Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't 'on the wall.' And he's still our best ruckman and very capable of being one of the best in the league.
Who would disagree? But we don't have any earlier picks, and no way of getting them, except by trading good players out to get potentially good players. That's a stupid policy.

Better to do what other clubs have to do: trade in good free agents if we can, go to the draft, and develop the players we take, including later and rookie picks. What's wrong with that?
We can agree to disagree on where Goldie was at at the end of 2016 and whether he can again become the best ruck in the comp. again....

There is nothing wrong with going to the draft and doing 'what other clubs do' - its just that (a) that club has said they will be aggressive - this is not being aggressive and (b) i can't think of a premiership club in the last 8-10 years that hasn't seen players leave - forced or otherwise - in return for decent uplift in the draft. I am happy to be corrected there.

Our current list is poorly structured in age profile and on a 'depth chart' basis - the club recognises this which is great but my view is going to the draft with 1 pick in the top 20 wont even cover the losses we are seeing out the other end through retirement/delisting. We need to get more top 30 picks this year and next and its up to FD to come up with a plan to make this happen. Other clubs can do it - why can't we?

Brethren, we take Stephenson with 4 and throw him on the wing from round 1. He's EXACTLY what we lack.

Roll the dice at 23/103 or whatever it ends up being after the Machine looks after the FA clubs that will generate cash flow for them and develop our kids in house.

Stuff this swapping 4 for 7&8 BS to the Aints just so they get the bloke we need and make them better overnight..
Shit they're in exactly same position as us, all meat-n-potatoes with no gravy.

Welcome to North Melbourne Jayden!

We can agree to disagree on where Goldie was at at the end of 2016 and whether he can again become the best ruck in the comp. again....

There is nothing wrong with going to the draft and doing 'what other clubs do' - its just that (a) that club has said they will be aggressive - this is not being aggressive and (b) i can't think of a premiership club in the last 8-10 years that hasn't seen players leave - forced or otherwise - in return for decent uplift in the draft. I am happy to be corrected there.

Our current list is poorly structured in age profile and on a 'depth chart' basis - the club recognises this which is great but my view is going to the draft with 1 pick in the top 20 wont even cover the losses we are seeing out the other end through retirement/delisting. We need to get more top 30 picks this year and next and its up to FD to come up with a plan to make this happen. Other clubs can do it - why can't we?

The only way we will get top 30 picks is to trade out our best players. There is absolutely no guarantee that the draftee will ever be as good as the player that was traded and it will certainly be 3-5 years before we know.
I can see how that strategy can work for powerful and successful clubs at their peak like Hawthorn and Geelong because they can easily top up their lists with high quality free agents that will play for them for 'unders' (Lake, Dew, Dangerfield, GAJ, Gibson, Henderson, Gunston, McEvoy, Hale, Frawley to name a few). A club like ours need to pay 'overs' to land free agents especially at the start of a rebuild with no immediate guarantee of onfield success. We are not a destination club. As you point out, we need to cover our losses through retirement/delisting. We also need onfield success to attract free agents. For both these reasons, trading our best players makes little sense to me. I think the aggressive referred to the big money deals offered to Kelly and Martin. That was aggressive and the right move it just didn't work. We will simply have to take our draft picks and do the best we can with what we have. People tend to overvalue high draft picks IMO, plenty of gems lower down. Adelaide finished top and they didn't have any top 10 draft picks.

Or trade our early picks. Downgrading lets us choose value areas of the draft where we want selections and gives us the currency to do so.

we need quick mids.....guess where they are in the draft? 1-5.
if we trade out our early picks, we not only miss out on one of these guys, but we help an oppo team, to get them.

trading out a player of value isnt a bad idea, but who have we got that would get us a first rounder?

Better to let Atley's contract run out imo. Hes a FA next year and with teams not wanting to part with picks in a strong draft big chance he gets some reasonable offers. Hopefully he has a good year.

We should be looking to trade for future 1Rs. There is going to be a lot of FA movement next trade period thus any picks outside the first round will almost certainly suffer from erosion and the later the pick the greater it becomes

Excellent point about erosion - that Motlop compensation has me seething.
Trading for firsts is easier said than done.

