Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we consider trading #4 down to #7?

For me Coll @6 are the most unpredictable in terms of pinning down a selection. Looking at their list they have an abundance of mid types thus I would expect them to draft a player with at least some height.

If we assume the standard top 3 go in the top 4 then I think they would be hoping for Stephenson to slide as he can at least provide a multiple goal option up forward or perhaps Cerra who is a decent mark for his 186cm.

If the predicted top 5 are all gone who do they take at 6?

Im not a fan of Brander personally but hes possible I guess. Other options with some height could include Coffield, Foggarty, Bonar or Constable who are all 190+. I feel 6 is a little early for a key back in Naughton.

I doubt they take a small in Brayshaw although its possible he might be close to be available.

Personally I'd prefer we hang onto 4.

Yep,

Quality not quantity these days, we've had plenty of mid range picks over the past 15 years.

I'm looking forward to welcoming the best of the best into the club in the next 3 or so seasons.

I feel 6 is a little early for a key back in Naughton.

Freo have been linked.

The thing with going from 4 to 7 and getting a 1st round pick next year, is that even if we do miss out on LDU/Dow/Rayner, then it still leaves us in the frame to definitely land one of Stephenson/Cerra/Brayshaw

Is that so bad considering what we gain for next year?

Yep,

Quality not quantity these days, we've had plenty of mid range picks over the past 15 years.

I'm looking forward to welcoming the best of the best into the club in the next 3 or so seasons.

Pykie, putting Rankine aside, would you favor M.King over Lukosius if it was your job to choose which player?

Would you risk the go home factor? Is the difference that prominent?

Yep,

I well remember welcoming Wellsy to the club at a players' BBQ and how exciting it was to know we'd finally drafted a gun. Its THAT I look forward to again.

Pykie, putting Rankine aside, would you favor M.King over Lukosius if it was your job to choose which player?

Would you risk the go home factor? Is the difference that prominent?

M.King has some Joe Danniher similarities at the same age, they are both a fair bit bigger than their direct opponents and bully them at this age.

Lukosious is a rake, with some of the best skills on a key tall i've seen in ages, he gets on his bike, wins ball up on the wing, can hit bullet passes working back into the F50, he's as creative as he is a goal kicker. Once he fills out he's going to be a fricken monster.

I've had the same thoughts r.e the two SA kids over the last couple of months as well. We've done pretty well in history picking up interstate players and retaining them.

A lot of this will depend on BBB year next year and weather we can get 22 games out of Mason Wood. My personal preference is Rankine of the 3, only because we have a top 3-4 KPF in the league as it stands, history in the last 10 years has shown that's enough, and 2 big dogs don't generally work in the same side together, I wouldn't knock either of them back though.

Rankine changes our midfield completely though. It's going to be a tough tough choice for recruiters if we finish with a top 2 pick though, absolute star KPF (which King and Lukosious will be) don't come around every year; for every Franklin, N.Riewoldt, Danniher, there's a McCartin or Gumbleton year. So history tends to suggest clubs take them when they're there.

Last edited:
Thanks. I always enjoy and welcome your input.

The reason I am up and about for Max King is this:

If you freeze that clip at around 0:15 at the apex of his mark and then scale it against the goal umpire you can see that this mark is taken at 10 to 11 feet off the ground from basically a standing start. (could someone provide a freeze frame?)

I don't necessarily see Boyd or Hawkins in that, I see Joe Daniher and Ben Brown.

Yeah they were a poor comparison, I immediately edited my post for Danniher, more meant that because of his 6"7 frame, he genuinely gets it over opponents as a 17 year old (Like Boyd and Hawkins did), he's more like Danniher or Moore at the same age.

Also, that's the wrong Max King, that's ex-Melbourne listed Max King playing for Casey, Max King the twin plays most of his football for Haileybury College and the Sandi Dragons. King would of been around 14-15 when that game was played, so definitely not in the VFL Dev League.....

Yeah they were a poor comparison, I immediately edited my post for Danniher, more meant that because of his 6"7 frame, he genuinely gets it over opponents as a 17 year old (Like Boyd and Hawkins did), he's more like Danniher or Moore at the same age.

:thumbsu:

Also, that's the wrong Max King, that's ex-Melbourne listed Max King playing for Casey, Max King the twin plays most of his football for Haileybury College and the Sandi Dragons. King would of been around 14-15 when that game was played, so definitely not in the VFL Dev League.....

Hahahahaha, what a ****en idiot, I am.:D

Post deleted.

Thanks. I always enjoy and welcome your input.

The reason I am up and about for Max King is this:

If you freeze that clip at around 0:15 at the apex of his mark and then scale it against the goal umpire you can see that this mark is taken at 10 to 11 feet off the ground from basically a standing start. (could someone provide a freeze frame?)

I don't necessarily see Boyd or Hawkins in that, I see Joe Daniher and Ben Brown.

The real Max King:

max-king-of-the-sandringham-dragons-marks-the-ball-over-ethan-of-the-picture-id657906810

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well thanks to the farcical compensation system, pick 22 just became 23 with The AFL deciding that Motlop is worth pick 19.

We seriously need to get another pick in the teens - 4 and 23 isn't enough for a rebuild.
You're right, it is farcical particularly when you consider we only got 33 for Wells as a dual B&F and on a big money 3 year deal at Collingwood.
I don't see how we get a pick in the teens though. Noone is interested in the players we want to trade. We can't just magic a pick out out of thin air.

You're right, it is farcical particularly when you consider we only got 33 for Wells as a dual B&F and on a big money 3 year deal at Collingwood.
I don't see how we get a pick in the teens though. Noone is interested in the players we want to trade. We can't just magic a pick out out of thin air.

Well then I guess we should just give up then?

It's about being proactive and having the foresight to make the right decisions. It's also about being inventive and thinking outside the box.

A great example is Todd Goldstein a couple years ago whilst his value was high, we also have a stockpile of slow inside mids with some value.

North are serial offenders at holding onto players for too long and then wanting to offload them once their value has dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Back