List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 1

Who do you hope we target?

• Daniel Rich - Brisbane Lions (Free Agent)

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Jaeger O'Meara - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 112 40.1%
  • Dion Prestia - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns(Trade)

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ollie Wines - Port (Trade)

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 65 23.3%
  • Peter Wright - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It would not be liked by the supporters but you need to break eggs to mak an omlette.

As you say depends on the completed trading of the Saints not just that in isolation.

Richmond were looking to trade for Armo and we said nada.
Richmond were not offering Prestia

If GC offered Prestia for Armitage would we take it?

Would we take a player that is 5-6 years younger who is currently already a better player than Armo? Yeah, reckon we do alright out of that deal. Shame GC would never do it.

Realistically, if both players were open to a trade I reckon Presita for Armo + our second rounder would be close to fair (still have us in front slightly).

Would we take a player that is 5-6 years younger who is currently already a better player than Armo? Yeah, reckon we do alright out of that deal. Shame GC would never do it.

Realistically, if both players were open to a trade I reckon Presita for Armo + our second rounder would be close to fair (still have us in front slightly).
Someone else already has our second rounder

Been catching up on the last few days posts in here and with regards to the suggestions of Ahern and Marchbank, here is what Periphery said our top 20 in that draft was, according to Emma Quayle's book:

Here's our top 20 according to Quayle:
1 - Paddy
2 - Petracca
3 - Brayshaw
4 - Wright
5 - Laverde
6 - De Goey
7 - Weller
8 - Langford
9 - Moore (9th place as per the Pies pick)
10 - Duggan
11 - Cockatoo
12 - Garlett.
13 - Goddard
14 - Lever
15 - McKenzie
16- Miller
17 - Ellis
18 - Heeney (Swans pick)
19 - Marchbank
20 - Lonie

So we supposedly had Marchbank at 19 and Ahern outside our top 20 (which fits in with what I was hearing throughout that season about how we viewed him), so given that GWS took them both in the top 7, I reckon even if we were interested in them both now, we might have trouble coming to terms with them, as it seems they rated them a LOT higher than we did and may still do.

Last edited:
Having played with and watched A LOT of Brad Crouch leading into his selection by Adelaide, he's by far one of the best talents I've seen come out of the Rebels program.
He can be every bit the contested ball winning beast we so dearly need, and also has great speed away from the contest which we haven't seen due to his ongoing injuries. I think he has more value to Adelaide than he would on the open market, and I think that's why they'll be doing everything the can to retain him.
I really think he's going to play a major part in Adelaide's campaign this year, he looks noticeably fitter now than he did 6 weeks ago, and looks to be finding his feet again. I'd say all of the media surrounding his lad like nature may have prompted him to pull his head in, as well as seeing what his brother is achieving.
If we have an opportunity to add a talent such as Brad, I'd hope that we would go hard. He's only 22, and the boy can seriously play.
What was his work-ethic and attitude and all that like?

Jarrod Garlett had a cracking game for GC reserves last weekend

4 goals 2 behinds
8 clearances
11 tackles
25 disposals

Keen.... :thumbsu:
Noticed that we rated him no.12 on our board in his draft (according to Quayle's book) and he has a lot of the exact sorts of attributes that we're after, so I really hope we're having a good look at him. Really liked the look of him in his draft year and he's the type we've been crying out for for years.

Darcy Gardiner from Brisbane is an option
Prestia is getable JOM probably not
Ellis Yolmen yes, Crouch Yes. Also wouldn't mind Jake Llyod from Sydney

Been catching up on the last few days posts in here and with regards to the suggestions of Ahern and Marchbank, here is what Periphery said our top 20 in that draft was, according to Emma Quayle's book:

1 - Paddy
2 - Petracca
3 - Brayshaw
4 - Wright
5 - Laverde
6 - De Goey
7 - Weller
8 - Langford
10 - Duggan
11 - Cockatoo
12 - Garlett.
13 - Goddard
14 - Lever
15 - McKenzie
16- Miller
17 - Ellis
18 - Heeney (Swans pick)
19 - Marchbank
20 - Lonie

So we supposedly had Marchbank at 19 and Ahern outside our top 20 (which fits in with what I was hearing throughout that season about how we viewed him), so given that GWS took them both in the top 7, I reckon even if we were interested in them both now, we might have trouble coming to terms with them, as it seems they rated them a LOT higher than we did and may still do.

surely we are into garlett then

It was also 2 years ago, so he had plenty more of his career in front of him. I am not convinced Armo will be a decent AFL player beyond another 2 years. The game already looks a little quick for him this year. Can't see him being a quality 32 year old AFL midfielder.

Agree the extra running required in todays game (lack of rotations) will mean blokes like Armitage will fall off the cliff in a year or two, if he hasnt already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless something has happened between now and then to turn us off him, I would certainly hope so.

