Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Matty Crouch and the Rat but I'd trade both for Petracca, he is that good. Should have been picked at number 1 that year.
I've heard it mentioned quite a few times that Petracca is a real FIGJAM type character, apparently thinks he's pretty special himself....

On the Rat he is my pick to have a ripper of a season
Don't get me wrong, if he improves his attack on the man and ball, and maintains his composure under pressure throughout the season, he'll be a very handy player. But in this comparison, still not a contest on talent and ability alone.

Hadn't heard that Bicks, but by the way he carries himself it wouldn't surprise me a whole heap.

I love Matty Crouch and the Rat but I'd trade both for Petracca, he is that good. Should have been picked at number 1 that year.

Yeah as much as I love both of those players we would be miles in front in that deal. I am tipping Melbourne for a top 8 spot this season and he is one of the key reasons.

I think this shows how difficult it is translate AFL into statistics. There so many different variables and context that need to be factored in. You have to which statistics correspnd to team success, but then undoubtedly there'll be a team with completely different style and strengths that causes an outlier.

Essentially there's more than 1 way to skin a chicken.

In AFL there's only one ultimate statistic and that is the score at then end of the game and it doesn't really matter how you got there. You could have the most dominant midfield and defense in the comp, But if your forwards convert at 30% you're stuffed.

They probably haven't done a horrible job, the top 3 mate midfields rate in the top 5 and on paper Collingwoods midfield is pretty decent. Richmonds midfield also probably isn't their weak point.
To quote the ancients.
The whole is worth more than the sum of its parts. Playdough

That only Viney and maybe Lewis would get a game for us comment is ridiculous Imo.

Vince would take D Macs wing any day, Oliver would have been in the guts for Lyons or Thommo (alot of potential), both Lewis and Jones are comparable in experience to Thommo and far less cooked. Petracca is an absolute bull who can play both in the guts and forward. Like Sydney's Kennedy but with more polish...
We hold onto the Crouch bros and Sloane and tbh I'd replace the majority of our inside mids with Melbourne's best in the blink of an eye.

Edit: If anything, surely Petracca really jumps out at you.
What you're saying wouldn't be out of the question but I personally would only play Viney in our midfield on past performance. Some of their younger guys would possibly get a game on potential but we are talking about the quality of their midfield at present so that isn't really relevant. I haven't seen a lot of Petracca but from what I have seen he looks a good prospect. He certianly isn't a star yet though. That's a bit like saying our midfield is good because we have Gallucci.

Jones and Lewis are overrated in my opinion. Although I like the way Jones goes about it, he was for years the best inside mid in a struggling team. These types often get found out once they are surrounded by better players which is starting to happen already. Lewis is naturally overrated because he was the main inside mid in a team that won 3 premierships in a row. In reality though Hawthorns midfield was their weakest area of the ground - especially the contested stuff which was what Lewis was in the team for.

Vince wouldn't be playing for us, especially on a wing. The reason his form has turned around is because he has been able to play as a mid at Melbourne. He wasn't getting a game in the midfield at Adelaide and as a wingman/half forward he was told that he would be delisted and as a result was traded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you're saying wouldn't be out of the question but I personally would only play Viney in our midfield on past performance. Some of their younger guys would possibly get a game on potential but we are talking about the quality of their midfield at present so that isn't really relevant. I haven't seen a lot of Petracca but from what I have seen he looks a good prospect. He certianly isn't a star yet though. That's a bit like saying our midfield is good because we have Gallucci.

Jones and Lewis are overrated in my opinion. Although I like the way Jones goes about it, he was for years the best inside mid in a struggling team. These types often get found out once they are surrounded by better players which is starting to happen already. Lewis is naturally overrated because he was the main inside mid in a team that won 3 premierships in a row. In reality though Hawthorns midfield was their weakest area of the ground - especially the contested stuff which was what Lewis was in the team for.

Vince wouldn't be playing for us, especially on a wing. The reason his form has turned around is because he has been able to play as a mid at Melbourne. He wasn't getting a game in the midfield at Adelaide and as a wingman/half forward he was told that he would be delisted and as a result was traded.
Jordan Lewis overrated because he was an inside mid on a good team

Nathan Jones overrated because he was an inside mid on a bad team

Ok.

Well, since everyone criticizes my selections on players for midfield roles ......seems i may be right after all

Wayne's-World
Inside, outside ......getting a bit sick of this labelling

B.Crouch is a midfielder who plays both .....same Sloane

I think Knight can join that group .......i agree this year maybe premature, but eventually

We have plenty of wing options ......not so midfield ATS

Wayne's-World, Nov 30, 2015
Wayne's-World
Wing players have traditionally been outside predominately .......midfielders need to be both, generally you only carry one inside only

The word "spread from the contest" is frequently used .......players like CEY & Lyons have been criticized for being good inside but poor in spreading to provide that outside option

Just think Knight could be an even better option that Neale Wayne's-World, Nov 30, 2015
Kane McGoodwin
I don't believe we should be using knight as an inside grunt player when we have thommo, Sloane, crouches, Douglas, cey & Lyons more suited to this role.

