Universal Love 2016 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Matty lappin freakin underated bloke. Was an all Australian .
100%. One of my Favorite all time Blues Players. Used to love him breaking the lines and directing traffic. Really thought he gave this club a lot more than it gave him and he deserved a better ending to his career than we gave him. The club basically just dumped him with no fanfare.

In a similar predicament. We live rural and have only been to one game a year for the last six years. It is just too costly for a young family.
My young bloke is in grade 6 and he has almost jumped ship a couple of times. The thing that saved him from jumping ship was the fact we were at the game of A.Walker's famous mark and it was right in front of us. As the ball was coming into forward line I said to him "watch Walker" as I could see he was in a prime spot so both of us were watching Walker not the ball when he took it. I've never seen my young blokes face light up like it did at that moment and he still talks about it to this day and it gets a run on YouTube often.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I said a similar thing to my oldest daughter a few years earlier :

'Watch Luke Livingston !!'.

....she barracks for Geelong now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same reason I don't play golf anymore I started a new business and had kids all at the same time which probably wasn't the smartest move but I'm here now so just dealing with it. On a positive note in last 5 years I've brought in 3 new Blues members into the world so fingers crossed by the time they are all at school the Blues will be killing it again. :D

Did the same.

Started a business and kids arrived at the same time.

FMD what a nightmare!!!!!

The end of life as I knew it.

This seems like something that the club has helped to arrange, would that be right?

I keep forgetting we recruited Pickett, he's the forgotten man in all this elation.

Not forgotten by me! Have him pencilled in for a round 10 debut and 8 games for the season. Followed by a full preseason then dominating our midfield and HFF for the next decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recognise that AFL is a business, and can be a pretty cynical and unforgiving but I love the emotion of this draft...

- SPS wanting to come to Melbourne after mastering the move from Halls Creek to Perth, including learning a new language
- Fisher being Dennis' third cousin
- Alex Silvagni playing for the team he barracked for as a kid, loved Sticks, Williams etc
- Macreadie playing for the team he barracked for as a kid, probably had #5 on his back at Auskick
- Patrick Kerr's family connection to the club

I realise that every draftee has a story, and maybe this draft has just underlined that for me.

Three more things stand out then from this draft:
1. The experts' view that we've drafted kids who can run and kick is great.
2. Their interviews on CFC TV suggest an awareness of the hard work that lies ahead, coupled with great enthusiasm.
3. I was hoping to hit the draft with 5 top 30 picks and was disappointed that we didn't. But we may have just ended up with a similar haul given the shifting draft values of guys like Macreadie, Kerr and LeBois.

We may take a step backwards next year on field, but I am even more certain this year than last that we are tracking in a great direction.

OK then show us an example of Alex silvagni leadership?
Find one

I think if he had leadership written all over him and he was a so so player he wouldn't have been delisted by Ross

I can certainly find you an example of Ross Lyon miscalculating a players' leadership contribution: Luke Ball. And it probably cost Ross a premiership in the end.

OK then show us an example of Alex silvagni leadership?
Find one

I think if he had leadership written all over him and he was a so so player he wouldn't have been delisted by Ross

Don't be daft.

Freo have plenty of leaders, by virtue of the fact that they've neglected their youth in pursuit of a flag. They've realised that, and have subsequently cut loose some of the older blokes and brought in young talent for another tilt in a few years time.

Every year there are good senior players who get delisted by their clubs. Some of them are happy enough to move on to the next stage of their lives, some of them have the desire to have another crack at a new club. If we feel Alex Silvagni can play a valuable role in the continued development of our young playing group, a rookie spot is a good price to pay. Look at Adelaide - they've re-rookied Sam Shaw (who's effectively retired because of injuries) to make sure he is properly looked after when the new CBA kicks in. Most of the time, rookie spots are best used for speculative young kids. We've got so many young kids on our main list, we're in a good position to throw a rookie spot to an older player who can play a role and who purportedly (by the club) offers leadership qualities.

The club knows where we're at and what personalities and qualities we need to address. They've picked up one older player this year, so they're hardly tossing out the reset plan. Last time we picked up a delisted senior player, he went on to lead our goal-kicking.

Conspiracy time!!
Just listening to Zac Fisher on the radio and he's best buddies with Griffen Logue (drafted to Dockers). He had a slip of the tongue and said he always hoped to play along side Griffen one day. He quickly corrected himself and said "against" .

SOS is very good mates with Ross Lyon, any possibility we went for the two WA boys because they may also give us some extra bargaining power with the rumoured Fyfe deal?. Yes, I know we don't have to give anything, but still............

Am I just a bored idiot who needed to type something..............or have I stumbled across a cunning plan?????????/
We just have to make an offer to Fyfe that Freo won't match!

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love 2016 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back