2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the equalisation measures aren't undermined there is greater earning potential for its members down the track. They are always looking for a bigger piece of the TV deal for the players.

Instead of advocating for free movement of the players, why don't they take a more hands on role in creating better environments and conditions at the clubs themselves?

Aish is gone, if he was staying then he would of signed on by now, but as history has shown he is likely to be gone. Redden didn't rock up to the B & F and requested a trade. Name me one player who has done that and ended up staying.

Ryan O'Keefe.

I know this might not be the thread or discussion topic for it, but I loved Luke Beveridge's take on the Carlisle Situation.

It is so ludicrous that the response to their approaches have been, "no, you tell us what you can offer Jake and show us how much money he is worth" - before he/they will even sit down and have a coffee with the coach or visit the club.

What a wank, I am pro FA and pro player rights, but i wouldn't want a B- grade hack with a bad attitude putting his hand out and looking the other way when you try to talk to him, hope he gets overlooked and ends up on a shitty contract somewhere.

Certain players command that respect, some don't - he is one who should be stoked a bloke like Luke Beveridge wants to chat to him, not the other way around.

Just caught the end of Swann talking on SEN. Talked of Bell and Jansen (and others) coming up to the club to look at trades. Ongoing talks with Aish. And Martin is seen as the number 1 ruck and leuey is looking around at FA. Didn't sound like anything really new but might be good to listen to the rest of the interview

Just caught the end of Swann talking on SEN. Talked of Bell and Jansen (and others) coming up to the club to look at trades. Ongoing talks with Aish. And Martin is seen as the number 1 ruck and leuey is looking around at FA. Didn't sound like anything really new but might be good to listen to the rest of the interview
Could you elaborate on the others KissKiss?

Yeah didn't sound like a lot new but I missed the beginning so wasn't sure if there was anything else.
Im worried that we are becoming unravelled by this situation. The new response by Leigh seems great for our pride but not great for our list development. Smacks of biting our nose of inspire of our face! We must get best value picks of Aish if he wants out and use this on our academy kids. This is our chance to to get the balance of our list improved with more home grown origins. These outbursts make us look desperate and disorganised and definitely unprofessional which further erodes our public image and culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leigh made the point we gave away 5 first round draft picks to get 5 second round picks in reply which wasn't smart. He is probably just rattling the sword but we do need the market to think we are going to be much tougher than we have been. I'm sure Aish and his management are sitting on the fence to see how the Dangerfield trade plays out and what the Crows get. I think Leigh is just telling them to 'shit or get off the pot'. don't keep us hanging waiting for a better deal as we are not going to loose opportunities ourselves with other players while the money is still on the table for Aish. If the Dangerfield trade goes late in the trade period who will we have possibly lost the opportunity at. I thinks is a good move, if he thinks he can back us into a corner then there is a down side for him as well.

Leigh made the point we gave away 5 first round draft picks to get 5 second round picks in reply which wasn't smart. He is probably just rattling the sword but we do need the market to think we are going to be much tougher than we have been. I'm sure Aish and his management are sitting on the fence to see how the Dangerfield trade plays out and what the Crows get. I think Leigh is just telling them to 'shit or get off the pot'. don't keep us hanging waiting for a better deal as we are not going to loose opportunities ourselves with other players while the money is still on the table for Aish. If the Dangerfield trade goes late in the trade period who will we have possibly lost the opportunity at. I thinks is a good move, if he thinks he can back us into a corner then there is a down side for him as well.
I think the Lions need the *players* to know they're gonna be tougher than they have been.

The possibility of being the focus of intense media focus for a year before then not getting to their preferred club should give players pause in future... if that's how it works out.

Im worried that we are becoming unravelled by this situation. The new response by Leigh seems great for our pride but not great for our list development. Smacks of biting our nose of inspire of our face! We must get best value picks of Aish if he wants out and use this on our academy kids. This is our chance to to get the balance of our list improved with more home grown origins. These outbursts make us look desperate and disorganised and definitely unprofessional which further erodes our public image and culture.

Totally disagree. Based on the pure evidence, Plan A [cop it sweet and suck up the trade dregs] has patently not worked.

We need to establish a line in the sand. As a frontier club we are in a different place to all but the other 3 northern clubs and are self-evidently seen as a feeder club to the high and mighty.

LM spelt out our trade principles earlier this year so it's not like our position re Aish et al is any sort of surprise.

As maybe a complementary measure, if it was me I'd be doing a bit of leg work under the cover of darkness to enable a trade or whatever you'd like to call it for Aish to GWS for someone equal. Completely off the record of course. If Aish found this unacceptable then he would know full well the alternative.

It looks like Brisbane will almost certainly end up getting Brendan Whitecross as a unrestricted free agent. Sam Grimley could also be headed to the Lions as a mature aged rookie.
Whitecross o.k on those terms, but what have we done to deserve a dud like Grimley !

Whitecross o.k on those terms, but what have we done to deserve a dud like Grimley !

I don't know what Brisbane see in Grimley either to be honest. :p He was simply putrid in last weeks VFL Grand Final. But in saying that he will be on the rookie list so wouldn't cost anything.

loved Leigh Matthews advice to Aish - sign or go in the draft, we are not playing games and won't trade you. Go in the draft and see where you end up and with whom on what $
Spot on Clarkey ! I think the statement well timed,and good it came simultaneously from Leigh and Swanny. Aish's options are drying up. The StKilda recruiting head made an interesting passing reference on the A.B.C trade talk last Saturday,on this. Said they were uninterested,and that there was not much 'competion' in that area. We are aware the money is not there for him generally.

I don't know what Brisbane see in Grimley either to be honest. :p He was simply putrid in last weeks VFL Grand Final. But in saying that he will be on the rookie list so wouldn't cost anything.
Thanks PP...going on last weekend,we should be looking at the Willie boys !

Yeah the only downside to Grimley as a rookie would be the idea it might rule Wylie Buzza out of a spot. I'm not certain Buzza is going to make it, but I'd probably back him in to be better than Grimley in 2 years if we develop him.

Qlder + mature + ruck-sized + cheap = back-up if Martin goes down.

I doubt we are going to pick up a free agent this year given the possibility of a band 1 compo (albeit highly unlikely).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back