Knight is a great gut-running player, so let him settle into Afl 1st before redefining his role. Think you may have confused him for Smith, who we are likely to turn into an outside-inside player... ;) Kane McGoodwin, Nov 30, 2015

Knight is faster but also stronger and heavier, having put on 2-3kg to his 80kg frame as he eyes more of a midfield role next year.

“It’s been hard for me with my running capacity to put on weight but I’ve put on a couple of kilos and am starting to get up to a more competitive playing weight,” he said.

“The strength and conditioning staff and dietitians are working pretty closely with me to get that up around where it needs to be to compete through that midfield against the Josh Kennedys and Luke Parkers of the AFL.

“Every year, my (running) times are coming down with more training under the belt.

“You can’t do a lot when you’re injured but it’s good to know when I am back on the park all my times and conditioning and weight gains are starting to improve.”

Adelaide captain Taylor Walker said this week it was important for footballers to be able to play in a range of positions, and used Knight as an example.

“I look at a Riley Knight and if he’s to come into our team, he’s going to have to play inside midfield, outside, go forward
,” Walker said. “So if you can play different positions in the game then it adds a big string to your bow.

Well, since everyone criticizes my selections on players for midfield roles ......seems i may be right after all

Knight is faster but also stronger and heavier, having put on 2-3kg to his 80kg frame as he eyes more of a midfield role next year.

“It’s been hard for me with my running capacity to put on weight but I’ve put on a couple of kilos and am starting to get up to a more competitive playing weight,” he said.

“The strength and conditioning staff and dietitians are working pretty closely with me to get that up around where it needs to be to compete through that midfield against the Josh Kennedys and Luke Parkers of the AFL.

“Every year, my (running) times are coming down with more training under the belt.

“You can’t do a lot when you’re injured but it’s good to know when I am back on the park all my times and conditioning and weight gains are starting to improve.”

Adelaide captain Taylor Walker said this week it was important for footballers to be able to play in a range of positions, and used Knight as an example.

“I look at a Riley Knight and if he’s to come into our team, he’s going to have to play inside midfield, outside, go forward
,” Walker said. “So if you can play different positions in the game then it adds a big string to your bow.
Yep calling Knight a midfielder is right out there thinking that no one could have predicted.

"We're going to steal your children, wreck both their knees and then delist them in shame and give them back to you in pieces with no education or future job prospects"

More likely we'll pay them for six years even though they can't get on the park, then once they've completely ruled out ever being a professional footballer and they've retired, we'll gift them one more year for being a good bloke.

What issue do you have with my quote?

Knight would have played mainly as an outside player this year if he was injury free whilst thommo, m crouch, Sloane & Lyons took most inside minutes.

Like Sloane I think he will develop into an inside/outside player.

Next season he will play the vast majority on the outside, with small stints on the inside.

What issue do you have with my quote?

Knight would have played mainly as an outside player this year if he was injury free whilst thommo, m crouch, Sloane & Lyons took most inside minutes.

Like Sloane I think he will develop into an inside/outside player.

Next season he will play the vast majority on the outside, with small stints on the inside.

Just on the Bolded section, The One person we forget about is Pyke and the influence he will have , he does not want 1-2 players to getting high 30 in disposals every week, he wants 8 -10 players playing through the middle getting 25 plus, Added to a few of the top liners giving us the X factor and a few more touches. Mention last year I don't expect too many standout players but a more consistent group of players, allowing us to give 100% pressure at the contest no matter who is there.
We did see a bit of his style and he was slowly getting the players to play his way. in 2016 we did not have the death in the type of player he needed, So he had to build some depth and experience.

Just on the Bolded section, The One person we forget about is Pyke and the influence he will have , he does not want 1-2 players to getting high 30 in disposals every week, he wants 8 -10 players playing through the middle getting 25 plus, Added to a few of the top liners giving us the X factor and a few more touches. Mention last year I don't expect too many standout players but a more consistent group of players, allowing us to give 100% pressure at the contest no matter who is there.
We did see a bit of his style and he was slowly getting the players to play his way. in 2016 we did not have the death in the type of player he needed, So he had to build some depth and experience.
I agree we are better off developing players who can play multiple roles, including rotating through the midfield.

We know Sloane & Crouches should be our main stays.

But we need Cameron, knight, Atkins, Smith, Hampton, milera, menzel, seedsman, wigg types to rotate thorough multiple positions to give us depth.

We have capable players & positions up for grabs, so I'm looking forward to see who really wants it.

I agree we are better off developing players who can play multiple roles, including rotating through the midfield.

We know Sloane & Crouches should be our main stays.

But we need Cameron, knight, Atkins, Smith, Hampton, milera, menzel, seedsman, wigg types to rotate thorough multiple positions to give us depth.

We have capable players & positions up for grabs, so I'm looking forward to see who really wants it.

Yes, I will be confident and say, when we get the growth out of those players we will have a good solid Midfield, capable of running with the best.
And Like your looking forward to seeing which one's want it.

So no one has posted the Riley Knight articles...?

