2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this draft has copped a bit of a knock for being a "weak draft", however, I really rate the top 5 players(Dow, Rayner, Cerra, LDU and Stephenson) and have reached a point where I'd be happy for us to select any of them. Whoever we end up going with we'll have a very talented midfield prospect on our hands and another young gun to add to our exciting youth stocks. I feel very confident in our recruiting staff and back them in to make the best decision for us.

This is probably a bit dated but:

Stephenson on between 3.00 and 7.25.

Mentions he was a Lions supporter growing up and wanted to play like Jonathon Brown (4.50)

I've seen this before but it always nice to watch again. It looks like he's certainly trying to do his bit to be drafted as a Lion

Does anyone still think we'll trade pick 1?
If Rocky decided to leave for the big bucks and we managed to get pick 2 compo. I would think pick 1 could very much be on the table for the right price.
If we were to get the Sts 2 first rounders for pick 1 it will give us picks 2,8,9 and 12 hopefully before a bid on Ballenden.
Or is that just being greedy?
I am not sure what is better? 2,8,9 and 12.
Or 1,2 and 12.
4 for the price of 3?

Last edited:
If Rocky decided to leave for the big bucks and we managed to get pick 2 compo. I would think pick 1 could very much be on the table for the right price.
If we were to get the Sts 2 first rounders for pick 1 it will give us picks 2,8,9 and 12 hopefully before a bid on Ballenden.
Or is that just being greedy?
I am not sure what is better? 2,8,9 and 12.
Or 1,2 and 12.
4 for the price of 3?
Don't overthink it.

After watching a bit of footage I think Nick Coffield and in particular Andrew Brayshaw look quite impressive. Brayshaw moves a bit like Cotchin and is very active spreading from contests, like it.

I saw Coffield at Vic Park recently. Agree he looked really good. reasonably tall and good overhead he made some plays as a "3rd tall" defender and also some good plays as a midfielder.

Don't have much basis for comparison but in the 30 minutes I watched he stood out in that game (elimination final that his team ended up losing comfortably).

After watching a bit of footage I think Nick Coffield and in particular Andrew Brayshaw look quite impressive. Brayshaw moves a bit like Cotchin and is very active spreading from contests, like it.
I wouldn't be surprised if Brayshaw does a Tim Taranto.

He's steadily been climbing draft boards to where he's borderline top 10, and his football has been getting better and better over the last few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW:

I'd be very surprised if "Coach" wasn't impressed with Hunter Clark.
Easily the best game I've seen him play.
Contrary to previous games I have seen, he spent most (if not all) of the day in the midfield.
Loved his clearance & contested work.

For me Clark was superior on the day to LDU (who had his moments, but fewer of them) and was easily my preferred "draftable player", of the two.
The times I had seen him play previously (mostly Championships), it was predominately as a Half Back Flanker.
He rose significantly in my rankings after the weekend.

Also, Andrew Brayshaw again caught my eye ...... a bit one paced, but a bull in the making (I think ahead of his brother [i.e. Angus] at the same stage of development).

FWIW:

Contrary to previous games I have seen, he spent most (if not all) of the day in the midfield.

For me Clark was superior on the day to LDU (who had his moments, but fewer of them) and was easily my preferred "draftable player", of the two.
The times I had seen him play previously (mostly Championships), it was predominately as a Half Back Flanker.

Also, Andrew Brayshaw again caught my eye ...... a bit one paced, but a bull in the making (I think ahead of his brother [i.e. Angus] at the same stage of development).
Not to throw cat amongst the pigeons but if we were to trade back our first (whilst keeping pick 2:cool:) they're the two I would love to get on our list, take Hamish later as well.

FWIW:

So many Brayshaws can be confusing.
After checking my notes, the reference to being "one paced" was meant for Hamish ..... not Andrew.

Could be an excellent footballer. If he tests well at the combine he'll go early.

Just read this.

Kelly has been invited to the AFL draft combine next month — the only senior WAFL player on the list — but is likely to withdraw from the four-day testing session in Melbourne after a minor knee injury in the preliminary final on Sunday.

The South Fremantle midfielder clashed knees with a Subiaco opponent and while he was cleared of any structural damage to the joint, he received significant bruising that is likely to restrict his mobility for several weeks.

strange after the success of zorko we haven't looked to take more mature state league players

noting we have taken guys like ZOB, Grewar, Steve Wrigley in the rookie drafts but that's about it

seeing the success of some guys like a Luke Ryan etc shame we haven't done it more often

this year our picks are way too high to take mature age player like Kelly I reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back