2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

B graders would be useless for us. Just look at stupid Hawthorn. Why on earth did they trade in rejects like Guerra, Spangher, Fitzpatrick, Rhan Hooper and Josh Gibson? Amateurs.

As for Sydney, they have brought in a bounty of B, C, D grade trash. Jeremy Laidler, Mitch Morton, Seaby, Richards, Rampe, Andreas Everitt- the list goes on.

Geelong traded pick 21 for Rhy Stanley. This year's first rounder for Lachie Henderson. Zac Smith and Mitch Clark too. What a waste of nice shiny draft picks to get average talls!

This off season we will get at least one, maybe three or four recycled players for depth, maturity and shielding some of the our horribly exposed kids. I really like the idea of a Whitecross or Grimes type. CEY also makes sense as an average, C grade battler who should come cheap. I expect he'd do something similar to or better than what Mitch Hallahan has done at the Suns (hopefully without as many injuries) which is okay enough if we give up a 3rd rounder or less.
Tim Mohr, either Brown brother and Astbury are all accident prone. I would love someone like a Tom Lonergan but that's a pipe dream. Would Lynden Dunn, Sam Fisher or Alipate Carlile be attainable and useful?

I wouldn't mind a bottom rung, mature ruckman if Trent West the friendly dinosaur leaves. I'm talking about a Sam Michael, Luke Lowden type on the rookie list. Or even rookie listing a reject of another club. Apparently Tom Young (former Pies and Dogs player) is doing well in the NEAFL. Is he worth it?

Of course the flip side of this is that we may not get as much young talent in. Last year I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get Suckling, we got rid of a Cheynee Stiller type like Zac O'Brien, we passed on Essendon's Mitch Brown in the draft and didn't add any experience on the rookie list. But then we managed to nab some really promising players in Mathieson, Skinner and William in the draft with the list spots we had available. Would Zac O'Brien, Suckling and Mitch Brown add more this year than what Mathieson, Skinner and William have? Absolutely, but the reverse will be true in 5 years' time. We have favoured youth so much in recent times, which should help us in the future, but I think we have stocked up so heavily on young talent it would be damaging to not address the void of experience this off season. I think it would be beneficial for us if in 2 years' time we had a core of mature players like Harwood, Bewick, Lester, Paine, Sam Michael and Ellis-Yolmen in the NEAFL.

Would it be silly to suggest that we may need a new coach on board to sell hope to potential trade targets (and fans)?

If Leppa and the recruiting team were in your ear currently, and you were seeing how things were going, would you be more easily swayed by a new coach with a new vision?

It certainly seems like a conundrum that is just another layer to the Leppa saga currently.

Would it be silly to suggest that we may need a new coach on board to sell hope to potential trade targets (and fans)?

If Leppa and the recruiting team were in your ear currently, and you were seeing how things were going, would you be more easily swayed by a new coach with a new vision?

It certainly seems like a conundrum that is just another layer to the Leppa saga currently.

I don't know if any old coach can get that job done TBH. Most people know we are going to be battling next year as it is. Need a big name to reel in fans, potential players and assistant coaches.

I don't know if any old coach can get that job done TBH. Most people know we are going to be battling next year as it is. Need a big name to reel in fans, potential players and assistant coaches.

Concurred. We need the Hawks to lose the GF and console Clarko with a few truckloads of cash from AFL House. Go big or go home at this stage. Need a media friendly coach, with runs on the board rebuilding a list and performing in finals.

Failing that, media friendly and has worked with Clarko during the rebuild and successful times.

Personally, I don't care whether the media like them. I reckon our priorities should be:
1. Experienced development coach
2. Experience coaching at a senior level.

This causes issues, as the coach who comes to mind with senior and development experience is Choco Williams... Who wouldn't have been my first choice. Or second.

From a development point of view, I reckon someone like Blakey would be excellent from the Swans... But no senior experience... I suppose we have Leigh for that, but he hasn't exactly excelled with Leppa.

From a development point of view, I reckon someone like Blakey would be excellent from the Swans... But no senior experience... I suppose we have Leigh for that, but he hasn't exactly excelled with Leppa.

Yes, he does.

Round 18, 2005 - Lions v Western Bulldogs at Docklands (Lions lost by 28).

