2016 Draft Thread - The Rebuild Begins

If available, which player do you want us to select at pick 7?

• Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 123 45.6%
  • Tim English

Votes: 50 18.5%
  • Ben Ainsworth

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • Griffin Logue

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • Todd Marshall

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Jack Scrimshaw

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Josh Rotham

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Oliver Florent

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Cedric Cox

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we take Logue at #7 I really hope West Coast don't get SPS. Is that selfish? I really like him but unfortunately I don't think I could if he pulled on the yellow and blue.

I think bidding on Zac Sproule would be a better option. Mitch McCarthy would also be a better project in my opinion, 19 year old who recently returned from a stint playing basketball in the US. He could fall around pick 40.

As for Narkle, probably not if we got SPS. But if you consider him a small forward rather than a midfielder, the selection makes a bit more sense.

Big fan of Zac Sproule, good height for a tall forward, good mark and kicks straight.

I saw Knightmare had us taking English at 7 over SPS in his Phantom Draft released yesterday but really hope this is not the case. As Gussman said above, the idea that we end up with a tall midfielder instead of a ruckman scares the hell out me and would much rather us take Logue, Taranto, Ainsworth, Brodie etc.

English obviously has potential but whether it is ever realised is the big ?

The possibilities available to us at 7 are huge. If it goes the way of Knighmares phantom (unlikely) Taranto, SPS, English, Setterfield (bid) and Florent will all be in Lloyd's thinking but the chances are one falls through, so he'd need to also be all over Ainsworth, Brodie and Scrimshaw. Tough choice. I wonder if he's got one in mind that stands out as best if available? I'm guessing it's Ainsworth. The others are all so even.

Sorry, we're you thinking SPS or anyone else is a sure thing?

Yeh, good point Gav. I know it is all speculative at this stage, just get caught up in the anticipation and hope of what might be. Whoever we choose, be it English or otherwise, I will welcome them and hope they become a great player for Freo.

If we take Logue at #7 I really hope West Coast don't get SPS. Is that selfish? I really like him but unfortunately I don't think I could if he pulled on the yellow and blue.

WC's first pick is 12 and there is no way that North (11) or GC (8 & 10) would both pass on him (SPS). I'm not an expert on either list but with Daniel Wells gone, North Melbourne might be looking to replace him. And GC lost Harley to us last year so a similar styled player wont get passed them. Can you imagine the damage that a Jack Martin and SPS pair could do. About the some as a Jack Martin and Harley Bennell pair. I very much doubt that WCE will have the chance to pick up SPS if we do end up passing on him.

WC (in my opinion) will likely go after a small/medium forward. So a Jy Simpkin or Shai Bolton to try and replace the Hayden Ballentyne that never was.

If we do go SPS it may hint at some reservation about Bennell and his injury. Of course he is worthy in his own right, but without the class of either Bennell or SPS we risk being a bit pedestrian.

If we do go SPS it may hint at some reservation about Bennell and his injury. Of course he is worthy in his own right, but without the class of either Bennell or SPS we risk being a bit pedestrian.

I don't think it has anything to do with Bennell's injury.

Retaining Clarke will make it more likely that we don't reach for a ruckman (if the recruiters consider they would be reaching).
A classy midfielder is always worth getting, whether we have other classy midfielders or not.

I have a feeling that SPS will go higher than 7 anyway, despite what many of the phantom drafts say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm starting to come round on Tim English. 206cm, sub 11 minute 3km, reasonable leap, good skills. There is an absolute heap to like. It's really only the wait to reap the rewards that sucks. List balance wise he's perfect.

You're not the only one that says that, there's a heap on here that do, but I really don't get that thinking. How many draftees impact games at the top level in their first two years let alone get regular games? 10%? 15%? 20%?

All things being equal, English will play as many games in his first two years as many of the other first round picks. It might not be in the ruck full time but he'll play. I think Brodie, McGrath, McCluggage, Logue and perhaps Taranto will play early but most of them will be gone by our pick. SPS is the other that will play but it won't be in the midfield and if we get him it's highly doubtful he plays year 1.

In any case, do we really need our first pick to play next year? I think our best 22 is well placed. I agree, It'd be nice in 2018 if the player we pick could play a role but I think English could. He's come from school football to being a potential top 10 pick who played WAFL league in less than 18 months, one would expect that progression to continue once he gets into an AFL environment.

Last edited:
You're not the only one that says that, there's a heap on here that do, but I really don't get that thinking. How many draftees impact games at the top level in their first two years let alone get regular games? 10%? 15%? 20%?

