List Mgmt. 2016 Trade/Free Agency Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope our club doesn't have the same attitude as some on the board have when it comes to GWS. If they do then we might as well board the place up now and save ourselves a heap of time and worry.

Feels like we will all be playing for second place. Who knows maybe Eddie will stir enough hate to wind back a few of these ridiculous concessions.

I get the point and somewhat agree but let's compare their best draft pick year and ours.
2004 draft we had

2011 GWS had
Even though 2004 was considered a mediocre year, if we had those picks in 2004 we would have got:
Deledio
Roughead
Buddy
Griffen
Lewis
As well as Monfries, Russell and Knights

Add in all those other top 5 picks they can GAGF

Yeah I get that we had one year. The other bummer is the years we bottomed out.

But we never made hay when the sun shone.

**** me do I hear Bulldogs fans moaning*

Hope Witts and Zac Clarke are not on our radar.

Ruck depth is a worry, but neither of these guys are the answer.

I can see where you are coming from, but who is then the answer?
Witts isn't bad. I think he could be good with more opportunity.
I haven't seen enough of Downie to make any type of judgement on him as a player/long term prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I get that we had one year. The other bummer is the years we bottomed out.

But we never made hay when the sun shone.

**** me do I hear Bulldogs fans moaning*

This is true we can complain all we want but the bulldogs turned it around very quickly they recruited well... Then one of the other things they did realized they had the wrong coach and quickly fixed that before they wasted anymore time... Something we should learn from

Feels like we will all be playing for second place. Who knows maybe Eddie will stir enough hate to wind back a few of these ridiculous concessions.
This is the exact type of thinking I'm talking about. It was this is the sort of thinking that had many a fan pissed off with the club at the start of the year when they said that they didn't rebuild properly to try to win a flag because there was little point with GWS having all the picks and advantages.

Richo should actually come out of retirement. get fit from now until march, sign a 2 year contract with us and just plonk him in the goalsquare like plugga

I've heard we want the picks for Prestia because we're going to have to match bids for 2 academy players, so I think pick 6 straight up is a pretty good deal for both teams. would much rather a guaranteed young gun than just 1 draft pick, which doesn't guarantee a good player anyway (think Think Oakley-Nicholls at pick 8, Tambling at pick 4, Conca at pick 6, Vickery at pick 8, and Lennon at pick 12). Richmond will end up with plenty of 2nd rounders being bought in from the trades of Vickery, Conca and Lennon so it wont matter.

You're not getting 6 unless you send back a couple of second rounders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, time to try and be a little positive...

The team we roll out round 1 looks like being a hell of a lot better than what we rolled out in the last few weeks...

In: Prestia, Yarran, Deledio, McIntosh, Griffiths, C Ellis

Out: C Moore, Chol, A Moore, Elton, Hunt, Lambert

That's over 1/4 automatic improvement with only the Prestia deal needing to be done.

Now assuming that with Vickery, Conca and Lennon leaving we'll probably pick up a combo of players and picks our side could be 1/3 different.

That excites me. That has me hanging for the trade/draft period.
Problem is, will they all be fit by the beginning of the season though?

Our best 22 playing and being on the park hasn't really been the core issue for this club. It is our depth that has been the issue.

If we have a similar drafting experience next year then our depth will still not be good enough. We just can't continue to rely on our best 22 even with Prestia and Yarran. That isn't what many of the good sides do.

I've heard we want the picks for Prestia because we're going to have to match bids for 2 academy players, so I think pick 6 straight up is a pretty good deal for both teams. would much rather a guaranteed young gun than just 1 draft pick, which doesn't guarantee a good player anyway (think Think Oakley-Nicholls at pick 8, Tambling at pick 4, Conca at pick 6, Vickery at pick 8, and Lennon at pick 12). Richmond will end up with plenty of 2nd rounders being bought in from the trades of Vickery, Conca and Lennon so it wont matter.
Suns have 4 8 21 22 24 & 27. Pick 4 won't need to be used on an academy kid as I doubt Essendon Brisbane or Fremantle will bid on Bowes so that leaves 8(1551 points) 21(878) 22(845) 24(785) & 27(703). That is 4,762 points to match bids on Bowes and Scheer.

