2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

strange after the success of zorko we haven't looked to take more mature state league players

noting we have taken guys like ZOB, Grewar, Steve Wrigley in the rookie drafts but that's about it

seeing the success of some guys like a Luke Ryan etc shame we haven't done it more often

this year our picks are way too high to take mature age player like Kelly I reckon

McInerney, Eagles.... could argue Jansen and Barrett.

McInerney, Eagles.... could argue Jansen and Barrett.

Jansen and Barrett were on other lists

I guess you can make an argument we tracked their performances and saw we needed players like them, but not like either were outstanding mature agers in SANFL, WAFL, or VFL who were delivering consistently strong performances outside of the professional environment of a fulltime club (as these players would have more upside as they are provided with fulltime training, diet etc). So those two do not apply...

Eagles we were given a gentle nudge by the AFL to bid for him was listed in an article about Johan Wagner this year in May/June, the fact that Eagles has gone to make every post a winner is another story.

McIerney back up ruck at Casey Scorpions good talent spotting by us, but at the same time was mature ruck depth

Jansen and Barrett were on other lists

I guess you can make an argument we tracked their performances and saw we needed players like them, but not like either were outstanding mature agers in SANFL, WAFL, or VFL who were delivering consistently strong performances outside of the professional environment of a fulltime club (as these players would have more upside as they are provided with fulltime training, diet etc). So those two do not apply...

Eagles we were given a gentle nudge by the AFL to bid for him was listed in an article about Johan Wagner this year in May/June, the fact that Eagles has gone to make every post a winner is another story.

McIerney back up ruck at Casey Scorpions good talent spotting by us, but at the same time was mature ruck depth

It's still a fair chunk of our list though that was drafted or traded for in their 20s while not being established AFL footballers.

And I think most are happy with our drafting recently.

It's still a fair chunk of our list though that was drafted or traded for in their 20s while not being established AFL footballers.

And I think most are happy with our drafting recently.

Lol youre making an argument for the sake of making an argument but you're not even taking into account what I was saying, which was mature agers outside the afl system. Mature agers currently on our list which were brought in from outside the system include
Rohan Bewick
Dayne Zorko
Oscar Mcinerney
Blake Grewar

4 from a list of 47

Eagles as mentioned does not count. Neither does Hanley as he was from Gealic football. Grewar has been delisted others were fulltime footballers we have brought in, and only real success stories have been Stefan Martin, with bastinac and walker showing signs...but it was not what I was talking about.

All for people having constructive discussions on here, but snipy and irrelevant comments help no one

Lol youre making an argument for the sake of making an argument but you're not even taking into account what I was saying, which was mature agers outside the afl system. Mature agers currently on our list which were brought in from outside the system include
Rohan Bewick
Dayne Zorko
Oscar Mcinerney
Blake Grewar

4 from a list of 47

Eagles as mentioned does not count. Neither does Hanley as he was from Gealic football. Grewar has been delisted others were fulltime footballers we have brought in, and only real success stories have been Stefan Martin, with bastinac and walker showing signs...but it was not what I was talking about.

All for people having constructive discussions on here, but snipy and irrelevant comments help no one

But you have to balance the amount of 18 year olds and mature agers you take each year. We've done this well IMO recently.

If you think picking up guys like Barrett (delisted) and Jansen (no AFL experience) is irrelevant to drafting from the state leagues then there's no point discussing this.

And how about comparing it to the rest of the clubs or clubs at the bottom of the ladder like us.

But you have to balance the amount of 18 year olds and mature agers you take each year. We've done this well IMO recently.

If you think picking up guys like Barrett (delisted) and Jansen (no AFL experience) is irrelevant to drafting from the state leagues then there's no point discussing this.

And how about comparing it to the rest of the clubs or clubs at the bottom of the ladder like us.

yeah sorry mate I see your point of view, my only argument is potentially drafting mature agers from a state league who are coming from an amateur background can be similar to taking an 18 year old draftee that they will improve significantly in a professional environment. Their scope might not be as high as say highly rated juniors but there is more improvement left in them than say a player like Jansen who is treading water in the VFL part of the Geelong AFL system

How is Lachie Harris been going? He seems very small so not sure he could be a midfielder at the next level or to the extent that he would rely on his midfield ability. I think if he has a chance he would have to play as a small forward. Any ideas if his skill set or athletic ability will give him a chance to be drafted as a small forward? Comes from good pedigree.

How is Lachie Harris been going? He seems very small so not sure he could be a midfielder at the next level or to the extent that he would rely on his midfield ability. I think if he has a chance he would have to play as a small forward. Any ideas if his skill set or athletic ability will give him a chance to be drafted as a small forward? Comes from good pedigree.
Caleb Daniels goes ok...ur name is accurate lol

Great kid but the sad fact is that Lachie hasn't come on as would have been hoped. I can't see us taking him even as a rookie.

strange after the success of zorko we haven't looked to take more mature state league players

noting we have taken guys like ZOB, Grewar, Steve Wrigley in the rookie drafts but that's about it

seeing the success of some guys like a Luke Ryan etc shame we haven't done it more often

this year our picks are way too high to take mature age player like Kelly I reckon
We don't have the budget to adequately scout the state leagues.

Great kid but the sad fact is that Lachie hasn't come on as would have been hoped. I can't see us taking him even as a rookie.
Poor judge is Derm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd probably put us as favourites for the spoon next year as well. Or the Suns if they lose Ablett. Definitely bottom 4.

Next year's number 1 pick. Did we choose the wrong year to have a no 1 pick?

Next year looks like a bumper crop. Izak Rankine is looking like the standout in my eyes at the moment though.
Youngest ever to play senior SANFL too. I'd be over the moon if we could get him

Heard we are pretty keen on Sambono in the rookie draft. Personally would be stoked would love to take a punt on a genuine small forward with a ton of x-factor.
Seemed like a player with a lot of untapped potential but with freaky skills when I watched him in WA

Ballenden and Payne picked to play in the U18 all stars game next week.

Both teams look very weak. Even if you added in the likes of Dow, Cerra, Rayner, D. Fogarty and CCJ who are all missing due to injury, they'd still look weak.

Any of the over age academy kids who topped up our NEAFL side we might look to rookie list?
Campbell Walker (nickname: Jesus) is the only one, I'd say, and I'm hoping for the second coming. Was in the bests a number of times, great as a small pressure forward, who can take a mark. Not sure if he'd be ahead of Sambono, but he is younger than Sambono, I think. Very clear that the coaches loved him, which might help.

Sam Copland who played as a medium sized forward in the first 6 games was also impressive but was then injured, so I'm not sure where that leaves him.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back