Personally, I don't care whether the media like them. I reckon our priorities should be:
1. Experienced development coach
2. Experience coaching at a senior level.

This causes issues, as the coach who comes to mind with senior and development experience is Choco Williams... Who wouldn't have been my first choice. Or second.

I spoke about Blakey in another thread about potential coaches. Has done a 14 year apprenticeship. 4 years with Lions and 10 now with Swans. Coached every area. A perfect candidate for me and we should be asking him to interview for the job. Not to mention his Lions connection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CEY isnt getting a regular game and has some talent, though I think his fitness lets him down from time to time. But please judge him on his form against anybody but us, because we can make anybody look like a star.

I spoke about Blakey in another thread about potential coaches. Has done a 14 year apprenticeship. 4 years with Lions and 10 now with Swans. Coached every area. A perfect candidate for me and we should be asking him to interview for the job. Not to mention his Lions connection.
I wonder how many senior gigs this bloke has gone for. And ultimatly didnt get the job. 14 years is a hell of a time to spend as an assistant. Which might be ok if you have zero aspirations of being anything more.

Power, Cornes, Brogan and McDonald did wonders for us.

Any player who is being forced out of their club as 'too old' should get a look.
Have thought along similair lines in regards to this but it would only be done if we were to go to the trade=draft picks of our more older/valuable players leaving that hole of experience that we would need. I especially like how they were enticed as player/coaching roles and could be utilised by the lions. There are plent of examples of what sides have done to rebuild and even though GWS were building it certainly suffices as another way that the Lions should look.

if we end up with a beginning of 1st round PP, we could trump essendon in any deal to be done with GWS.

trade pick 1 and 20 to GWS for picks 7, 14, 15 and one of jack steele/caleb marchbank.

A) if we keep the PP- picks 1, 3, 20 and 28 in the first 2 rounds.
B) trade PP- picks 3, 7, 14, 15 and 28 in the first 2 rounds. + steele or marchbank.

i like option B in a draft with no clear standout number 1 at this stage and we would still end up with one of SPS/McGluggage/Brodie.

as a guide going by Knightmares latest power rankings we would end up with (excluding academy rankings)-

A) McGluggage, Petrevski-Seton, Dylan Clarke, Alex Witherden.

B) Petrevski-Seton, Andrew McGrath, Daniel Venables, Tim Taranto, Alex Witherden. + steele or marchbank.

if we end up with a beginning of 1st round PP, we could trump essendon in any deal to be done with GWS.

trade pick 1 and 20 to GWS for picks 7, 14, 15 and one of jack steele/caleb marchbank.

A) if we keep the PP- picks 1, 3, 20 and 28 in the first 2 rounds.
B) trade PP- picks 3, 7, 14, 15 and 28 in the first 2 rounds. + steele or marchbank.

i like option B in a draft with no clear standout number 1 at this stage and we would still end up with one of SPS/McGluggage/Brodie.

as a guide going by Knightmares latest power rankings we would end up with (excluding academy rankings)-

A) McGluggage, Petrevski-Seton, Dylan Clarke, Alex Witherden.

B) Petrevski-Seton, Andrew McGrath, Daniel Venables, Tim Taranto, Alex Witherden. + steele or marchbank.

Yeah when you put it like that it's crazy how huge a priority pick would actually be.

Gives us so much to work with in trade week and then the draft.

You also have to consider the academy kids in that.

Im actually excited about this trade and draft period. Not only cause we are having a dreadful year but another high end pick with maybe some draft help to come. There's almost always a smokie player to pop up and put his hand up to play for us as of recent years. Could be the icing on leppas cake if we can nail this one.

A friend of mine that plays for the Box Hill Hawks, was asked who on the Hawks list is too good for VFL football - a standout in that league. He named a few players, however, the first player he named was Whitecross. Believes that Whitecross is too good for VFL football. When I mentioned that he would be a welcome addition at the Lions, he replied that his leadership skills would be great for our team. However, he also mentioned that he seems well set here in Melbourne.
Might be the type of mature-aged player we should target in the off season.

Im actually thinking the League will make some strongly worded suggestions to GWS that we consider some sort of deal to Brisbane similar to what we did to Carlton last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back