If we get into a bidding war with GC over Darcy ****ing Lang it'll compound my exasperation. I can't understate how much we'll need bidding points with the academy and father son selections on offer next year.
We could set ourselves up for a decade in 2018 but we need to be planning now

If we get into a bidding war with GC over Darcy ******* Lang it'll compound my exasperation. I can't understate how much we'll need bidding points with the academy and father son selections on offer next year.
Yeah, great shout. If the club doesn't have to give up anything it means a higher salary for At and a higher compo pick for us.
Imagine the meltdown if we trade next years 2nd rounder for Darcy Lang....

If we drop from #4 to #7 we can likely (90%) take Brayshaw who has a decent speed/endurance combo and is a mid.

At #4 we likely take Cerra (mid but not quick) or Stephenson (quick but more outside type).
Or Bonar maybe? Some have Brayshaw in the top 4. He's a super safe choice but a bit too steady Eddie for mine with his Legoman hair. More Cotch than Dusty to use a Richmond analogy. I want an excitement machine to get bums on seats. I wonder whether the 2017 draft is a better one for mids than 2018? Next year seems to be all about KPP's, Rankine aside. Plus Dow could easily slip to 4 if someone takes Brayshaw, Brander or Stephenson

If we drop from #4 to #7 we can likely (90%) take Brayshaw who has a decent speed/endurance combo and is a mid.

At #4 we likely take Cerra (mid but not quick) or Stephenson (quick but more outside type).
Yeah we've got oodles of that type eh?...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you Shermanator on the Stephenson bandwagon.......If we could chose between Dow and Stephenson I'd choose Dow as he is a safer bet but a big part of me would be wishing I chose Stephenson. He could be anything.
I'll be happy with any of the top four my brother, but it seems the first three are almost locked in living certainties so JS is the one that covers our most important needs - line breaking, electrifying, ball winning, speed!

Ahh yes because offering elite players big dollars and pulling an elite players twin out of his arse are the only two innovations a list manager is capable of.
Two options more than you've come up with champ. What other ideas have you got? Ask nicely? Bend over? Drop a roofie in Brisbane's drink and steal first draft pick while they're sleeping? Pick up Ahearn for a pack of twisties?

There you go I've come up with 5 awesome ideas. What have you got other than 'be innovative'?

I'll be happy with any of the top four my brother, but it seems the first three are almost locked in living certainties so JS is the one that covers our most important needs - line breaking, electrifying, ball winning, speed!

Reckon if one of the QLD clubs take Rayner Carlton might take Cerra over Dow.

Two options more than you've come up with champ. What other ideas have you got? Ask nicely? Bend over? Drop a roofie in Brisbane's drink and steal first draft pick while they're sleeping? Pick up Ahearn for a pack of twisties?

There you go I've come up with 5 awesome ideas. What have you got other than 'be innovative'?

Champ? Ha.

at #4 we wont be taking cerra. it will be Stephenson, unless he gets picked earlier (the way he played the last few games, its possible) we would take one of the other 3 (ldu, rayner, dow)

we need speed. we have two players with genuine speed, that can play mid, and we need more.

If we get into a bidding war with GC over Darcy ******* Lang it'll compound my exasperation. I can't understate how much we'll need bidding points with the academy and father son selections on offer next year.
There will be no bidding war for Lang.
He picks a club and deal will be done with the club he picks.

Stephenson foot skills have me really worried. Cerra would be my pick if Raynor, Dow and LDU are gone.

I think you're worrying about nothing, we like Stephenson and will look at drafting him just not with pick 4. Don't be at all surprised if the likes of Goldy, Swallow don't actually see us getting extra picks but a pick upgrade.

What ever will be , will be as Orange Peanut said it and so wonderfully.

we need speed. we have two players with genuine speed, that can play mid, and we need more.

Brayshaw was 0.05 sec slower than Stephenson in the 20m at combine and was faster than him in the agility which means his speed whilst changing direction is greater. His disposal is also better and he plays more of a pure mid role than does Stephenson.

Brayshaw was 0.05 sec slower than Stephenson in the 20m at combine and was faster than him in the agility which means his speed whilst changing direction is greater. His disposal is also better and he plays more of a pure mid role than does Stephenson.
Wowsers, that's some serious wheels on the Legoman.... Maybe he's more Fast Eddie than Steady Eddie.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Back