List Mgmt. 2016 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread [v. 1.0]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we do lose Black as expected, should we look at Schulz? As a depth player we could do worse. He won't keep anyone out of the side as he'd be coming purely in for depth.
I'd like to see us target Membrey who is still out of contract and having a great year for stkilda

If they are ready, by all means.
As a club we have made it quite clear that we are going to play youth, so ready or not lets play them. Better than pumping games into a stop gap that isn't going to be around in a couple of years.

That's why Boomer is gone isn't he? So would make no sense to bring in a mature aged fill in.

If we are going on a rebuild then may as well get as many games as we can into these guys. No point finishing mid table again, do what every other club does, bottom out , bring in talent and then try and climb back up.

I'd like to see us target Membrey who is still out of contract and having a great year for stkilda

Yes. Completely this. That he's still unsigned is very interesting. I know he's very highly rated but that he isn't stitched up is odd at this stage. Would be perfect in our set up, especially with McKay likely a while away, Petrie gone and Waite iffy.

Also I forgot in the drama of yesterday but I was having a wander around Vic Park yesterday (only place I've seen a Kangaskhan recently) and noticed what looked very much like a North scout observing a small group of Collingwood VFL players in training. Speculative and meaningless but I wonder if there is any mature agers killing it there at the moment (no, Cloke wasn't there).

As a club we have made it quite clear that we are going to play youth, so ready or not lets play them. Better than pumping games into a stop gap that isn't going to be around in a couple of years.

That's why Boomer is gone isn't he? So would make no sense to bring in a mature aged fill in.

If we are going on a rebuild then may as well get as many games as we can into these guys. No point finishing mid table again, do what every other club does, bottom out , bring in talent and then try and climb back up.

I don't think North would go into a St Kilda style rebuild. I feel we will simply reset with one or two boom recruits who are under 25.
We will still be pushing for finals.

If we do lose Black as expected, should we look at Schulz? As a depth player we could do worse. He won't keep anyone out of the side as he'd be coming purely in for depth.
Now I'm not saying that we should do this, but if we were going to go for an experienced KPF to fill the gap between Petrie retiring and the time when McKay and/or Durdin are ready then it should be Travis Cloke.

He is the closest like-for-like we could get with Drew leaving and we wouldn't have to change our game plan.

Edit: Wait, wasn't 'T' one of the initials B Tron told us about?

Last edited:
Now I'm not saying that we should do this, but if we were going to go for an experienced KPF to fill the gap between Petrie retiring and the time when McKay and/or Durdin are ready then it should be Travis Cloke.

He is the closest like-for-like we could get with Drew leaving and we wouldn't have to change our game plan.

Edit: Wait, wasn't 'T' one of the initials B Tron told us about?

To me, even as it stands today, Petrie > Cloke.

No fixed position, can't kick. Ticks the boxes.

:thumbsu::D:p:huh::(:'(:mad::thumbsdown:

I'd be curious if we could get into the JOM sweepstakes as a third party (I'm leery of picking up such an injured player):

Saints gain: JOM
Saints lose: 1st rounder, Billings

GC gain: Swallow, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder
GC lose: JOM

North gain: Billings
North lose: Swallow, 2nd rounder

Trade Goldstein for Fyfe. Promote Preuss to senior list.

Cunnington and Swallow for Omeara.

Sign one more free agent and our rebuild is rather short.

To me, even as it stands today, Petrie > Cloke.
I don't disagree with that.

It's worth considering though, would we be worse on field, or from a list management and salary cap perspective if Drew and Waite retired and we replaced them with Cloke as a stop gap while McKay and Durdin develop? I know I would prefer Cloke over Mayne.

Via Damian Barrett on AFL Footy Show - Levi Casboult has recommitted to Carlton Football Club & Scott Thompson to play on in season 17 next year at Adelaide Crows

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have a mate at the suns and apparently your club have offered jom big money and to make him the face of north melbourne. from what my mate is saying it will be between you and the hawks.

Love it when we get inside words. Makes sense North would be offering all that - we don't get many sights at top end talent, injury risk or not.
This has Hayitis written all over it. Sammy Powell available too I wonder?

No way I'd be giving up more than our first and a player. Even then, the risk is freaking high. ..

have a mate at the suns and apparently your club have offered jom big money and to make him the face of north melbourne. from what my mate is saying it will be between you and the hawks.
Great up against the Hawks.
Don't mind loosing this one, very high risk trade

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

If it's down to money or central location, we win. If it's down to anything else, we lose. ;)

Got a call today from a scrotumy coterie friend who said Mayne has agreed to terms.

I'm not one to make ghey threats NTTAWWT, however if this eventuates I won't resign. Chopping Boom for a 1 handball per month 50yo will seal the deal.

That is all, keep drinking.

i would love to see a poll on who would you rather, Boomer or Mayne?

If the poll was taken by every football supporter I wouldn't be surprised if it was a landslide in Boomers favour.

What does Mayne bring other than a stuffed up perm?
Between Higgins, Ziebell, Wood, Anderson, Garner, we have the Maybe type already here. It doesn't make sense to me. Neither does Vickery.
It seems to be all media driven.

i would love to see a poll on who would you rather, Boomer or Mayne?

If the poll was taken by every football supporter I wouldn't be surprised if it was a landslide in Boomers favour.

What does Mayne bring other than a stuffed up perm?

Has almost completely mastered the art of goal kicking yips in high pressure games :huh:

Next years best 22 will look something like this

FB Wright Thompson Atley
HB McDonald Tarrant Vickers-Willis
MF Macmillan Cunnington Gibson
HF Wood Waite Higgins
FF Daw Brown Thomas
OB Goldstein Swallow Wells
IC Clarke Dumont Jacobs Zeibell

I hardly see this side finishing too low on the ladder, so super high draft picks are unlikely. Our biggest areas of concern are Key defenders and classy/pacey mids. Unfortunately it appears there aren't many quality KPD available, apart from maybe Eric McKenzie and Nathan Brown (Who isn't terrific). Landing a big name mid is a must .
Totally agree. When you consider what Harvey, Petrie, Spud & Dal have given us this year it's really only Harvey that we will have trouble replacing. (And there's also the possibility that Harvey in 2017 would not produce the same as this year. IMO he's been on a gradual slide the last few years. Two years ago he was in our top 4. Last year top 6. This year I'd only have him in our top 8. Next year it might be top 12 and it would be the case of he is keeping a young player out. That all said, I would have preferred he was given one more year, but understand the call the club has made.)

If we can land a couple of big fish, especially in the key back and classy mids as you say, there is a good chance that we will actually be better next year whilst going through our "reset".

Which actually raises the question why the club is promoting it as such. I wonder if the club is trying to put out the impression that we will be crap next year as we are planning on trading 2017 picks and want other clubs to think they will be a high picks.

It's not Mayne vs Harvey. Couldn't be. Even if Mayne was recruited, it still will have nothing to do with the Harvey decision.

We are targeting one or two big guns I reckon. We want to add to blokes in Ziebell/Cunners age bracket or younger.

:thumbsu::D:p:huh::(:'(:mad::thumbsdown:

I'd be curious if we could get into the JOM sweepstakes as a third party (I'm leery of picking up such an injured player):

Saints gain: JOM
Saints lose: 1st rounder, Billings

GC gain: Swallow, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder
GC lose: JOM

North gain: Billings
North lose: Swallow, 2nd rounder
Saints would need to be idiots to agree to that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back