List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 1

Who do you hope we target?

• Daniel Rich - Brisbane Lions (Free Agent)

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Jaeger O'Meara - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 112 40.1%
  • Dion Prestia - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns(Trade)

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ollie Wines - Port (Trade)

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 65 23.3%
  • Peter Wright - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bite (leaving out Riewoldt and Fisher due to age concerns);

KPF
Us: Bruce, McCartin, Membrey.
Them: Stringer, Boyd, Redpath.

KPD
Us: Carlisle, Goddard, Coughlan, Lee, Delaney.
Them: Adams, Collins, Roberts.

Maybe we have them overall, but their young midfield is a fair distance ahead of ours presently; observe...

Mids (under 28)
Us: Steven, Armitage, Ross, Dunstan, Weller, Billings, Newnes, Sinclair, Freeman, Gresham, Acres, Curren, Minchington, Lonie, O'Kearney, Saunders.

Them: Bontempelli, Liberatore, Stevens, Wallis, Hunter, Macrae, Honeychurch, Hrovat, Jong, Daniel, Smith, Hamilton, Dale, Dunkley, Williams.
Relax development isn't even our guys are younger and some are gonna take a little longer to develop have faith in the club we have a pretty good history at building since the salary cap was enforced and have learned from mistakes

Best thing about good mids? There a shit load easier to get/find then talls. Imo we only need two more A grade mid and were set.

Maybe, but they're still expensive look at Treloar-Collingwood. 2 early-mid first round picks and a 3rd round pick for Treloar and a mid 2nd round pick. That ain't cheap.

Mids (under 28)
Us: Steven, Armitage, Ross, Dunstan, Weller, Billings, Newnes, Sinclair, Freeman, Gresham, Acres, Curren, Minchington, Lonie, O'Kearney, Saunders.

Them: Bontempelli, Liberatore, Stevens, Wallis, Hunter, Macrae, Honeychurch, Hrovat, Jong, Daniel, Smith, Hamilton, Dale, Dunkley, Williams.
A Graders

Saints: Steven, Armitage, Billings.
Dogs: Bontempelli, Liberatore, Macrae.

B Graders

Saints: Ross, Dunstan, Weller, Newnes.
Dogs: Stevens, Wallis, Hunter. (Won't include anyone else as I haven't seen enough of them to judge)

Dogs are certainly ahead on young midfield talent but if one or two of Sinclair, Freeman, Gresham and Acres can become A graders (IMO they all have the potential) then we are looking alright when you consider we will have a top 5/10 pick this year and maybe a top 10 next year. I personally love the way we are tracking in this rebuild, a couple more A grade mids and we're looking really good to be contenders going forward.

A Graders

B Graders

Dogs: Stevens, Wallis, Hunter. (Won't include anyone else as I haven't seen enough of them to judge)

Dogs are certainly ahead on young midfield talent but if one or two of Sinclair, Freeman, Gresham and Acres can become A graders (IMO they all have the potential) then we are looking alright when you consider we will have a top 5/10 pick this year and maybe a top 10 next year. I personally love the way we are tracking in this rebuild, a couple more A grade mids and we're looking really good to be contenders going forward.

Agree, am also a big fan of the logical way we have tackled the re-build. We have taken talls before mids because they take longer to develop. Yes that means that just now we look at our mids compared to other teams around us and see that they bat deeper but we will be able to rectify that over the next 2-3 trade and draft periods and the mids will be able to come straight in and make an impact. In the meantime, our talls like Paddy, Bruce and Goddard will have developed nicely.

A Graders

B Graders

I think Stevens and Hunter have higher ceilings than Dunstan and Weller though. Ross is showing a bit now and I expect he'll be a very good player, I think Newnes will be a lot better once he gets a bit of support. The young bloke gets given some hard jobs.

Personally I think their midfield is more mature but not necessarily that much more talented potential wise. The big gap for me is flankers... back when we were contending we were bursting out of defence with dempster, gwilt, gilbert, baker and goddard. The doggies have the 3 oldies plus jj n biggs while we have only roberton and webster, i would love to see us add a kolodjasnee type (could it be berry this year?) Or maybe we already have it on our books in white, mckenzie or rice, time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

A Graders

B Graders

Newnes is bloody good B grader though

I'll bite (leaving out Riewoldt and Fisher due to age concerns);

KPF
Us: Bruce, McCartin, Membrey.
Them: Stringer, Boyd, Redpath.

KPD
Us: Carlisle, Goddard, Coughlan, Lee, Delaney.
Them: Adams, Collins, Roberts.

Maybe we have them overall, but their young midfield is a fair distance ahead of ours presently; observe...