Adelaide Crows’ Riley Knight vows to get his spot back
0e4821133f342e9cbc98a435c9d2f926

Reece Homfray, The Advertiser
December 11, 2016 12:00am

a07bdad691e34574137f304e027f8bac

ADELAIDE forward Riley Knight has already set about winning back his spot in the Crows’ best 22 after his progression was stalled by injury this year.

The 21-year-old has fronted for pre-season training in top condition and has no lingering effects from the ankle injury which saw him miss three months this season and play just one AFL game.

Knight was first across the line in one of the Crows’ time trials this week and is setting PB times on the track as he eyes a possible move further up the ground and into the midfield next season.

He admitted it was frustrating sitting on the sidelines while some of his young teammates cemented themselves in Adelaide’s team in 2016, but says it has given him a challenge to focus on over summer.

“Rory Atkins had a really good standout year after a taste of it in 2015 and it’s hard to see those guys take the next step in their footy and you have to sit back and watch and wait another year for that to happen,” Knight said.

“And Charlie Cameron is another one who played some really good footy and has another year under his belt.

“So it’s hard to watch that and know that could have been you, but you can’t help injuries and just have to cop it on the chin and move on.”

Knight will also find himself competing for a game against Adelaide’s latest batch of draftees who he described as mature, talented and with an X-factor.

“We have some really mature first-year recruits who will be looking for spots,” Knight said. “Jordy Gallucci will be a massive asset for us and Myles Poholke is a really good young talent as well, and all the other blokes who have been drafted have a real X-factor about them so it will be good to see what they can bring to the team.

“Then there is that core group in the SANFL who are in their second and third year and trying to establish themselves at AFL level.

“It’s really good it drives the standard of training over the pre-season to another level.

“You’re continually trying to add more strings to your bow and next year hopefully I’ll get a bit more of a midfield role and get up around the wings.

“Predominantly I’ll still be playing that high half-forward role but over the coming seasons hopefully I’ll be moving into the midfield a bit more.”

Riley Knight is running his way back into Crows contention
58953903f7c53d531d1624d54ae4317b

Reece Homfray, The Advertiser
December 11, 2016 12:00am

52d898beb3f222a2e90275db4d8d3fdc

YOUNG Crow Riley Knight is running PBS at training — and his secret to getting faster was to slow down in the off-season.

After struggling with a persistent ankle injury for much of the season, the temptation was to do everything and more that was asked of the forward in preparation for the start of summer as he tries to win back his spot in Adelaide’s side.

In previous years, Knight would go home to Clare in the off-season and follow a running program from the fitness coach but with his own added extras thrown in, believing the more the better.

But it was doing more harm than good, so this time Knight went home, celebrated his 21st birthday and took the foot slightly off the pedal.

“I tried to follow the program this year,” Knight said.

“In the past couple of years, I’ve sort of gone a bit over what I should be doing, and as a result, obviously got a few injuries that probably could have been prevented.

“I was obviously trying to do too much to stay real fit and at the top of the pack.

“So this year, I just backed it off a little bit, did the program, and wouldn’t you know it, I’ve come back with no injuries and in really good shape.

“I obviously missed a big chunk of footy last season so I wanted to stay fit and keep the niggles away. And all the ankle injuries and niggles I had during the year are gone and the body is feeling refreshed. It’s feeling the best it ever has.”
300f2605fbbdfa0407d101a5ec68e277

“I look at a Riley Knight and if he’s to come into our team, he’s going to have to play inside midfield, outside, go forward,” Walker said. “So if you can play different positions in the game then it adds a big string to your bow.”

Big things were expected of Knight this season after he played 11 AFL games, including both finals, in 2015. But an ankle injury crept in during pre-season and flared up again midyear when he copped a kick and missed almost all of May, June and July.

The Woodville-West Torrens product played only one AFL game in round three and though he finished the year strongly in the SANFL, other players such as Rory Atkins had suddenly gone past him.

“The ones (injuries) I got this year were more sort of freak ankle incidents,” he said. “The long-term one, I got kicked on an ankle in a game and flared that up. It was a bit disappointing to get a freak incident like that that kept me out for so long after a really promising 2015 but everyone gets injuries, so you’ve got to deal with it and move on.

“It was more frustrating because I’ve seen what some other players have been able to go on and do. Rory Atkins had a really good standout year after a taste of it in 2015 and (it’s hard) to see those guys take the next step in their footy and you have to sit back and watch and wait another year for that to happen.”

The Crows have two full weeks of training to go before Christmas. Knight is planning a big six-week block leading into the pre-season competition, which for Adelaide starts on February 24 against Richmond in Melbourne.

“There’s only so long you can train without playing against an opposition, so it will be good to see where we’re at and set ourselves up for a big round-one clash against the Giants,” Knight said.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...n/news-story/58953903f7c53d531d1624d54ae4317b

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...k/news-story/0e4821133f342e9cbc98a435c9d2f926

this is where the stat-heads always lose out, to borrow a good line from all the super ads - "past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance"
Yeah? Watch everyone analyse the fixture as who has the toughest / easiest run ... every year they get it wrong, and yet every year punters fall back on it in the pre-season.

As far as the midfield rankings go, maybe they need change the title OR at least show some detail of what the hell they are talking about? Ranks on what basis?

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2016/2017 Pre-season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back