Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still just a bit too vanilla for me....Can't fault the numbers and no doubt he will become a highly competent AFL midfielder. The North connection is nice, too. However he looks like an accountant, not a footballer. Call me superficial but for a number 4 draft pick I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a trendy haircut or a bit of 'X Factor'...It would be good to draft both him and Stephenson because you know Brayshaw is solid and good insurance against Stephenson turning into Liam Anthony. Is this possible?

I think you're worrying about nothing, we like Stephenson and will look at drafting him just not with pick 4. Don't be at all surprised if the likes of Goldy, Swallow don't actually see us getting extra picks but a pick upgrade.

What ever will be , will be as Orange Peanut said it and so wonderfully.
Surely we won't be able to upgrade 21 to another top 10 pick though would we? Can't see how that's possible without trading Brown/Tarrant/Cunnington

Surely we won't be able to upgrade 21 to another top 10 pick though would we? Can't see how that's possible without trading Brown/Tarrant/Cunnington

15-18 on the slide is Stevo ........... apparently. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Trade 1: Swallow & 45 to Gold Coast for pick 37.
Trade 2: 23 and 37 to Richmond for 17 and a future third/fourth.

The first trade values Swallow at pick 61. The main reason it's plausible is that after a potential Saad/Ablett deal, pick 37 would become Gold Coast's 7th or 8th most valuable pick.

The second trade allows Richmond to match almost any bid on Naish with pick 37 (they also have some points with pick 55, which allows them to match from about pick 20 onwards).

We then go to the draft and take:

Pick 4: Cerra
Pick 17: Stephenson

15-18 on the slide is Stevo ........... apparently. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
What? Since when? He has been rated a top 5-10 player all year and you're saying he wont be picked up until late in the first?

The first trade values Swallow at pick 61. The main reason it's plausible is that after a potential Saad/Ablett deal, pick 37 would become Gold Coast's 7th or 8th most valuable pick.

The second trade allows Richmond to match almost any bid on Naish with pick 37 (they also have some points with pick 55, which allows them to match from about pick 20 onwards).

Apparently Richmond turned down 24 and 29 for 15 from * so I don't think they'd accept that for 17. It would also only take one club bidding on Naish before 15 and they'd either lose him or the pick.

What? Since when? He has been rated a top 5-10 player all year and you're saying he wont be picked up until late in the first?

Yeah sounds a bit out there i know. He's not a mid or KP and he hasnt the best disposal. Just a whisper i heard and we are on record as trying to improve our second rounder. He wont be there for our current second.

Like most i try and post what i hear. No point in making shit up

Yeah sounds a bit out there i know. He's not a mid or KP and he hasnt the best disposal. Just a whisper i heard and we are on record as trying to improve our second rounder. He wont be there for our current second.

Like most i try and post what i hear. No point in making shit up
He won't get past St Kilda's picks if that is our plan.

Apparently Richmond turned down 24 and 29 for 15 from * so I don't think they'd accept that for 17. It would also only take one club bidding on Naish before 15 and they'd either lose him or the pick.

They might also be more than happy to just go into a deficit next year, rather than trade out of the first round.

I know you don't rate Stephenson for four but no way he lasts to 17.

Was just going based off what naturally north posted above. I would be surprised to see Stephenson fall that far, St. Kilda seem like a pretty concrete floor for him.

Unless clubs have serious concerns over his kicking he seems like a fairly safe selection with one of the biggest upsides of any player in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering Stephenson trained at North I reckon our scouts would have a good idea of where his foot skills are at. Happy to back them in.
Has anyone seen mutch of him live? I want to know if his kicking is as bad as made out, or if it’s just an awkward style.

I like the kid, but I’ve only watched the champs and some highlights. He comes across as a fighter, not an easily beaten.

Also, has anyone else noticed in the highlights of other Vic Metro players Stephenson features a bit? Kid gets busy, always there providing an option.

Brayshaw was 0.05 sec slower than Stephenson in the 20m at combine and was faster than him in the agility which means his speed whilst changing direction is greater. His disposal is also better and he plays more of a pure mid role than does Stephenson.

Unfortunately Brayshaws combine times don't translate in to how he plays imo,his kicking skills are superior but he doesn't break lines like Stephenson..Watch both of these videos and tell me who you think we need more .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They might also be more than happy to just go into a deficit next year, rather than trade out of the first round.

Was just going based off what naturally north posted above. I would be surprised to see Stephenson fall that far, St. Kilda seem like a pretty concrete floor for him.

Unless clubs have serious concerns over his kicking he seems like a fairly safe selection with one of the biggest upsides of any player in the draft.
Yeah, sorry. I deleted my original post because I had misread what nn said.
86y1W.gif

Considering Stephenson trained at North I reckon our scouts would have a good idea of where his foot skills are at. Happy to back them in.
Has anyone seen mutch of him live? I want to know if his kicking is as bad as made out, or if it’s just an awkward style.

I like the kid, but I’ve only watched the champs and some highlights. He comes across as a fighter, not an easily beaten.

Also, has anyone else noticed in the highlights of other Vic Metro players Stephenson features a bit? Kid gets busy, always there providing an option.
I find myself in watching footage of other Vic Metro players, always looking longingly for Stephenson.... He pops up frequently. It feels a little bit dirty and unclean watching other players....

They have to use their next available pick though don't they? I thought the AFL brought that in to stop teams stocking up on later picks to match bids.

Sorry my post was a bit unclear, as that was assuming that the bid comes in the second round.

They'll have a very tough decision to make if a team bids in the first round. Although I'd say that they'll likely match it.

Unfortunately Brayshaws combine times don't translate in to how he plays imo,his kicking skills are superior but he doesn't break lines like Stephenson..Watch both of these videos and tell me who you think we need more .

Yeah Ive seen those before and I prefer Brayshaw. Wins a lot more of his own ball, continues on after disposals to try and get re-involved in chains, far superior ball retention rate even when under greater pressure and has more awareness of whats going on around him. Less of a threat in the air and less visible pace but Stephenson being more outside is better situated to take advantage of his pace and not sure he gets the same space at AFL level.

Liam Ryan tested well at the WA combine. Sprint and vertical leap solid. Yo-yo shows that he has improved his running capacity, seriously hope we give him a crack.

Bailey Banfield is a player I want to rookie list as well. Overlooked as a F/S last year and has improved out of sight. One of the best and consistent WAFL midfielders. 188cm and 88kg. Tackles hard and has a big tank.

Yeah Ive seen those before and I prefer Brayshaw. Wins a lot more of his own ball, continues on after disposals to try and get re-involved in chains, far superior ball retention rate even when under greater pressure and has more awareness of whats going on around him. Less of a threat in the air and less visible pace but Stephenson being more outside is better situated to take advantage of his pace and not sure he gets the same space at AFL level.

Hard to argue with any of that,guess I just have a soft spot for Stephenson even though his kicking is an issue.

Yep in and under, great awareness and very creative with his handball. Kicking very good on both sides. I guess if you can hurt teams with your disposal you don't need to use your pace as much...Right.....p*** off Stevo were binning you. Take your trendy haircut down the road to the Saints.....

so are GC even going to use 45, seems silly to be part of that deal if they won't be using it? does it get the points right for you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Back