Mids (under 28)

Agree the dogs are a long way ahead of us in the midfield department as well as their flankers.

But even though our list age is almost identical, I feel like our rebuild is more of a slow burn type that still has two years of drafting/recruiting before it is complete.

Luckily for us we have our key position stocks set, because they always take longer then the little guys. This year I predict we'll have another top 5 pick, which the dogs will not. We also have a shit load of $$ to spend on a FA, which the dogs will not.

The Doggies look fantastic at the moment but IMO that list is not good enough to win a flag just yet. They don't have a ruckman and their spine is suspect. So while I think they are a much better team at the moment, I reckon that gap will close very quickly.

Personally I think their midfield is more mature but not necessarily that much more talented potential wise. The big gap for me is flankers... back when we were contending we were bursting out of defence with dempster, gwilt, gilbert, baker and goddard. The doggies have the 3 oldies plus jj n biggs while we have only roberton and webster, i would love to see us add a kolodjasnee type (could it be berry this year?) Or maybe we already have it on our books in white, mckenzie or rice, time will tell.

I don't think their midfield is more mature at all. They are just better.

Scenario.... hickey plays all year like round 1. Forward line is cemented with paddy, bruce(resting ruck) and hickey for bigmen. Richmond put pick 11 on the table for Longer. Do we pull the trigger and enter the draft with picks 8 and 11? Albeit with little quality ruck stock in the reserves... pearce and holmes.

No we're trading Hickey. Get with the program.

;)

Maybe, but they're still expensive look at Treloar-Collingwood. 2 early-mid first round picks and a 3rd round pick for Treloar and a mid 2nd round pick. That ain't cheap.

Cheap

Kids a jet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two first rounders is a large investment we rarely see & bare in mind your mob would've projected a high finish this season....after last weekend you may pass on a top 5 pick (even higher) along with last years first.

We needed a gun mid to replace swan
Our mids
Pendles..elite but needs help
Adams..great grunt
Sidey..great but doesnt win a game
Crisp...handy

We lacked a 2nd elite mid

Rucks good
Fwds darcy jamie handy
Def we need ben reid

Our good is very good

Our depth is blah but we need class to lead..
Treloar and Pendles are that

Plenty of gems lower in the draft and we can always trade higher into the draft

We needed a gun mid to replace swan
Our mids
Pendles..elite but needs help
Adams..great grunt
Sidey..great but doesnt win a game
Crisp...handy

We lacked a 2nd elite mid

Rucks good
Fwds darcy jamie handy
Def we need ben reid

Our good is very good

Our depth is blah but we need class to lead..
Treloar and Pendles are that

Plenty of gems lower in the draft and we can always trade higher into the draft

Just my opinion but I feel Bucks overrated your list & thought Treloar would be enough to push you into finals contention even top 4.

Treloar is a fantastic young player who's ready to go but giving up potentially pick 6 & 5ish for Treloar & GWS's 2nd could cost you two 18/19 year old gun mids....who sure they could flop. Just saying its a big investment to take yourself out of the first round for two consecutive drafts....we saw Carlton put all their eggs in the Judd basket for bugger all result.

Just my opinion but I feel Bucks overrated your list & thought Treloar would be enough to push you into finals contention even top 4.

Treloar is a fantastic young player who's ready to go but giving up potentially pick 6 & 5ish for Treloar & GWS's 2nd could cost you two 18/19 year old gun mids....who sure they could flop. Just saying its a big investment to take yourself out of the first round for two consecutive drafts....we saw Carlton put all their eggs in the Judd basket for bugger all result.

Maybe...

What in your opinion does our list lack?

Any chance you guys take the risk and go hard at O'meara? If not then I feel a teammate of his Prestia would be a perfect addition to your midfield.
I had a look at the GWS midfielders and Whitfield and Kelly are two others who you could be interested in at seasons end. Whitfield in particular would be the perfect recruit for you guys on a wing if you can unleash his talent.

Cheap

Kids a jet
I can see you guys packing your 2nd rounders together & trading them to a team with an academy for the points, while you take their 1st rounder. That basically then means that Treloar only cost a 1st (2015) & 2nd rounder (2016)....

Bargain IMHO :thumbsu:

Any chance you guys take the risk and go hard at O'meara? If not then I feel a teammate of his Prestia would be a perfect addition to your midfield.
I had a look at the GWS midfielders and Whitfield and Kelly are two others who you could be interested in at seasons end. Whitfield in particular would be the perfect recruit for you guys on a wing if you can unleash his talent.

O'meara is sadly done

No-one will ever see his best

Saints wont chase him at all imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back