Even if Fremantle bid on Bowes at pick 3, Suns would use pick 4 and get pick 52 back. That would still leave them with pick 8 and 4 R2 picks. Pick 8 would be a free swing more than likely as nobody I've seen has Scheer inside the top 18 rankings. If Essendon bid on him with pick 19 they give up pick 21 and get Scheer and pick 62 back, still leaving them with pick 22 24 & 27 to take free swings at the draft.

If the Suns are desperate for a R1 pick for Prestia they'd be better off asking for our 2017 R1 pick and put that in their pocket for next year and give them another chance to raid the draft next year.

Hope Witts and Zac Clarke are not on our radar.
Ruck depth is a worry, but neither of these guys are the answer.
Hearing a swap of Witts to GWS for WHE. Don't know much about Clarke only that he is a Richmond supporter..uh oh.. :(. We wouldn't be that stupid though as it would negate our Vickery compensation.
I haven't seen enough of Downie to make any type of judgement on him as a player/long term prospect.
Downie likely to be delisted. FWIW Soldo will be/is already better. If rumours of Saints hearing offers for Longer are true, then I suspect we'll be showing interest like we did in 2013. He recently signed a 2 year contract so doubt its true but Vickery's compo will get it done.

Downie likely to be delisted. FWIW Soldo will be/is already better. If rumours of Saints hearing offers for Longer are true, then I suspect we'll be showing interest like we did in 2013. He recently signed a 2 year contract so doubt its true but Vickery's compo will get it done.

Definitely not true, why re-sign someone if you are going to shop them around a few months later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can also confirm our interest in Stewart (OOC) and A.Kennedy (2017), few other clubs were watching and circling these two today at NEAFL grand final. Haven't heard anything about Jake Barrett (OOC) but I hope we're interested, can't find the stats but would've had at least 35 disposals 10+ tackles 2 goals today and looks better than Miles and Townsend (when they played NEAFL).

Definitely not true, why re-sign someone if you are going to shop them around a few months later.
Yeah doubt it as well, but they need a second round pick and Longer is probably the only player of their list that's expendable and could demand a second round pick. Hartlett also signed last year, as did Motlop and their names are being thrown around so not out of the realms of possibility.

Can also confirm our interest in Stewart (OOC) and A.Kennedy (2017), few other clubs were watching and circling these two today at NEAFL grand final. Haven't heard anything about Jake Barrett (OOC) but I hope we're interested, can't find the stats but would've had at least 35 disposals 10+ tackles 2 goals today and looks better than Miles and Townsend (when they played NEAFL).
Is that the Kennedy they drafted last year?

Not sure why people are so against Witts. He'd surely be the second tallest ruckman in the competition (209cm)? If we could get him cheaply I don't think it would be the worst piece of business we could do.
I'd love him, he is only 23 as well. Give him the number one spot and let him flourish.

Last edited:
Suns have 4 8 21 22 24 & 27. Pick 4 won't need to be used on an academy kid as I doubt Essendon Brisbane or Fremantle will bid on Bowes so that leaves 8(1551 points) 21(878) 22(845) 24(785) & 27(703). That is 4,762 points to match bids on Bowes and Scheer.

Even if Fremantle bid on Bowes at pick 3, Suns would use pick 4 and get pick 52 back. That would still leave them with pick 8 and 4 R2 picks. Pick 8 would be a free swing more than likely as nobody I've seen has Scheer inside the top 18 rankings. If Essendon bid on him with pick 19 they give up pick 21 and get Scheer and pick 62 back, still leaving them with pick 22 24 & 27 to take free swings at the draft.

If the Suns are desperate for a R1 pick for Prestia they'd be better off asking for our 2017 R1 pick and put that in their pocket for next year and give them another chance to raid the draft next year.
The logical arguments here are spot on. My concern is NEXT years r1 could be a very high price to pay for Prestia. Other than the Roos, our fall next year could be unmatched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back