2016 AFL Semi Final - Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, MCG, Friday, Sept 16th, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh shit, did I put the studs in the correct way.

Geezus, the only way I could possibly accept any of that was if Morgan Freeman himself narrated that, and even then I'd struggle.

******* dramatic.
Haha i can imagine Morgan Freeman's voice on that

only way I see the Hawks winning is if doggies choke.

I suspect you, like a lot of crows fans, would want to see this.

Hawthorn winning is unlikely to be a choke by us

Don't pump them up too much.. Mills out 2nd qtr and also Tippet and JK spending time off the ground concussed, which then obviously effected thrm for the rest of the game.

Vs a healthy team all game and with no Stevie J up forward.. GWS will 100% lose to whoever they play next.
Haha
Put you're house on it.

I suspect you, like a lot of crows fans, would want to see this.

Hawthorn winning is unlikely to be a choke by us
Not so. I will be cheering the Dogs on Friday night. I have a lot of admiration for them and love the way they play. We know Hawthorn don't choke, they are proven finals performers. Your caliber in finals is yet to be proved (much like the Crows). I'm just saying that if one side out of the 2 are going to choke on Friday night it will be the doggies. It's hard to argue with that I think. Having said all that I hope the doggies win and progress further as I do the Crows; It's good to see a changing of the guard in the finals.

Not so. I will be cheering the Dogs on Friday night. I have a lot of admiration for them and love the way they play. We know Hawthorn don't choke, they are proven finals performers. Your caliber in finals is yet to be proved (much like the Crows). I'm just saying that if one side out of the 2 are going to choke on Friday night it will be the doggies. It's hard to argue with that I think. Having said all that I hope the doggies win and progress further as I do the Crows; It's good to see a changing of the guard in the finals.
Hawthorn don't choke? What happened on Friday night?

I don't remember suggesting anything like that, just stating facts regarding teams histories and a prediction, ease up. Is this not the right thread for predicting how I think the game might turn out? Don't be so touchy both of you it's a forum.

Thanks for that captain serious.

I'd hardly call that a choke by Hawthorn. It was one player that choked at the end not the entire team.
You have no idea. Multiple Hawthorn players made mistakes at the end, culminating in Smith missing an relatively easy goal to win the game. A few years ago Hawthorn would never have lost that game. This time they choked...they clearly had multiple opportunities to win it but blew their chances.

You have no idea. Multiple Hawthorn players made mistakes at the end, culminating in Smith missing an relatively easy goal to win the game. A few years ago Hawthorn would never have lost that game. This time they choked...they clearly had multiple opportunities to win it but blew their chances.
I think we lost because we made a number of uncharacteristic, unforced errors during the game that frequently resulted in goals to the Cats. We should of won by a couple of goals, I thought we played a bit better than the Cats. I don't think Doggies fan should assume we are spent, rather we are just warming up. Nor do I think Cats fans should believe they have the GF in the bag, a lot to play out yet.

Every1 saying GWS will beat either team comfortably. Don't forget they lost only 3 games ago to West Coast on there home deck. Don't think they are a certainty. Yes they would be favourites but they aren't black caviar odds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO to beat the Hawks you need to do 2 things: limit their disposal efficiency and be efficient yourselves.

Hawks have shown this season that winning the contested possessions doesn't matter against them. They let their opponents get the ball then simply pressure them into booting the ball forward as they set up in the right position and then either score from the turnover or quickly move the ball from end to end for an easy mark in the 50. Players are also smart enough not to overcommit to a contest and they routinely find players in space with a smart tap.

One way teams get around this is by sticking contested marks. Cats won this 18-6 last weekend, while Melb won it 13-7 on the back on Max Gawn when we finally got them. It denies them the ability to tap it to space and also increases the teams ability to break through Hawthorns set up.

The dogs shouldn't have a problem winning the contested possessions, they are ranked 1st for uncontested and effective disposals, they are around the same mark for contested marks as the Hawks. The problem area is forward efficiency and not being able to keep it in their forward line. They were ranked last in opponent rebound 50's this year. Against the Eagles it looked like a problem early but then the got going and started slotting goals.

If the dogs can maintain their averages and be more efficient up forward, while pressuring the Hawks into lowering their DE and uncontested numbers, they will win.

If the Hawks keep their DE high i think they will win. If they win the contested possessions they will win by a lot.

I think we lost because we made a number of uncharacteristic, unforced errors that frequently resulted in goals to the Cats. We should of won by a couple of goals, I thought we played a bit better than the Cats. I don't think Doggies fan should assume we are spent, rather we are just warming up.

You also got goals out of some brilliant bits of play from the likes of Breust, Gunston and Rioli.

A bit of credit to Geelong wouldn't go astray. We're the second best defensive team in the league and to hold you to 83 points when your stars in Mitchell, Hodge, Rioli, Lewis and Burgoyne were all up and about was a good effort - most teams in our position would have easily had 100+ scored against us.

As for the flow of the game, I thought it was fairly evenly split. We clearly outplayed you in Q1 and you outplayed us in Q2. The third Q was evenly split with you opening up a 17 point lead and us kicking three goals in six minutes to get it back. The final quarter was an arm wrestle and the ball was in our forward half for almost the entire last 15 minutes until the fast break in the last 30 seconds.

I think we lost because we made a number of uncharacteristic, unforced errors during the game that frequently resulted in goals to the Cats. We should of won by a couple of goals, I thought we played a bit better than the Cats. I don't think Doggies fan should assume we are spent, rather we are just warming up. Nor do I think Cats fans should believe they have the GF in the bag, a lot to play out yet.
I don't think that anyone thinks your team is spent - I was just challenging the notion that the Hawks never, ever choke but the Bulldogs surely will.

You also got goals out of some brilliant bits of play from the likes of Breust, Gunston and Rioli.

A bit of credit to Geelong wouldn't go astray. We're the second best defensive team in the league and to hold you to 83 points when your stars in Mitchell, Hodge, Rioli, Lewis and Burgoyne were all up and about was a good effort - most teams in our position would have easily had 100+ scored against us.

As for the flow of the game, I thought it was fairly evenly split. We clearly outplayed you in Q1 and you outplayed us in Q2. The third Q was evenly split with you opening up a 17 point lead and us kicking three goals in six minutes to get it back. The final quarter was an arm wrestle and the ball was in our forward half for almost the entire last 15 minutes until the fast break in the last 30 seconds.

No disrespect to the Cats, and essentially I agree with your assessment, pretty even game, but I thought we should have been a little bit ahead on the scoreboard at the end. Still, another classic has been played between the teams, hopefully we get to play each other again this year, what a cracker it would be.

No disrespect to the Cats, and essentially I agree with your assessment, pretty even game, but I thought we should have been a little bit ahead on the scoreboard at the end. Still, another classic has been played between the teams, hopefully we get to play each other again this year, what a cracker it would be.

I don't think my heart can handle another Cats v Hawks game for at least six months....

BF is a joke these days, people whinging about stevic/umpires before the ball is even bounced, whinging about GWS' reign of terror when they've won one (1) final... 2016 is year of the sook

Very defensive you mob aren't you? Mmm. ..:weary:

Yeah I think the Hawks were a bit better over the course of the game. We weren't that good and the GF is not in the bag, particularly not if we have to play Sydney.

I'll be in full voice barracking for the Doggies on Friday night, they will blast the Hawks in the middle, just whether they can hold their composure on the outside for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 AFL Semi Final - Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, MCG, Friday, Sept 16th, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back