List Mgmt. 2016 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread [v. 1.0]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

And O'Meara is looking tip top!?
That's for whichever team he nominates medical staff to decide.
I'm more talking about swallow doesn't fit our age bracket of players we are chasing. If we were making a serious tilt at the flag then yes, but seeing that we aren't quite there yet a 29 year old who isn't at the peak of his powers anymore isn't the sort of player we are chasing.

That's for whichever team he nominates medical staff to decide.
I'm more talking about swallow doesn't fit our age bracket of players we are chasing. If we were making a serious tilt at the flag then yes, but seeing that we aren't quite there yet a 29 year old who isn't at the peak of his powers anymore isn't the sort of player we are chasing.

:huh:

Suns shut up shop over Prestia and O'Meara

INTRIGUE around the future of Gold Coast midfielders Jaeger O'Meara and Dion Prestia intensified on Thursday with coach Rodney Eade refusing to comment on where the pair would play next year.

Both are out of contract at season's end and are highly sought after, but neither player or club has commented on a decision to this point.

While it is believed Prestia is keen to head to Richmond, O'Meara's future is even more clouded.

Asked about the pair's status at his weekly press conference on Thursday, Eade quickly shot down questions.

"No, no, no comment," he said.

"That'll be kept in-house where it's at. We'll let people know in time."

Previously open to answering questions, saying the club had put forward a good case to retain the players, the veteran coach wasn't biting when further pressed.

"We'll keep that in-house," he said.

"As a club we'll make some comments later on, in the next days or weeks. We'll leave it at that."

North Melbourne Kangaroos need to be even more ruthless

Wayne Carey

The club is always bigger than the individual, regardless of how good you've been. We saw that on Wednesday at North Melbourne.

In recent years, Geelong, in particular, made some really tough decisions on the likes of Paul Chapman, Steve Johnson and James Kelly as they looked to the future.

The Football world was shocked Wednesday when north Melbourne announced they would not be renewing the contracts of Drew Petrie, Nick Dal Santo, Michael Firrito and most surprisingly Brent Harvey. Senior football writer Rohan Connolly gives his two cents on North's unexpected decision.

Those guys were all champions of the Cats, just as Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie and Michael Firrito have been for the Kangaroos.

Given the club could easily have stagnated next season, I think they've made the right call. But now the Roos need to be even more ruthless going forward.

No one is untouchable – maybe other than future captain Jack Ziebell, Todd Goldstein and Robbie Tarrant.

The Roos must be aggressive in reinvigorating their list, which means almost everyone becomes tradeable if a suitable deal can be reached.

Clearly they'll have some room in the salary cap and their first target should be more class in the midfield.

Ziebell, Andrew Swallow and Ben Cunnington are all solid contributors, but they're all similar.
The scary thing is the Roos will still be heavily reliant on the outside run of Daniel Wells, Jarrad Waite's work up forward and Scott Thompson in defence. By this time next year, they could also be retiring.

But while North clearly need more youth, there's still too much talent on the list to simply bottom out so I don't think it's a complete rebuild.

In the past decade they've generally been around the mark in terms of finals and I don't see why that can't be the case if they get things right.

But that's where North is different to Hawthorn, who this week re-signed veterans Luke Hodge, Josh Gibson and Shaun Burgoyne. The Hawks have won the past three premierships and are genuinely challenging for another.

While North Melbourne hasn't tasted the ultimate success, recent seasons aren't necessarily a failure.

I've always thought it takes a bit of luck to win a premiership.

Coach Brad Scott signed a contract last year, taking him through until the end of 2018 and I think he deserves that time to coach a new group.

The recruiting decisions of recent seasons don't just fall on his shoulders, but his entire list management team.

They've made preliminary finals from outside the top four in the past two seasons, and did it from eighth last year.

The Roos have been close, but not quite there, so you can understand how they've gone about their recruiting in getting those more senior guys like Waite, Nick Dal Santo and Shaun Higgins.

When they won a club record nine games to start this season, it was looking like the decision to "top up" their list was being justified.

But they've been tested in the second half of the season by a tough draw and a number of injuries, which perhaps highlights their lack of depth and the need to act.

Dal Santo said earlier in the week that many of the senior guys at Arden Street were in the dark about their futures.

It's a difficult juggling act for the club as they've been focused on cementing their spot in the eight, but clearly those honest conversations needed to be had before the finals began.

Dal Santo has been a great acquisition since he moved from St Kilda at the end of 2013 and has always been a silky smooth ball-user. But he's now become more of a link player, so is holding up the development of a younger teammate.

Is it easier to make calls on guys who have arrived from other clubs? Probably. But Waite has survived for now.

The former Blue was in career-best form earlier in the season, before being let down by his body. When fit, he obviously has the talent, but can Waite withstand another year of AFL football?

While that is a question for the Kangaroos' medicos, if they think he can play 18 games next year then he's worth the risk.

Petrie and Firrito have clearly been great leaders and marvellous servants for the club.

Petrie has shown over the past few weeks what you can do if you really apply yourself and it's a credit to him that what he gives to the team is much more than kicks, marks and handballs.

But his form hasn't been great for patches this year and it is time to give someone like Mason Wood more ownership of the Roos' forward-line alongside Ben Brown.

That leaves Harvey. If he was 23 and having the year he's had, we'd be saying, "Geez this young kid goes all right, he's got a future".

Given he's probably top six in the Kangaroos' best and fairest, the fact he'll be 39 next year shouldn't really come into the equation.

But as we found out on Wednesday, the club must come first and often there's little room for sentiment in the quest for a premiership.

Suns shut up shop over Prestia and O'Meara

INTRIGUE around the future of Gold Coast midfielders Jaeger O'Meara and Dion Prestia intensified on Thursday with coach Rodney Eade refusing to comment on where the pair would play next year.

Both are out of contract at season's end and are highly sought after, but neither player or club has commented on a decision to this point.

While it is believed Prestia is keen to head to Richmond, O'Meara's future is even more clouded.

Asked about the pair's status at his weekly press conference on Thursday, Eade quickly shot down questions.

"No, no, no comment," he said.

"That'll be kept in-house where it's at. We'll let people know in time."

Previously open to answering questions, saying the club had put forward a good case to retain the players, the veteran coach wasn't biting when further pressed.

"We'll keep that in-house," he said.

"As a club we'll make some comments later on, in the next days or weeks. We'll leave it at that."

Ha, Eade opened his mouth last week about these 2, I get the feeling he was promptly told by higher authorities to STFU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they truly are aggressive, they should be sending the 2017 first rounder and Spitta up there.

Trade out a BnF winner and, although this season is an exception, one of our best players for a bloke that may never play again? Nah.

yep if the club wants to be aggressive. Ziebell ain't going anywhere and offers more as a forward and mid, Swallow ain't being traded and Cunnington is a good trade as i am confident Dumont can take his place.

yep if the club wants to be aggressive. Ziebell ain't going anywhere and offers more as a forward and mid, Swallow ain't being traded and Cunnington is a good trade as i am confident Dumont can take his place.

I'd personally prefer Swallow, but I can understand the reasoning.

One of the meat grinder have to go imo.

Cunnington is 10x the midfielder that Ziebell is; he actually has composure and poise in traffic. Ziebell is hard at it and all that, but his blind hacks and handballs to no one make him a genuine liability when in the middle at times, particularly when they allow the opposition to walk out of the contest under no pressure.

Hopefully people think Atley still has value, but he would be the first of the established players that I would prefer to see traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back