2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow how short some memories are, LAST YEAR we had our two key forwards go down and we had a really makeshift forward line, now we want to trade out the depth we have wanted so much. Key forwards take a long time generally, I wouldnt be trading any of Freeman, Close or Walker.

Freeman is a pure forward, Close for mine should be a mobile ruck and Walker could cover key down back as well as Hippy. That gives us some flexibility.

We need some good ball users and some speed, but not at the expense of our talls.

Wow how short some memories are, LAST YEAR we had our two key forwards go down and we had a really makeshift forward line, now we want to trade out the depth we have wanted so much. Key forwards take a long time generally, I wouldnt be trading any of Freeman, Close or Walker.

Freeman is a pure forward, Close for mine should be a mobile ruck and Walker could cover key down back as well as Hippy. That gives us some flexibility.

We need some good ball users and some speed, but not at the expense of our talls.

Think you have Close and Walkers potential roles mixed up

I agree we need Outside speed, blokes who can use the ball well off both sides of the body and a mature key defender or 2. But we need to keep our key forwards. Maybe in a couple of years when they are developing nicely then we can think of passing a couple on.

Think you have Close and Walkers potential roles mixed up
Nope. Close wont play down back, he doesnt want to and the club doesnt see him that way. He does however have a huge tank and could easily play mobile ruck/big bodied mid. Walker has been trialed down back in the two's and could do it IMO, but he also is useful forward and can play that FWD/Ruck role.

Nope. Close wont play down back, he doesnt want to and the club doesnt see him that way. He does however have a huge tank and could easily play mobile ruck/big bodied mid. Walker has been trialed down back in the two's and could do it IMO, but he also is useful forward and can play that FWD/Ruck role.
If a coach wants to trial him down back and he doesn't want to well that's just tough t***ies for him.

I agree we need Outside speed, blokes who can use the ball well off both sides of the body and a mature key defender or 2. But we need to keep our key forwards. Maybe in a couple of years when they are developing nicely then we can think of passing a couple on.
Yeah see who is developing, but they will all have currency. Outside speed seems to be a bit of dream, with Hanley not right, William just a kid, Bewick in and out of the side, Harzy out. A Brad Hill/Isaac Smith type would be nice. We have a lot of plodders, Lester and Beams come immediately to mind.

If a coach wants to trial him down back and he doesn't want to well that's just tough t***ies for him.

As I said current regime do not see him that way. Common theme amongst players I have spoken to too. His off the mark speed isnt great. I have a lot of time for Close, I back him to force his way in but he needs to use his attributes, which is his pure running ability.

I
As I said current regime do not see him that way. Common theme amongst players I have spoken to too. His off the mark speed isnt great. I have a lot of time for Close, I back him to force his way in but he needs to use his attributes, which is his pure running ability.
He can run all day but I honestly dont think he is agile enough for a key defender. You can get away with it a little as a key forward as you are the one making the leads rather than reacting to a lead as a defender.

I

He can run all day but I honestly dont think he is agile enough for a key defender. You can get away with it a little as a key forward as you are the one making the leads rather than reacting to a lead as a defender.
Yeah Close looks a little too stiff to be a good defender,doesn't look like has good enough lateral movement to defend a forward with any great mobility.

I understand. I like Close and I hope he can push for a spot in our best 22. I do feel that if he was asked to try being a backmen by a new coach he would have a crack at it surely. Very congested tall forward line so I thought it might be a way to get him in the side considering how low on stocks we are for bigger mature bodies down back.

Watching the Dogs v Magpies game Hrovat has been impressive. His disposal has been fantastic. He never wastes a possession. I like Lin Jong as well. Attacks the contest hard and has pace. I'd like the club to try and recruit both this off season.

Watching the Dogs v Magpies game Hrovat has been impressive. His disposal has been fantastic. He never wastes a possession. I like Lin Jong as well. Attacks the contest hard and has pace. I'd like the club to try and recruit both this off season.
Not sure with Lin Jong, he looks like an average player who looks better than he is because he is in a good side. We have plenty of average players already

seems to be lots of blokes out there that we could go for, the question is how many list spots will there be available? noticed leppa today said they have found it hard to work out who the de listings will be this year. i would assume the certainties are McGuiness and watts with maybe merrett retiring, who else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seems to be lots of blokes out there that we could go for, the question is how many list spots will there be available? noticed leppa today said they have found it hard to work out who the de listings will be this year. i would assume the certainties are McGuiness and watts with maybe merrett retiring, who else?

