2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just a couple of things I've been told in the past week by someone pretty reliable. Not massive news, just reliable.

-Likelihood of Aish being here next season currently sits at about 5-10%.
-Seems as if James wants to head to a Melbourne based club and doesn't want to head home.
-Bit of a two horse race at the moment with Blues & Pies making contact. Once St Kilda learn that Sloane will stay at Adelaide they'll come in and offer James some pretty handy coin.

Obviously it's still early in the season and a number of things can change but as the year goes on and I get told anything I'll post it. Cheers.

Hey guys, just a couple of things I've been told in the past week by someone pretty reliable. Not massive news, just reliable.

-Likelihood of Aish being here next season currently sits at about 5-10%.
-Seems as if James wants to head to a Melbourne based club and doesn't want to head home.
-Bit of a two horse race at the moment with Blues & Pies making contact. Once St Kilda learn that Sloane will stay at Adelaide they'll come in and offer James some pretty handy coin.

Obviously it's still early in the season and a number of things can change but as the year goes on and I get told anything I'll post it. Cheers.
Pretty embarrassing for the club then if he just wants to change club and not head home. Understandble, if bullshit, that he is homesick but to just head to a different club means either he hasn't bought in and doesn't think we will head up anytime soon (Even more embarrassing if he thinks Carlton will be good anytime soon)

On the other hand, probably better for us if he does head to a Melbourne club, that way the other clubs will hopefully try and outbid each other (assuming the kid doesn't nominate). Hopefully a top 10 pick.

Not sure why Collingwood think they are a chance unless those muppet supporters were right in that we said no to him in the hope that we could convince him to stay.

Lot's of if's here but:
If Rance decided we wanted to accept an offer from us and Leuy decided to accept one from somewhere else.
If we were sure we could get a compo pick for Luey after our first rounder.
If we finished say 17th and Richmond finished 9th.
Could we trade for Rance by offering Richmond pick 2 for their pick 9, or some other funky trade that would keep Richmond happy?
I rather get Rance via FA and draft the best key position player at pick 2. A top 5 pick would guarantee we get a elite junior key position prospect. KPP are worth their weight in gold and their's no guarantee there will be one at pick 9. Perfect example of Joe Daniher being the main key difference in today's match against the Bombers.

Lot's of if's here but:
If Rance decided we wanted to accept an offer from us and Leuy decided to accept one from somewhere else.
If we were sure we could get a compo pick for Luey after our first rounder.
If we finished say 17th and Richmond finished 9th.
Could we trade for Rance by offering Richmond pick 2 for their pick 9, or some other funky trade that would keep Richmond happy?

I rather get Rance via FA and draft the best key position player at pick 2. A top 5 pick would guarantee we get a elite junior key position prospect. KPP are worth their weight in gold and their's no guarantee there will be one at pick 9. Perfect example of Joe Daniher being the main key difference in today's match against the Bombers.

In that situation, we'd still have pick 3 for compensation for Leuenberger. It would depend on Richmond, if they valued Pick 2 higher than picks 10+11 (Also leaves them in Free Agency, not affecting their compensation for Rance.)

It would be worth exploring, obviously not applicable if we're into multiple F/A thou.
It could be a case, of us worrying about something we don't have. Simplifying it, would we accept a trade of Leuenberger for Rance

In that situation, we'd still have pick 3 for compensation for Leuenberger. It would depend on Richmond, if they valued Pick 2 higher than picks 10+11 (Also leaves them in Free Agency, not affecting their compensation for Rance.)

It would be worth exploring, obviously not applicable if we're into multiple F/A thou.
It could be a case, of us worrying about something we don't have. Simplifying it, would we accept a trade of Leuenberger for Rance
We need elite KPP's at either end of the ground. Say we end up with picks 10 and 11, will a Jacob Weitering or Joshua Schache or the best KKP be available at those picks, highly unlikely. I rather draft for quality, than quantity this time around. Trading pick 2 for picks 10 and 11 is a good idea, but we need quality KPP.

By the way, their is no way in hell we are getting pick 3 for Leuy as compensation. Eddie Maguire would be going off his head.

We need a CHB and a CHF/FF badly.

I hope We get Rance and the imposing Hawkins.
Both unstoppable when on song.

It would take soo much pressure of our young blokes.

