2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall correctly theteamtobeat, you were arguing a while back that we don't need any more key backs coz apparently we have so many potential stars. Why is the backline in no need for any additions when it's clearly underage and lacking barely a capable AFL standard 6, but the midfield where we do have a healthy amount of talent is in dire need?

iVmROCq.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't you people know that it's the Aish thread that's meant to be terrible, not this one?

To get back on topic, it'll be interesting to see which club that leuy ends up deciding on. You would think that Essendon provide the best option in terms of security but Sydney do have a history of getting the most out of players they bring in.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-29/aflpa-backs-young-magpie-nathan-freemans-trade-bid

"The small number that do move are often looking for greater opportunity, or they may want to go home or it might be money.

"I have no issue with players at the end of contracts wanting to go and move somewhere else and I think the competition is, in many respects, better for it."

Not sure how the competition is better for young players leaving clubs. Unless by 'competition' you mean the big clubs.

Don't you people know that it's the Aish thread that's meant to be terrible, not this one?

To get back on topic, it'll be interesting to see which club that leuy ends up deciding on. You would think that Essendon provide the best option in terms of security but Sydney do have a history of getting the most out of players they bring in.

Every thread is an Aish thread. Aish Aish Aish Aish. If you say it fast enough you can sound like a steam train. Go on, try it. Hours of off-season fun!.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-29/aflpa-backs-young-magpie-nathan-freemans-trade-bid

Not sure how the competition is better for young players leaving clubs. Unless by 'competition' you mean the big clubs.

Agreed. So many things wrong with Marsh's comments.

It has again raised the idea that a draftee's first standard contract should be stretched to three years, which has been previously pushed by some clubs, but Marsh says players should be free to move at the expiry of their deals.

"If he's contracted for two years then at the end of that contract he should have the ability to try to move if he wants to," Marsh told radio station SEN.

If his contract is for three years, he'll still have the ability to try and move on if he wants. It just offers more protection to the club which drafted and invested in the player.

"Clubs don't own these players. They've got a job to do to try to create as good an environment as possible so the players want to stay there. But if for whatever reason the player wants to move at the end of that contract I have no issue with them doing so."

They don't own them, but they pay them a very reasonable salary and invested hundreds and thousands of dollars in their development. Do you have an issue with them wanting to get the most out of the time and money they have invested?

Marsh said as younger players had not yet earned the power that comes with free agency, moving clubs presented a greater risk for those players as they could end up back in the draft if a deal could not be struck.

Yeah, all the young players that have recently nominated clubs early in their career and then been forced to go into through draft to get to them support this, like uhhh --

But he reiterated it was up to clubs to build a culture and environment where players could not be lured elsewhere.

Cop out. In the event Aish and Freeman leave what could either club realistically have done to prevent them leaving? Collingwood is the richest and best equipped club in the land and the kid hadn't play a single game. What more could have Collingwood done to retain him other than pay him a contract which didn't match output or value to the team?

"We do see a pretty small number of players moving clubs from year to year. The majority of the clubs are very good at keeping their players with them," Marsh said.

"The small number that do move are often looking for greater opportunity, or they may want to go home or it might be money.

"I have no issue with players at the end of contracts wanting to go and move somewhere else and I think the competition is, in many respects, better for it."

Yeah, that will never change. But suggesting it's a small amount is ridiculously naive. Since the introduction of free agency, more young players than ever before are moving clubs earlier in their contracts and regardless of what he says he thinks, they have moved with as much ease afforded to the players which have earned free agency status after serving years at a club. 2 year contracts for draftees simply aren't viable going forward in the new AFL environment, clubs need their investment in players to be protected.

Last edited:

I think the AFLPA is pretty naive and ignorant about the whole situation. It really is frustrating to see such narrow minded and simple thinking from the players association.

To say that it's up to the clubs to create the environment for the young players to want to stay is very one eyed. What about the fact a large majority of players get left behind to play at those clubs? Meaning a majority of their own members get punished for the benefit of a minority (who just happen to be the most talented and already have the most options).

Someone like Jed Adcock is unfortunately kicked out of his own club prematurely because his clubs challenging window got pushed back due to 2nd and 3rd year players being happy to leave club his club high and dry.

I think the AFLPA is pretty naive and ignorant about the whole situation. It really is frustrating to see such narrow minded and simple thinking from the players association.

To say that it's up to the clubs to create the environment for the young players to want to stay is very one eyed. What about the fact a large majority of players get left behind to play at those clubs? Meaning a majority of their own members get punished for the benefit of a minority (who just happen to be the most talented and already have the most options).

Someone like Jed Adcock is unfortunately kicked out of his own club prematurely because his clubs challenging window got pushed back due to 2nd and 3rd year players being happy to leave club his club high and dry.
Shouldn't surprise us, they're a Union. Their job is to promote the interests of their members, sometimes at the expense of the clubs. They don't really give a rats about 'the competition'.

It's almost as though it's designed to perpetuate a club like the Hawks being at the top.

Why wouldn't a young player want to go there ... even for a slight pay cut?

The shift to complete player autonomy is nice if you're a solid, well established and (recently) successful club. If you're not able to fit into that category then you might find yourself way down the pecking order (i.e. 1st big Melbourne clubs, WA and Sa...2nd smaller melbourne clubs... 3rd non-afl state clubs).

The compromised drafts in recent years has spread talent thin and has probably allowed some teams to stay at the top for longer or at the very least at the top without as much competition.

The AFLPA wouldn't be fulfilling its role if it didn't come out with this line of reasoning, but for clubs like the Lions...facing the issues we face...it doesn't look great.

The "clubs need to get their environment/culture right" thing really gets my goat.Even if every club was perceived to achieve this there would still be a ranking - some would be better than others.Its an excuse that could be used for forever and a day.

Shouldn't surprise us, they're a Union. Their job is to promote the interests of their members, sometimes at the expense of the clubs. They don't really give a rats about 'the competition'.

Exactly. Its like trying to get a balanced perspective from a politician. The AFLPA are there to push one agenda only, to make things as good as is humanly possible for the players. Everything else is irrelevant

I respect the AFLPA's right to advocate for its members, and accept that conditions, money and mobility will generally be in the best interest of individual members at any given time.

I do however feel that the AFLPA sometimes loses sight of the fact that their members are ultimately best served by a strong and viable competition.

It may serve a young player in the short term to move half way across the country after two years in a search for success, cash or better facilities. But that move home, may be enormously disruptive to the kid. Perhaps what might serve them better is a competition in which a young player can see hope for success, and being payed what he is worth and quality facilities, wherever he is drafted. Some will still move for cash and family, but the fact that players are looking at the club that drafted them and thinking, I cannot see success with this team within my career, is a failure of the system/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back