Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

They've already talked up needing more help from Redden and Jetta if they're too compete next year. They killed us in the last round on the outside where Gaff was sitting off every contest and we refused to put anyone on him. Maybe they see the fix to that with their talk of improving our contested stuff, but it wasn't the first time that the opposition sat an outside midfielder off the pack and we let them do that all game.
Knight would be good in the team for this reason. He is another gut runner and can play on the outside (while being adequate on the inside). He could match guys like Gaff, Isaac Smith, Bradley Hill who all have elite endurance & work rate. Doesn't have to necessarily play wing but could move onto them them if they're causing us trouble. I reckon he would also make a good "cooler" on a genuine mid too.

You sure about that?

West Coast played one on Mitchell late this year.
Vince has done many run with roles, remember Danger?
I don't think any coaches player traditional "taggers" anymore, in that they still have to be able to do their part in terms when their team has the ball, they can't just have the one skills of being able to shut down an opposition player.

Jake Kelly would probably be an awesome tagger, he's super fit, tackles like a machine and his defensive work is good, but it's questionable if he'd be able to still fit in the side with the precise ball movement that Pyke wants through the middle of the ground.

Are you Squiba? But I thank you for answering the question for me. Outside help it is!
Do you think we could get Voss to come out of retirement as a player and help us out in the centre?
No, apparently, I am one of the rare posters with only one account; although I was thinking of having one called magoo's 2's

If we play Geelong for example, we play Sloane head to head against Danger and tag Selwood and we've gone a long way to beating them.

Except both times this year, with Danger and Sloane going h2h, Selwood didn't have all that much impact on the game, and Geelong's lesser lights thrashed the pants off of everyone after Sloane, notably Guthrie and Motlop both times, with singular cameos from Bartel, Enright, Duncan, Caddy, and Menegola.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might be what saves Douglas his spot in the side, would probably be our best run-with player.
Nah, I don't think he will have the pace anymore, if he did he would be a good choice.

We didn't rate him enough to play him as a pure midfielder last year, he's not a forward and I would prefer not to waste a defensive role on one of our developing mids.

Nah, I don't think he will have the pace anymore, if he did he would be a good choice.

We didn't rate him enough to play him as a pure midfielder last year, he's not a forward and I would prefer not to waste a defensive role on one of our developing mids.

Don't think he's lost much pace probably went from above average to just average. Taggers are rarely super quick anyway, they need high fitness level though. If you didn't want to waste the spot than why did you suggest it?

Don't think he's lost much pace probably went from above average to just average. Taggers are rarely super quick anyway, they need high fitness level though. If you didn't want to waste the spot than why did you suggest it?
I didn't express what I meant very well. I want a tagger, but not one of our young kids doing it, it would be waste.

Douglas is actually a good choice if he hasn't slowed down too much. If we were determined to persist with Mackay he could be another option.

I didn't express what I meant very well. I want a tagger, but not one of our young kids doing it, it would be waste.

Douglas is actually a good choice if he hasn't slowed down too much. If we were determined to persist with Mackay he could be another option.

But MacKay would fall over at the slightest hint of a touch. You want taggers who have a strong core.

He's not strong enough tackler to be a tagger to be honest.

Champion Data has just confirmed what I've thought for some time...they have NFI.
Melbourne's midfield is ranked 18th.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k=a9517e65cb7665c38aa38f78c67bed71-1481281427

I think this shows how difficult it is translate AFL into statistics. There so many different variables and context that need to be factored in. You have to which statistics correspnd to team success, but then undoubtedly there'll be a team with completely different style and strengths that causes an outlier.

Essentially there's more than 1 way to skin a chicken.

In AFL there's only one ultimate statistic and that is the score at then end of the game and it doesn't really matter how you got there. You could have the most dominant midfield and defense in the comp, But if your forwards convert at 30% you're stuffed.

They probably haven't done a horrible job, the top 3 mate midfields rate in the top 5 and on paper Collingwoods midfield is pretty decent. Richmonds midfield also probably isn't their weak point.

I think this shows how difficult it is translate AFL into statistics. There so many different variables and context that need to be factored in. You have to which statistics correspnd to team success, but then undoubtedly there'll be a team with completely different style and strengths that causes an outlier.

Essentially there's more than 1 way to skin a chicken.

In AFL there's only one ultimate statistic and that is the score at then end of the game and it doesn't really matter how you got there. You could have the most dominant midfield and defense in the comp, But if your forwards convert at 30% you're stuffed.

They probably haven't done a horrible job, the top 3 mate midfields rate in the top 5 and on paper Collingwoods midfield is pretty decent. Richmonds midfield also probably isn't their weak point.
:eek: You mean what i've been saying for years is correct .......you mean "using your eyes" can actually be a better analysis that stats .....well i never

Lol, Pies #1, Richmond #4.

Work experience kid covering for Xmas...
Pies midfield is brilliant. Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom. Grundy in ruck. Shame about the rest of their team.

Richmond's midfield would have been alright with Deledio, Cotchin and Martin, if it's based on last year's players. Hard to see it with Deledio moving on. Surely there's a maths error here somewhere.

Except both times this year, with Danger and Sloane going h2h, Selwood didn't have all that much impact on the game, and Geelong's lesser lights thrashed the pants off of everyone after Sloane, notably Guthrie and Motlop both times, with singular cameos from Bartel, Enright, Duncan, Caddy, and Menegola.

You're right about Selwood. And the others you mentioned just prospered because Geelong has our game plan figured and they just cream off as the rest of their teammates happily go about their business of snuffing out our ball movement.

Pies midfield is brilliant. Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom. Grundy in ruck. Shame about the rest of their team.

Richmond's midfield would have been alright with Deledio, Cotchin and Martin, if it's based on last year's players. Hard to see it with Deledio moving on. Surely there's a maths error here somewhere.
Richmond have added Prestia and Caddy. Still ranks too high but that's a pretty good midfield.

Melbournes ranking is the bizarre one but the rest aren't too far off the mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back