Merrett, Rance, Clarke
Hanley Rich
Martin Beams Rockcliff
Hawkins, McStay, Freeman

That's a spine I'd like to build around

I'm happy for Leuey to go. We need the cap space for a couple of big names and he might be happier with a fresh start as number 1 ruck.

With all the talk about certain player contracts being put on hold it is quite evident that the club are pushing to get KPP's into those spots. If we have to pay overs for someone like Rance then I think that is something that has to be done. Our need for two KPF's fairly dire and even if we were able to bring in a first 22 KPF like a Dixon and then a Walker to also add would greatly give us some help. I just hope that we are able to do that whilst also maintaining a pick in the first round. I do feel for our young KPP's as they do desperately need help win some more mature bodies around them whilst still developing themselves.

Is Schoenmakers worth chasing? Not up to date with his contract status but worth a look if available.

We might also draft the next Jack Watts or Mitch Thorp. Or draft Weitering who then does an Aish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need elite KPP's at either end of the ground. Say we end up with picks 10 and 11, will a Jacob Weitering or Joshua Schache or the best KKP be available at those picks, highly unlikely. I rather draft for quality, than quantity this time around. Trading pick 2 for picks 10 and 11 is a good idea, but we need quality KPP.

By the way, their is no way in hell we are getting pick 3 for Leuy as compensation

Obviousily all hypothetical, so I won't go into it too much.
But in that situation we'd have Rance with Pick 3 and pick 10 (assuming we get a first round for Leuenberger)

Richmond would have to weigh up trading pick 10, and losing compensation for Rance (Pick 11) for our Pick 2. It would be a favourable situation for us, but I was pointing out Richmond would have to benefit too. (Didn't explain it the best)

I agree that we'd be very unlikely to get that compensation for Leuy, was just contributing from Groo's post

I know this is all wishful thinking but rance and Hawkins should be our top of the list. Particularly if we lose Adcock Luey and aish. There's no reason we can't afford them both. IMHO Henderson and Dixon are both B graders at their absolute best and won't take us further than what mcstay and Clarke will in a few years time. If we are full on serious about contending than Hawkins and Rance should seriously help that.

Fare enough they stopped the media stuff with hawkins family stuff is being dealt with. But until he signs he should remain on the top of the list. And for the 'he wont leave he is geelong father/son'. Look how that panned out for Gablett. The afl might want this to happen aswell so they may help it.

He might be carrying the drinks, the way Cam McCarthy is going. I hope he's practicing his ruck technique if he wants a place in the team.

He was the chop-out ruck last year prior to doing his knee. Did an adequate job, better than Tomlinson who started in that role this year.

He was the chop-out ruck last year prior to doing his knee. Did an adequate job, better than Tomlinson who started in that role this year.

As someone obviously with extensive knowledge of the Giants, do you think they'd be more likely to part with Patton or McCarthy? Doesn't look like they'd let either go but which one would be more attainable in your opinion?

Fare enough they stopped the media stuff with hawkins family stuff is being dealt with. But until he signs he should remain on the top of the list. And for the 'he wont leave he is geelong father/son'. Look how that panned out for Gablett. The afl might want this to happen aswell so they may help it.
I think he made it pretty clear early on that he wasn't interested in exploring free agency. I doubt that's changed.

As someone obviously with extensive knowledge of the Giants, do you think they'd be more likely to part with Patton or McCarthy? Doesn't look like they'd let either go but which one would be more attainable in your opinion?

I think there's a fair bit of emotion there with the club and Patton. Been a centre of their marketing when fit, has signed on early. I suspect on field he'd be worth more to just about anyone other than GWS because of their embarrassment of riches, but off field it'd be within the ballpark of us giving away Brown because we had Lynch and Bradshaw. I could only see him going if he wants to, and signing a contract extension last year strongly suggests he doesn't considering he would've been chased hard even after an ACL (as we're currently seeing).

McCarthy might be more gettable. Signed an extension on his rookie deal early, obviously showing a lot on the field. Has really been a bolt from the blue. But again, it'd only be if he wants out. I just think he's more likely to be persuaded but given he's cemented a spot in the best 22 of a team that is 6-2 and is playing really well (both him and the team) it's hard to see why.

Ultimately I see all three fitting into that forward line and have mentioned that a few times, with Patton being the Roughead/Brown big-bodied and more physical example, McCarthy Gunston/Bradshaw agile third tall, and Cameron an X-factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back