2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What depth issue? We lost our best 4 midfielders for large parts of the year. No club can handle that.

Once again, you post something which makes no sense and then obstinately refuse to acknowledge that you made a mistake.
At which point we upgraded our rookie players O'Brien and Evans to cover for those losses. Lol, how silly of me, I guess we don't need depth players. Lets instead play a teenager in the midfield who can't run out a game.

At which point we had to upgrade our rookie players O'Brien and Evans to cover for those losses. Lol, how silly of me I guess we don't need depth. Lets instead play a unproven teenager in the midfield who can't run out a game because he is a first year player.
You've just completely missed my point. Go back and re-read what I wrote. This is not a difficult concept.

Nick O'Brien from the Essendon football club looks very promising. His back half of the year had him averaging 21.7 disposals, in 9 games. Only played 14 games in his career, but he's listed at 188cm, 91kg, plus only 22 years of age. He's very similar to Jack Crisp and I reckon he's going to take that next step in 2016.

He meets our list age demographic, is more then capable playing in our seniors, nice size and will cost very little in terms of trade/salary. I see him as a depth player who can play inside and become a link up player.

At the moment he's uncontracted and will be looking for more opportunities else where.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-25/dempsey-to-assess-dons-offer-before-deciding-future
What do you think his strengths and weaknesses are? What sort of player do you think he is? What do you think he can improve and how he improve our team?
Detail these sorts of things in your posts and it could potentially make them interesting or evidence that you have actually seen him play.

Same to you. :drunk:
Seriously?

If you can't handle your views being disputed, then a forum is not the place for you. If you can't justify your opinions in a convincing way, then don't expect others
to ignore the enormous logic gaps you keep leaving.

What do you think his strengths and weaknesses are? What sort of player do you think he is? What do you think he can improve and how he improve our team?
Detail these sorts of things in your posts and it could potentially make them interesting or evidence that you have actually seen him play.
What do you think his strengths and weaknesses are?
Strengths
-He is a inside mid who wins contested possession on a regular basis
-Wins contested possessions
-Is 22 years of age and 4 years of development put in him. We don't have have many second or third tier midfielders in that age bracket.
-The last 9 games demonstrates him playing consistent footy and will be able to compete for 4 quarters
-Has a nice left foot kick

Weaknesses
-Has average speed
-Uses the ball well, but not great
-Needs to gut run and spread more

I see O'Brien playing as a inside mid who wins contested possession and as a role player. Currently we are ranked 17th in the comp for contested possession and need mids who can win the contest dish dish the ball out to guys like Zorko, Christensen and Taylor.

Which part of depth you don't understand?

So pleased to see you used your suspension to reflect on the fact that not 1 person supports you, your logic may be a bit flawed, or that your posting style may be just a tad offensive, and as a new addition to our group you may need to temper your style a fraction.

I think POBT is having trouble with the limit of 44 players.

Clearly we're going for 50+ this year - depth in all areas?
Lets see. Maguire, Adcock, Staker, McGuane, Leuy, Redden, Aish and Golby are the outs. The in's so far are Bell, Jansen, Keayes, Schache, Hipwood and maybe O'Brien. Still leaves 2 list spot short. Maybe learn to count :p.

I've got horrible Déjà vu... didn't we go through the same garbage on one of these threads for pages of wasted time a couple of days ago? I don't post on here much but do read a lot during the trade period. Having to skim though the petty bickering and insults b*ll-shit over again is tedius. I much rather tread through pages of bad clique jokes and suggestions Haso is his own alter-ego.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got horrible Déjà vu... didn't we go through the same garbage on one of these threads for pages of wasted time a couple of days ago? I don't post on here much but do read a lot during the trade period. Having to skim thought the petty bickering and insults b*ll-shit over again is tedius. I much rather tread through pages of bad clique jokes and suggestions Haso is his own alter-ego.

Agreed can we move this to the tttb v povt thread? Very tiresome

We don't have depth in the midfield. If we have another injury riddled year then guys like Zorko, Christensen, and Talyor will have to play inside. Bell will be a great addition, but Jansen hasn't played a AFL game. I rather get a player who played AFL games and can improve. If I'm right we a Jack Crisp 2.0.
The midfield is actually one place we do have depth problem was our depth midfielders were also injured which now with Burton gone I don't think will be a problem this year

The midfield is actually one place we do have depth problem was our depth midfielders were also injured which now with Burton gone I don't think will be a problem this year
And while we may lose Redden and Aish we will get Keays and possibly Bell and Jansen. I agree that our needs will lie elsewhere.

Can I suggest that some of you must live in houses with no mirrors. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If you don't like it just don't comment.

You can have a one-way dialogue where you express your opinions in a blog. This is a forum.

What do you think his strengths and weaknesses are?
Strengths
-He is a inside mid who wins contested possession on a regular basis
-Wins contested possessions
-Is 22 years of age and 4 years of development put in him. We don't have have many second or third tier midfielders in that age bracket.
-The last 9 games demonstrates him playing consistent footy and will be able to compete for 4 quarters
-Has a nice left foot kick

Weaknesses
-Has average speed
-Uses the ball well, but not great
-Needs to gut run and spread more

I see O'Brien playing as a inside mid who wins contested possession and as a role player. Currently we are ranked 17th in the comp for contested possession and need mids who can win the contest dish dish the ball out to guys like Zorko, Christensen and Taylor.
Great, that sort of gets a discussion going and shows that you might have actually seen him play.
From watching a fair few Essendon games at the back end of this year he seemed to me a very average player with little scope for improvement.
I think his strong points are winning a lot of possession, particularly inside the contest with size and strength. He seems to me to have major flaws with his limited ability to spread, lack of pace, no versatility, conservative and poor kicking, average disposal inside the contest and he doesn't really impact the game.

Furthermore, what opportunities can he have at our club that aren't available to him at Essendon? He's a 22yo big-bodied midfielder presumably being considered for delistment by a club screaming out for big-bodied midfielders, talented 3rd to 5th year players and midfield depth. He's a better fit at Essendon than anywhere else. He got nine games this year in a team ravaged by injuries as a 4th year player and performed averagely.

I can't really see what he brings that Zac O'Brien doesn't bring, except for being taller. I also can't see what he brings that Ryan Lester doesn't bring. As POBT mentioned, we have two similar players who have higher upsides that seem likely to come to us. I think your comparison with Jack Crisp is way off the mark. Crisp's agility, speed, line breaking, tackling, football instincts, running power and inside/outside mix make him an AFL player and O'Brien's lack thereof make him VFL standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back