All things being equal, English will play as many games in his first two years as many of the other first round picks. It might not be in the ruck full time but he'll play. I think Brodie, McGrath, McCluggage, Logue and perhaps Taranto will play early but most of them will be gone by our pick. SPS is the other that will play but it won't be in the midfield and if we get him it's highly doubtful he plays year 1.

In any case, do we really need our first pick to play next year? I think our best 22 is well placed. I agree, It'd be nice in 2018 if the player we pick could play a role but I think English could. He's come from school football to being a potential top 10 pick in less than 18 months, one would expect that progression to continue once he gets into an AFL environment.
Depend on how you see it, if clarke signed three years deal , i really dont see the need to get english, if clarke still the same after fixing his injury there are no more excuses for him , freo and his fan. It is well known that griff is gone next year.

Depend on how you see it, if clarke signed three years deal , i really dont see the need to get english, if clarke still the same after fixing his injury there are no more excuses for him , freo and his fan. It is well known that griff is gone next year.

So if Griff is gone next year and Sandi hangs em up that leaves us with one ruckman in Clarke, Lord have mercy on us all...

So if Griff is gone next year and Sandi hangs em up that leaves us with one ruckman in Clarke, Lord have mercy on us all...
Joker dont need the lord mercy ;) he always get thing done his way. Can' t you rookie list ruck or draft them in third / fourth round. Sandi/ dean cox all rookie list upgrade?

Plus Apeness who will finally get a pre-season to train as a ruck.

Richmond got Nankervis, Gold Coast got Witts, West Coast got Vardy this trade period. It's not as if you can't trade in extra ruck depth if you need it desperately for the following season. They all cost relatively little and at least you know these guys can stand up at AFL level albeit not superstars.

Jordan roughead and tom boyd not traditional ruckmen with the bulldog, i am not saying going to that path , but if players desperate for success they will do their best to succeed. Alex pearce , apeness , eveb tab need to learn a bit of ruck work to help out if the need arise.

* One part of us hoping clarke will excels if he signed a three year deal , another part want to get some insurance if he fail again . I rather have a flexibl game plan that can cover the lost of ruckmen through injuries with some tall guys pinch ruck ( yah their might lost the ruck ) but you only ruck in thr centre bounce and when the ball is not deliberated out of bounce.

Last edited:

Richmond got Nankervis, Gold Coast got Witts, West Coast got Vardy this trade period. It's not as if you can't trade in extra ruck depth if you need it desperately for the following season. They all cost relatively little and at least you know these guys can stand up at AFL level albeit not superstars.

How many of those guys are going to be anything more than C+ graders as a number one ruck. Yea that's right - none.

Very few gun ruckmen chance sides and very few are from WA. A 3rd round onward ruck has a chance of making it sure but if they don't we are ****ed.

There's a reason English is going to go high and other rucks in this draft would be considered a reach at 40. Whether that means we should draft him or not I don't know but you don't win premierships by taking the safe option every time.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many of those guys are going to be anything more than C+ graders as a number one ruck. Yea that's right - none.

Very few gun ruckmen chance sides and very few are from WA. A 3rd round onward ruck has a chance of making it sure but if they don't we are ****ed.

There's a reason English is going to go high and other rucks in this draft would be considered a reach at 40. Whether that means we should draft him or not I don't know but you don't win premierships by taking the safe option every time.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
You already take a safe option by thinking the chance of a good ruckmen will not be there in 3rd or fourth round or rookie list. Sandi and dean cox rookie listed i doubt you can call it safe.
Justin longmuir got doggy injuries , robbie warnock is not that good either .

Pre season would like to see apeness, tab and a.pearce , new draft ruck take turn to ruck against sandi in match simulation . With fyfe , neale and mundy opposite to sandi .

Last edited:
The reason you grab English is because you think you are getting more than a ruck.

Joker dont need the lord mercy ;) he always get thing done his way. Can' t you rookie list ruck or draft them in third / fourth round. Sandi/ dean cox all rookie list upgrade?

Yes but they will need time, it will still be Clarke as the #1 in 2018, which is my point!

Apeness wont be a fulltime ruckman, so doesnt fit the void!

Yeah thats the only other way of thinking but only Nankervis would take Clarkes place so it still doesnt give me any confidence of having an A grade ruckman in 2018!

There is always ruckmen wanting a trade.

Clearly, but do you want another second string ruckman, beggars cant be choosers i guess!

The more i think about it the more sense it makes to take English at #7. **** i hope GCS take SPS with one of their 73 picks before the Eagles can select him...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back