Speed. Tick.
Big tank. Tick.
Excellent, penetrating kicking and dual-sided. Tick.

There is always stuff happening.
Everyone thought that Jack Watts was worth pick one, it wasn't just Melbourne.
Once in the system they continue to develop or not. They play to peoples expectations or not.
I often wonder about trades like J O'Rourke ,did GWS cut their losses.

So i guess a player like Garlett would depend on the clubs expectations of his early form vs what is delivered.
If they expected him to be a ball magnet, they may be disappointed.

So liking him as a draft choice does not mean they still like him 2 years later. (But they might ).

Darcy Gardiner from Brisbane is an option
Prestia is getable JOM probably not
Ellis Yolmen yes, Crouch Yes. Also wouldn't mind Jake Llyod from Sydney
So, as a rough guide...

OUT: Fisher, Shenton, Curren.

IN: Gardiner, Ellis-Yolmen, Crouch.

I can live with something like that; instantly improves the bottom part of the list with two types we need - a big-bodied mid and a 3rd tall defender - and adds a potential gun.

FB: Geary - Gardiner - Webster
HB: Savage - Carlisle - Newnes
RK: Hickey - Crouch - Armitage
CR: Steven - Ross - Ellis-Yolmen
HF: Billings - McCartin - Weller
FF: Lonie - Bruce - Membrey
IC: Gresham Dunstan Templeton Acres

Is a very rough idea, and still missing a genuine KPD (an injured Goddard, or perhaps Coughlan), but I like it.

Add improvement in our younger blokes, and look at some of the blokes who'd be playing 2s - White, McKenzie, Gilbert, Roberton for example - blokes like Freeman or O'Kearney who could be anything, AND that Dempster, Montagna and Riewoldt were left out to get a glimpse of the future, and it's not a bad shoring up of the foundations.

We can worry about the shuffling of picks another time, but it's interesting that, of those three, only CEY is contracted next season, and the Crows don't seem to rate him at the moment. That's some good Moneyball-in' right there Mr Swaggins.

Whether or not it's these three or any of a number of possible options, it's going to be a fun postseason.

What was his work-ethic and attitude and all that like?
As a 16/17 year old - pretty impressive. He's best friends with Nick O'Brien (former Don) and Scott Spriggs who plays SANFL. The 3 of them used to flog each other on the track, and were extremely disciplined off it. Brad also employed a sprint coach at this age to work on his technique and improve his speed/power.

I actually think his liking for booze has a fair bit to do with his initial housemate in Adelaide, Tex. Prior to being captain of the Adelaide footy club, Tex was a fair lad himself, and loved a beer. I see plenty of upside in Brad, and I'm bullish about what he'll achieve should he get his body right, and mature a bit. Looks like he's got himself a missus in recent months also, which could only be a good thing for him in regards to pulling his head in, although it's probably another reason for him to stay in Adelaide.

1 - Paddy
2 - Petracca
3 - Brayshaw
4 - Wright
5 - Laverde
6 - De Goey
7 - Weller
8 - Langford
10 - Duggan
11 - Cockatoo
12 - Garlett.
13 - Goddard
14 - Lever
15 - McKenzie
16- Miller
17 - Ellis
18 - Heeney (Swans pick)
19 - Marchbank
20 - Lonie

Lavarde and Langford so high for the cheats.

How they got a 'compensation' first round pick to pick up Langford is still such a travesty. It meant their draft 'penalties' were nothing like Adelaides two full years of the first two rounds AND Tippett.

Instead, because of their 'fight', they got a compensation pick plus a pick for Ryder netting them those two.

That situation still makes my blood boil as Langford should be a Saint.

Last edited:

1 - Paddy
2 - Petracca
3 - Brayshaw
4 - Wright
5 - Laverde
6 - De Goey
7 - Weller
8 - Langford
10 - Duggan
11 - Cockatoo
12 - Garlett.
13 - Goddard
14 - Lever
15 - McKenzie
16- Miller
17 - Ellis
18 - Heeney (Swans pick)
19 - Marchbank
20 - Lonie

Touk Miller & Jarrod Garlett please

As a 16/17 year old - pretty impressive. He's best friends with Nick O'Brien (former Don) and Scott Spriggs who plays SANFL. The 3 of them used to flog each other on the track, and were extremely disciplined off it. Brad also employed a sprint coach at this age to work on his technique and improve his speed/power.

I actually think his liking for booze has a fair bit to do with his initial housemate in Adelaide, Tex. Prior to being captain of the Adelaide footy club, Tex was a fair lad himself, and loved a beer. I see plenty of upside in Brad, and I'm bullish about what he'll achieve should he get his body right, and mature a bit. Looks like he's got himself a missus in recent months also, which could only be a good thing for him in regards to pulling his head in, although it's probably another reason for him to stay in Adelaide.
Unless his girlfriends a crack dealer. Then it might have a negative impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back