2016 AFL Semi Final - Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, MCG, Friday, Sept 16th, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sicily is far from average. Could just be the sort of player to step up if their stars are being well held.

Stuck the knife into us in round 3 this year for example.

He's an x-factor for us. We could've used him last week against Geelong. He was the forward the Bulldogs just couldn't contain in Round 3.

I think the Dogs will put a tight match-up on him this time. Maybe Wood or Morris.

He's an x-factor for us. We could've used him last week against Geelong. He was the forward the Bulldogs just couldn't contain in Round 3.
Good way to describe him. Kind of why I'm hoping Toby McLean comes in to replace Jong. Great overhead for his size and very dangerous around a loose ball.

Might need Morris on Cyril.
Perhaps Boyd or Biggs on Sicily? Sicily better in the air but he probably won't defend too tightly - alternative is Wood but he might be needed if the Hawks play a resting ruck down forward, particularly if Morris does take Cyril

Three days is long?

Maybe before your time, but we remember Southern almost strangling Peter Sumich. We remember a very young Michael Gardiner being attacked by a pack of rabid dogs at your bog ordinary oval and we remember Grant trying to tell all and sundry that it was not a premeditated event.

I know the heart rules the head in these optimistic doggies winning predictions, but it still stands that the dog's haven't beaten the Hawks since 09 and rarely play at the G, with its wide wings the dogs won't be able to suffocate the flanks and get their run going as easily the Hawks will spread them thin.

Hawks haven't lost 2 in a row in nearly 3 seasons and evidence shows they always come out of the blocks breathing fire after a loss. I loved the dogs game last week, but they versed a side very mentally weak going into a game they considered a formality, hardly Hawks after a loss. If they managed to get it done I'd be hoping they can take it the whole way but couldn't see then taking out GWS anyhow.

Hawks by 30+

Happy whoever wins.

will be pleased for the Dogs and their fans.

but fk me what I would give to see a Hawks v Cats Grand Final.

Although gws will kill hawks up there.

I know the heart rules the head in these optimistic doggies winning predictions, but it still stands that the dog's haven't beaten the Hawks since 09 and rarely play at the G, with its wide wings the dogs won't be able to suffocate the flanks and get their run going as easily the Hawks will spread them thin.

Hawks haven't lost 2 in a row in nearly 3 seasons and evidence shows they always come out of the blocks breathing fire after a loss. I loved the dogs game last week, but they versed a side very mentally weak going into a game they considered a formality, hardly Hawks after a loss. If they managed to get it done I'd be hoping they can take it the whole way but couldn't see then taking out GWS anyhow.

Hawks by 30+
Last time you beat eagles in perth?

We made Geelong look slow and ran the Cats within 2 points missing Roughead, Sicily, Ceglar. No one gave us a chance last week and we were unlucky not to win. Our performance against Geelong was far more impressive then what Hawthorn dished up against West Coast in last years Qualifying Final.
Tbh Geelong are fairly slow. Making them. Look slow ain't anything to brag about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Boyd or Biggs on Sicily? Sicily better in the air but he probably won't defend too tightly - alternative is Wood but he might be needed if the Hawks play a resting ruck down forward, particularly if Morris does take Cyril
Going to need team defensive structures to beat the premiers. They have a lot of dangerous goalkickers, Bruest is a gun.

Hawks by 30+

There is always more hype around the EF winners than the QF losers, but invariably the latter win. We are a fickle bunch.

The Hawks should be favourites as you beat us earlier in the year and had a superior H&A season. Then there is, of course, your finals record.

But, having said that, this Bulldogs team has a lot of belief and I think anything is possible on the night. If we are ferocious at the contest, run hard and use the ball well, we can beat you.

I expect you to go hard at us early. If we can match you in the first quarter, then we will be in for a cracking game.

Look out for Roughead the younger and Tommy Boyd to impose themselves on the contest and around the ground.

This game will be Shaun Burgoyne's 33rd final. No player has played more games in the AFL since Round 1 2011.

He's played 145 out of the last 149 games since then.

2011: 24 games
2012: 24 games
2013: 23 games
2014: 25 games
2015: 26 games
2016: 23 games*

Most Finals
1. Michael Tuck - 39 finals
2. Shaun Burgoyne - 33 finals*
3. Gordon Coventry - 31 finals

:D I'm still coming to grips with the fact we can sit back this week and watch other clubs battle for the right to play us in a semi, suspect I'm gonna be pretty happy when I do.
As for this game, I have a lot of respect for the Hawks, and for the Bulldogs midfield. I'm not gonna pick it. I hope there are no injuries or suspensions in the game. and the winner turns up confident at Spotless.
With 2 weeks in 3 off we'll need a tough match going into the GF, and if we're not good enough, so be it. I'll probably sulk for a while and then focus on next yesr.

There is always more hype around the EF winners than the QF losers, but invariably the latter win. We are a fickle bunch.

The Hawks should be favourites as you beat us earlier in the year and had a superior H&A season. Then there is, of course, your finals record.

But, having said that, this Bulldogs team has a lot of belief and I think anything is possible on the night. If we are ferocious at the contest, run hard and use the ball well, we can beat you.

I expect you to go hard at us early. If we can match you in the first quarter, then we will be in for a cracking game.

Look out for Roughead the younger and Tommy Boyd to impose themselves on the contest and around the ground.

This. Hawks will be asked to throw the weight around and intimidate the dogs on the big stage I reckon.

Hopefully we can withstand the pressure. If they try roughing up Clay Smith it could backfire on them :D

I can see GWS getting jelly legs in a prelim.

That's what everyone said about the qualifying final and they handled everything we threw at them then spat it back in our faces :oops: So I guess it could happen but I wouldn't put money on it, they look like the real finals deal.

That's what everyone said about the qualifying final and they handled everything we threw at them then spat it back in our face :oops: So I guess it could happen but I wouldn't put money on it, they look like the real finals deal.
It was a game played in their hometown at a neutral venue. If they can replicate it in front of 95k at the G I will sit up and take notice. Lets see if they get the opportunity.

It was a game played in their hometown at a neutral venue. If they can replicate it in front of 95k at the G I will sit up and take notice. Lets see if they get the opportunity.

Yeah fair call, I would think if they're going to get the nervous stumbles it is most likely to be in a final played in Melbourne (especially a grand final). The poster I was quoting was suggesting they might get nervous in their prelim (played at Spotless) so I guess I was referring more to that.

Back to this game, I'm keen on a Doggies win. I really like the chances of them beating the Hawks in contested ball then opening them up on the outside. I don't buy in to the 'Hawks will be angry', 'Hawks never lose two in a row', 'Doggies never beat the Hawks' stuff. The Doggies showed last week with a rare Perth win that such stats can be pretty meaningless sometimes.

Maybe before your time, but we remember Southern almost strangling Peter Sumich. We remember a very young Michael Gardiner being attacked by a pack of rabid dogs at your bog ordinary oval and we remember Grant trying to tell all and sundry that it was not a premeditated event.

I remember beating you last week. Good times.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Semi Final - Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, MCG, Friday, Sept 16th, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back