2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It looks like Brisbane will almost certainly end up getting Brendan Whitecross as a unrestricted free agent. Sam Grimley could also be headed to the Lions as a mature aged rookie.

We won't take Whitecross as free agent. We will lose the Berger F/A compo pick. If we take him delist F/A or PSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They play completely different positions. Grimley can play the forward/ruck role better than anyone we have currently got and is back up if Martin/West go down.

Have you seen Grimley ? I wouldn't fancy him winning any ruck contests let alone provide a target up forward. We would be much better served by Lycett or Sinclair from West Coast if Redden decides to head West.

Yeah the only downside to Grimley as a rookie would be the idea it might rule Wylie Buzza out of a spot. I'm not certain Buzza is going to make it, but I'd probably back him in to be better than Grimley in 2 years if we develop him.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-30/highlyrated-pair-nominated-as-academy-picks-for-draft
We didn't nominate him as an academy player earlier this week, so presumably we aren't at all interested in Buzza, even as a Category B rookie.

Have you seen Grimley ? I wouldn't fancy him winning any ruck contests let alone provide a target up forward. We would be much better served by Lycett or Sinclair from West Coast if Redden decides to head West.

Yes many times. I'm not saying he'd be straight in our best 22. He'd be handy more than handy depth though, appealing if he came free. I can certainly see why we would be interested. A change of scenery can do wonderful things for a player, see Martin and Robinson as two examples from our own list.

Yes, they are both players West Coast wouldn't trade and contracted I believe.

Getting an off-contract, cheap as chips rookie list depth option like Grimley is a different strategy to chasing a contracted, best 22 (or near best 22) option like Lycett or Sinclair.

I'm not saying Grimley is a good call for us but he is a completely free hit. Small salary, no valuable draft pick and no senior list spot. The likes of Lycett will cost us a salary, a trade price and a senior list spot.

The question really is what strategy we should adopt rather than which player we should chase. If we're prepared to pay up for a quality depth option, then so be it - Lycett et al are in the conversation. But if the strategy is to be to find a super cheap ruck, then the debate is about Grimley and others of his ilk.

Getting an off-contract, cheap as chips rookie list depth option like Grimley is a different strategy to chasing a contracted, best 22 (or near best 22) option like Lycett or Sinclair.

I'm not saying Grimley is a good call for us but he is a completely free hit. Small salary, no valuable draft pick and no senior list spot. The likes of Lycett will cost us a salary, a trade price and a senior list spot.

The question really is what strategy we should adopt rather than which player we should chase. If we're prepared to pay up for a quality depth option, then so be it - Lycett et al are in the conversation. But if the strategy is to be to find a super cheap ruck, then the debate is about Grimley and others of his ilk.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions still had their sights set on another mature(ish) ruck like Lycett/Sinclair and Grimley is actually a back-up, back-up option.

This list of delisted/retired players appears quite accurate and up to date.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/features/retirements-and-delistings

The reason I was looking was to see if there was an alternative to Grimley that would be worth considering.

• Jack Fitzpatrick caught the eye at senior level a few times, mostly as a tall defender but he can certainly do that part time ruck role.
  • Jarrad Redden had a good run in the ruck at Port a couple of years ago but I believe his body has let him down.
  • Mason Shaw is a young delisting. He's the right type but I'm not sure his form at Port stacks up.
  • Spencer White - talented athlete but I hear he's not the most dedicated footballer
  • Mark Jamar - might be a decent "Ben Hudson" type pick-up?
  • Ayce Cordey - blergh
Unless there is a mature State leaguer who can be our "third ruck" behind Martin and West, we might be better off spending up on a better quality option.

I would only be keen on Cordy from that list. He has come from so far back physically, I would assume his best years would be 26 onwards.

This list of delisted/retired players appears quite accurate and up to date.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/features/retirements-and-delistings

The reason I was looking was to see if there was an alternative to Grimley that would be worth considering.

• Jack Fitzpatrick caught the eye at senior level a few times, mostly as a tall defender but he can certainly do that part time ruck role.
  • Jarrad Redden had a good run in the ruck at Port a couple of years ago but I believe his body has let him down.
  • Mason Shaw is a young delisting. He's the right type but I'm not sure his form at Port stacks up.
  • Spencer White - talented athlete but I hear he's not the most dedicated footballer
  • Mark Jamar - might be a decent "Ben Hudson" type pick-up?
  • Ayce Cordey - blergh
Unless there is a mature State leaguer who can be our "third ruck" behind Martin and West, we might be better off spending up on a better quality option.
Wonder what that redlands ruck is up to...? Paul Hunter, was it...? Did he get a state combine invite this year...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back