Clarke unfortunately. West and Green might also not be on the list next year.

He's been picked to play back this week. Plans change. Especially when you're getting hammered often.

First point I'd make is I don't think he's back to full mobility or fitness after his knee. So hard to say either way at the moment.

Secondly, a huge tank, by itself, isn't hugely valuable today. It used to get you 2-on-1s or 3-on-2s, but structures adapt so quick today that as soon as you outrun one guy, another guy is coming from the other side.

If you've got fast hands or great decisionmaking or pace it's great, but he's no match against the Parker, Sloane, Steven typese not a contest.

But matching his running ability up against taller players without that aerobic ability gives him the chance to pick his times to push up and help attacks while still being able to get back to one on ones. That's a weapon that's hard to counter.

I agree there's a question over his lateral movement. Don't know if he'll be able to overcome it, but I remember people saying the same about Mal Michael.

Personally I can't see a future with him, Schache and Hipwood playing forward, and I think Freeman has shown more potential than up forward than Close.

Careers are gone in a flash. Reckon he'll lap up any chance he gets to play anywhere on the ground.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Not sure with Lin Jong, he looks like an average player who looks better than he is because he is in a good side. We have plenty of average players already
I don't feel like he is the kind of player that relies on other players to look good though. He cracks in hard and wins his own footy. I agree he has deficiencies though. I just personally rate him.

A few years ago, we had a fair bit of interest in Delaney from the Roos (ended up signing a deal with the Saints instead). IIRC he's out of contract at the end of the season. Unlikely to get a new contract, wonder if we are still interested. Only 27 and plays on the gorilla forwards.

Yeah he seems a very limited footballer to me. Is probably close to his ceiling at the moment.

I would definitely be willing to trade in Cloke. I think Freeman is the bloke we might have to trade out. This might sound crazy, but I reckon Freeman will have a large number of suitors. I would think that the dogs would do a straight trade for him eg. Hrovat or Webb. I would rather see a Cloke come in and do some heavy lifting for 2 years and then move on when the Shack and Hippy have a bit more size about them. These are the moves our club needs to make to address the unbalanced nature of our list.

Freeman would have a lot of suitors because he'll end up being a very good footballer. He's a project but he has so much potential. A forward line featuring Schache, Freeman & Hipwood in 2 years time is something to be very excited about.

A few years ago, we had a fair bit of interest in Delaney from the Roos (ended up signing a deal with the Saints instead). IIRC he's out of contract at the end of the season. Unlikely to get a new contract, wonder if we are still interested. Only 27 and plays on the gorilla forwards.

Depends on who else is interested in coming to us I suppose. But he's someone I hadn't thought of that would come cheap and do a reasonable job if we can't get someone of higher quality.

Freeman would have a lot of suitors because he'll end up being a very good footballer. He's a project but he has so much potential. A forward line featuring Schache, Freeman & Hipwood in 2 years time is something to be very excited about.

I tend to agree. Both Schache and Hipwood provide enough defensive pressure where playing 3 talls up forward is a real possibility down the track.

Freeman is the one you'd want at FF with his contested marking ability and lack of defensive effort, which he is working on.

We'd still need some quality small that provide very good pressure though.

Freeman has as much potential as any of our young Key Forwards despite his average NEAFL form. He's showed a lot imo and is worth more to us keeping him than he would be trading him.

If we are ocnsidering trading Freeman (which l hope we don't) then l would wait until he has more trade value. I doubt clubs would offer much as he hasn't done a lot so far and been injured for a fair bit. Might as well wait a few years. That being said, l rate Freeman quite highly, think he could be gun but he needs a full pre-season and needs to run more, a lot more.

we also have Connor Ballenden in next years draft academy crop, highly touted key forward prospect, some early draft speculation has him as a top 3-8 prospect.

BALLANTYNE ANYONE?
Would probably take him to be honest. Hasn't had the best year and he's a pest,but applies good tackling pressure and has had years where he's been in the best few small forwards.

Edit: A bit too old after checking his age.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back