane, are you suuuure you don't want to entertain pick 14 for James? According to Essendon and Hawthorn it doesn't matter where the player wants to go so lets do the deal.
Regards, Ameet.

Gws still dont have enough points for all their academy kids this year.

Would we trade pick 14 to gws for their 2016 first rounder & pick/s in the late 20s and 50s of this year.

We wont get Weller this year and next years draft is ment to be better in quality.

We'd then have 2 first rounders next year which would spread out the age of our list.

3 hours left... I still think there may be something coming. I'm guessing we've got our three list spots open. Can't remember numbers exactly.... 14, Rice & Sinclair come in. As it sits I think we'd like more points for rice. If we were going to delist Ray then I'd happily see him traded to a club for a points pick that other club won't use, instead of Ray going DFA.... Then get rice without a deficit next year and have an open list spot for a delisted free agent if we are interested in any.

As it seems as though we won't be getting Weller, I am starting to warm to the idea of drafting Rioli.

Granted, I have only seen his highlights but there is something special there. He has the ability to turn nothing into something and could become a player that really worries opposition teams. He has very clean hands in traffic, time with the ball and also looks to be decent overhead which would give us an extra point of difference to our team. Adding a player like him would also allow us to change our structure as a team entirely in the same way that Cyril can for Hawthorn - this year Cyril played as the teams sole FF (to stunning effect) and he also had midfield minutes. It gives them a massive point of difference and I could see Daniel Rioli doing likewise (but perhaps not as effective)

Obviously we have a need to get some out and out midfielders but all of Billings, Sinclarr, Lonie and Rioli could play meaningful midfield minutes while also being apart of a scary forward line.

Look, I agree but if in the future if we just seem to cut players that didnt fit our team that had played great football over the journey I dont think its the image you want to send. Not purely about getting games in. If he sourced out another team for a deal then why not help him land there for a late pick like how geelong helped Jpod to adel, Josh Hunt to GWS, Chappy to Bombers and now Stevie J to GWS. why wait till after period to be told no longer required. Id rather deal them to help them keep playing. no guarantee he makes a list without it.

All i was saying is that if we need to move someone on either trade or de-list that he is the first person in the firing line unless tom lee requests a trade back to wa.

As it seems as though we won't be getting Weller, I am starting to warm to the idea of drafting Rioli.

Granted, I have only seen his highlights but there is something special there. He has the ability to turn nothing into something and could become a player that really worries opposition teams. He has very clean hands in traffic, time with the ball and also looks to be decent overhead which would give us an extra point of difference to our team. Adding a player like him would also allow us to change our structure as a team entirely in the same way that Cyril can for Hawthorn - this year Cyril played as the teams sole FF (to stunning effect) and he also had midfield minutes. It gives them a massive point of difference and I could see Daniel Rioli doing likewise (but perhaps not as effective)

Obviously we have a need to get some out and out midfielders but all of Billings, Sinclarr, Lonie and Rioli could play meaningful midfield minutes while also being apart of a scary forward line.

Players that may be available at our pick that i like the idea of:

Mathieson
Oliver
Curnow
Hibberd
McKay
Collins
Milera

Bit early for Rioli i think.
Some of those aren't mids, but they may well be the best available at 14.

Anyone else think McCarthy's manager is still trying to force GWS into a deal with these comments?

Young said even if McCarthy pulled on a Giants jumper in 2016, it wouldn't change his mind about his future.

Young added the two clubs would find themselves in the same situation in 12 months' time.

"He certainly wants to finish his career in WA," Young said.

"He wants to play football in Western Australia and be close to his family, so I've got no doubt that if we don't get a trade done today, in 12 months' time (talks will get) going again.

"They (GWS) feel that they can (get him to stay long-term) but I think Cam has had a chat to the coach and the club in saying that he's going to finish his career in Western Australia.

"It's not so much playing football with GWS, it's more so living in Western Australia and being close to his family and friends and some other issues, so there's no doubt that he won't be playing with GWS when his contact is finished."

Pretty much saying if you don't trade him now he's just gonna demand a trade in 12 months time, and will keep trying to get to WA ASAP.

Players that may be available at our pick that i like the idea of:

Mathieson
Oliver
Curnow
Hibberd
McKay
Collins
Milera

Bit early for Rioli i think.
Some of those aren't mids, but they may well be the best available at 14.

Was said on afl website we interviewed him so just going on that, but maybe we had plans to get him in the pick in the 20s.

Love the idea of Rioli as he seems like he would add a point of difference.

Of those you mentioned, who do you reckon can add something like that?

Last edited:
All i was saying is that if we need to move someone on either trade or de-list that he is the first person in the firing line unless tom lee requests a trade back to wa.

I agree he is. Just don't like the approach is all. Facts are we are looking down the barrell of delisting someone anyway. As we delisted 4. 2 traded in. And we need 3 picks in draft. Doesn't add up so one more has to go! I'd definitely offer up some fringe players and try for a pick in the 30's somewhere. Maybe north??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would have loved to get Weller.

Was yakking to a recruiter from another club this morning who rates him extremely highly - best player in the team he played for Queensland (originally from Tassie), breaks lines, quick, great skills, said he is very different from Mav but a damn good player and the type we need

I agree he is. Just don't like the approach is all. Facts are we are looking down the barrell of delisting someone anyway. As we delisted 4. 2 traded in. And we need 3 picks in draft. Doesn't add up so one more has to go! I'd definitely offer up some fringe players and try for a pick in the 30's somewhere. Maybe north??

There are a few players that i wouldnt mind trading out and getting some picks for. Curren, Saunders, Ray, Lee etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back