2016 AFL Semi Final - Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, MCG, Friday, Sept 16th, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah fair call, I would think if they're going to get the nervous stumbles it is most likely to be in a final played in Melbourne (especially a grand final). The poster I was quoting was suggesting they might get nervous in their prelim (played at Spotless) so I guess I was referring more to that.
Yeah true, I missed the prelim part. I think the giants have been kissed on the you-know-what so far, didn't need to travel and played a team that finished higher not on their home ground. Shame they didn't need to travel to Perth, Melb or Adelaide.

Also played pretty dirty IMO, no problem with that though. Its a final. But the Swans lost 2 important players off the ground for periods of the game. Only resulted in a week for Stevie J.

No good crying about it, but I do think the hype has been a bit blown out of proportion.

I know the heart rules the head in these optimistic doggies winning predictions, but it still stands that the dog's haven't beaten the Hawks since 09 and rarely play at the G, with its wide wings the dogs won't be able to suffocate the flanks and get their run going as easily the Hawks will spread them thin.

Hawks haven't lost 2 in a row in nearly 3 seasons and evidence shows they always come out of the blocks breathing fire after a loss. I loved the dogs game last week, but they versed a side very mentally weak going into a game they considered a formality, hardly Hawks after a loss. If they managed to get it done I'd be hoping they can take it the whole way but couldn't see then taking out GWS anyhow.

Hawks by 30+

Guess we may as well just forfeit then.

Hawks still one of the teams to beat but I'm going Doggies in an upset. Not only a fast attacking game plan that suits the match up but a gun mid field. If they can win the contested ball (Hawks weakness this year) and their defence holds they could run the Hawks off their feet. Dogs by 1 point.

I think Hawks would demolish them like they demolished Adelaide in last year's semi (hope I'm wrong) - however I thought the Eagles would do the same to them last week.
That's to be expected, dogs haven't beaten the cats in years. I wouldn't respect the cats either if the situation was reversed.

No doubt that we'll be considerable underdogs, but I think we will be up for the fight.

Thought wce would be far too challenging. I'm strangely optimistic about this. I worry a little about a repeat of 2006 where we caused an upset in the EF and then were pantsed in the semi. But this team has a different feel.
Our 2006 team had more outside players and wasn't built for high pressure finals. The current team is considerably tougher :thumbsu:

dogs great chance in this there speed will worry the hawkes
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

should be a corker, well, hopefully it is.

Both sides are exceptional at pressuring opposition kicks forward and therefore get away with undersized back lines at times and cut a lot of entries off. Also very good transition teams that prevent turnovers reasonably well. I anticipate and absolute struggle.

The hawks midsized-small forward line tortures teams whilst the mid sized defence of the dogs is arguably the best in the comp this year. Can this back line disrupt enough of the hawks attacking forays? The little hawks love to keep the ball in motion, they're agile, sharp by hand and they trust each other. They'll make me pee my pants a lot on friday.

I think the dogs have a slight aerial advantage in this game. Boyd and Roughead have been cheeky good as targets in the last 6 weeks which gives a pretty savvy ground ball brigade an advantage at times, hopefully it helps us create a few paddocks on Friday. This slight aerial advantage should mean little if we don't get enough unpressured kicks forward.

In the contest honestly it's way more even than anyone would think. Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Lewis and Shiels love a contest and they get their mits in the way of everything their opposition is trying to do. We do a similar thing, our tackles stick, but no way would i be backing our kids to easily win significant centre clearances. We're tough, able and clean by hand so it'll be an arm wrestle, but the momentum will probably swing like a pendulum. Players like Stringer in scrimmages upfield will be important because it's hard to score against Hawthorn without someone who can break things up by shrugging tackles and create mayhem.

The big three we need to stop:

Burgoyne- The guy's a professional match winner, makes Hawthorn Hawthorn with his BS goal kicking and momentum snatching.

Mitchell- The less he gets of it, the less he draws a crowd in congestion and opens up everything for others.

Rioli- Obviously if he has his way with us we're cooked. Can kill us with 10 touches though so Morris might have to glove him

That's not mentioning Hodge, Gibson or Smith so goes to show how good they are.

Three we need to go well:

Stringer- if he has a good game and combines some good touch upfield with some converting it'll go a long way to helping us win. He can destroy structure which Hawthorn can hold with most other players.

T Boyd- if he sticks some marks deep forward it'll go a long way to exposing the Hawks for height down there. I understand they have Frawley and great help defence but there's some chinks possibly going off their last few games and this bloke is a big old lump who extends his arms with the best of them.

Libba- critically important to our team. We know Bont will will his way into things and get our chains going/ get a shot or two at goal off, and we know Dahlhaus will tackle like a maniac, win plenty of the pill. But Libba has a nice combo of both. He's like Hodge in that he can strip his opponent and therefore win you a dangerous clearance and he sticks big tackles. Huge barometer.

Others are obviously Bont, Moz and the rebounding backs

Tough ones for the dogs. Hard to come up against a team dripping with success. Hawthorn literally glow with premierships and superiority. Every morsel of their club isdominated by success.

Dogs on the other hand are unsuccessful battlers, its bloody hard to overcome decades of misery, pain, and thrashings. Even the bootstudders doubt themselves at every turn.

Hawthorn players and fans will turn up 100% confident of a comfortable win. Some will pretend doubt, feign doubt...its all bs.
That is why the succeed so much in my opinion. Dont think, do! As they say...

That's what everyone said about the qualifying final and they handled everything we threw at them then spat it back in our faces :oops: So I guess it could happen but I wouldn't put money on it, they look like the real finals deal.

Don't pump them up too much.. Mills out 2nd qtr and also Tippet and JK spending time off the ground concussed, which then obviously effected thrm for the rest of the game.

Vs a healthy team all game and with no Stevie J up forward.. GWS will 100% lose to whoever they play next.

I think we should apologize right now and let the Eagles have our spot this week.
I don't remember suggesting anything like that, just stating facts regarding teams histories and a prediction, ease up. Is this not the right thread for predicting how I think the game might turn out? Don't be so touchy both of you it's a forum.

Tough ones for the dogs. Hard to come up against a team dripping with success. Hawthorn literally glow with premierships and superiority. Every morsel of their club isdominated by success.

Dogs on the other hand are unsuccessful battlers, its bloody hard to overcome decades of misery, pain, and thrashings. Even the bootstudders doubt themselves at every turn.

Hawthorn players and fans will turn up 100% confident of a comfortable win. Some will pretend doubt, feign doubt...its all bs.
That is why the succeed so much in my opinion. Dont think, do! As they say...
Oh shit, did I put the studs in the correct way.

Geezus, the only way I could possibly accept any of that was if Morgan Freeman himself narrated that, and even then I'd struggle.

****ing dramatic.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Semi Final - Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, MCG, Friday, Sept 16th, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back