Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most were but, there were certainly a number of people who thought we should of retained Giles or given Warnock another year and we all know Cringle's views on Watson etc.

The point I'm making there is that even though people were worried about the heavy number of changes or a particular individual player lost, nothing thus far has come back to bite us on the bum.

I'm expecting another 10-12 changes next year and when that happens, based on what was achieved recently, there should be nothing but strong faith in those doing the hackwork whilst d a respecting the decisions they make in regards to the players they move in and out of the club.
I am hoping that the club is keeping an eye on Giles in the SANFL or wherever he is playing this year.

I would have been camped out front of Princes Park with some rope, a pitchfork and a burning torch if we had retained Warnock.

I was ambivalent about Watson. He could have stayed or left... but if he had stayed, I would have expected him to be on the rookie list for 12 months and to really press for being upgraded next year via the VFL.

I am expecting 1-2 retirements, maybe 3 if Armfield wants to pull the pin at the end of the year. There are a couple of others that are going to be delisted... and even a couple off the rookie list. Gower really needs to press his case this year. skittles has started the year well in the VFL and come halfway through the season, should be pushing for a senior slot.

Clem really needs to get on his bike and start making a case for himself as a senior player or he is gone as well.

I am hoping that the club is keeping an eye on Giles in the SANFL or wherever he is playing this year.

I would have been camped out front of Princes Park with some rope, a pitchfork and a burning torch if we had retained Warnock.

I was ambivalent about Watson. He could have stayed or left... but if he had stayed, I would have expected him to be on the rookie list for 12 months and to really press for being upgraded next year via the VFL.

I am expecting 1-2 retirements, maybe 3 if Armfield wants to pull the pin at the end of the year. There are a couple of others that are going to be delisted... and even a couple off the rookie list. Gower really needs to press his case this year. skittles has started the year well in the VFL and come halfway through the season, should be pushing for a senior slot.

Clem really needs to get on his bike and start making a case for himself as a senior player or he is gone as well.
yep

A while back there were a number of posters concerned about the number of changes we were making to the playing list, I'd like them to now consider these facts :

(a) we turned over 15 players in the off-season, of those who were delisted, none of them were picked up by other clubs.

(b) three of them were traded, Menzel & Yarran didn't play for their new clubs in RD 1. whilst Henderson has had one kick in his Geelong debut.

Now I know why we finished last!!!

The above would be what I'd normally expect at the trade table (although turning 28 into the GWS 4 was above and beyond what was to be expected).

Given the above though, one has to wonder what we should have gotten for players that we got rid of under the previous regime? what would garlett, robinson and laidler have been worth post 2015? (or in ladler's case, 2014, his first year at the swans)

For myself, all 3 players should have netted an end of first round-mid 2nd round pick (and similarly the betts FA compo) - potentially we could have ended up with hartung (betts), taylor (laidler), goddard/laverde (garlett) and menadue (robinson)...

upload_2016-3-28_22-47-47.png

Now I know why we finished last!!!

Wasn't that bad. Only 4 senior players were delisted, 2 of those chronically injured. Rookies, trades and retirements blew the number out. Realistically, it was only the stance regarding on field standards and the trades of the worst 3 offenders that made this a more memorable clean out than any other. But this is what we had been asking of the club. They were just shrewd enough to maximise the return.

Wasn't that bad. Only 4 senior players were delisted, 2 of those chronically injured. Rookies, trades and retirements blew the number out. Realistically, it was only the stance regarding on field standards and the trades of the worst 3 offenders that made this a more memorable clean out than any other. But this is what we had been asking of the club. They were just shrewd enough to maximise the return.
I think we are pleasantly surprised with CFC :thumbsu:

Previously we traded on a win/lose basis to make us better (Judd) and remove problems (Fev). It seemed opportunistic and short term. We lost on Laidler, Betts, Robbo, Garlett, etc. and we were not attracting talented players like in the old days.

Now in SOS and team. we look to have a Longer term plan underlying the trading = more chances to win IMO.

Well, like other discussions on Sheehan and the fringe players, we'll find out as we get through the season. Making statements now about 'this guy will be cut' and 'our list strategy is that' is all hooah.
maxresdefault.jpg

Looking at our list closely, assuming certain highly rated kids develop and turn into good players (Plowman, Curnow, Cuningham, McKay, Byrne, Boekhorst etc), I foresee small forward as a major weakness on our list. Sumner has missed a lot of footy, and Lamb while he has endeavor just doesn’t seem like he will be a dominant small forward. And then there is Smith who is a fair way off it as well. Interesting then the no.1 pick this year could be a small forward (Ainsworth). If we finish last and take Ainsworth, it would mean we don’t take a mid or tall at 1. But I see Ainsworth as a small forward genius who could well develop into a mid, so a bit like Boomer Harvey. And, I actually have a sneaky suspicion Marc Murphy might play out his career in the forward line, in a few years’ time.

Looking at our list closely, assuming certain highly rated kids develop and turn into good players (Plowman, Curnow, Cuningham, McKay, Byrne, Boekhorst etc), I foresee small forward as a major weakness on our list. Sumner has missed a lot of footy, and Lamb while he has endeavor just doesn’t seem like he will be a dominant small forward. And then there is Smith who is a fair way off it as well. Interesting then the no.1 pick this year could be a small forward (Ainsworth). If we finish last and take Ainsworth, it would mean we don’t take a mid or tall at 1. But I see Ainsworth as a small forward genius who could well develop into a mid, so a bit like Boomer Harvey. And, I actually have a sneaky suspicion Marc Murphy might play out his career in the forward line, in a few years’ time.

Wright may suffice in the interim.

Oh and we won't have pick 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right; it would have been amazing if it functioned with 4 talls and a medium defender. :p
Giles and Plow would have been amazing tall rebound defenders. Giles could play forward too. Plow was also tipped to play midfield [/Wayne Hughes]

Cats also played Taylor, Henderson, Lonergan, Kolodjashnij and Mackie on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back