2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Lions facebook page:

Dan & Rohan greet our last two recruits at the airport. Welcome to Brisbane, Zac & Brandon!

View attachment 441074

****, Starc is well built amazing that he also has a nice set of wheels to boot. To have pace and strength is a unique and deadly combo. Can't wait to see him develop.

I see there are at least 5 Academy kids who might be draftable next year. Possibly one factor in why we didn't take another Category
B this year?

I see there are at least 5 Academy kids who might be draftable next year. Possibly one factor in why we didn't take another Category
B this year?
Hey WhiteLionFeva, for those of us not in the know, who are the kids and where do they play? Haven't heard anything about next years crop.

Hey WhiteLionFeva, for those of us not in the know, who are the kids and where do they play? Haven't heard anything about next years crop.
Briz just took this from AFL.com -

BRISBANE LIONS
Tom Matthews
Half-back/wing

Excellent outside player with a good kick and strong overhead mark. Showed his class at the under-17 All Star game on Grand Final eve, racking up 12 disposals in the first quarter before switching positions.

Darcy Marsh
Small forward

Clever left-footer who reads the play well and has an excellent sense around goal. A former Australian under-17 cricketer who has given away the bat and ball to focus on footy.

Justin Currie
Wing

A former national level middle-distance runner, Currie has overcome a stress fracture in his lower back and has resumed full training. Has excellent speed and endurance, and will complete his game with more contested ball work.

Ben Sloan
Half-forward

Missed out on being drafted this year, but the Lions will bring him back to focus purely on their academy program in 2018. Sloan has a good leap, is a strong mark for his size and has broken three seconds for the 20m sprint. Just needs a little more consistency within matches.

Jack Clayton
Defender

Like Sloan, wasn't drafted this year after spending time with the AFL Academy, Lions academy, Lions NEAFL team and Allies under-18s. A small defender with good skills, the club believes training exclusively with its academy (and seniors through pre-season) will improve his game immeasurably.

Hopefully they have a decent draft year and don't fall from the cliff like most of our academy players.
Yep, seems a year is a long time in the Academy scene.

I thought that less likely given Mike whiting WA the one covering the two Qld teams rather than some Vic random. He would have a reasonable idea

Based on 'the Roar Deal', I'm not convinced that even Mike Whiting--who I think is great--has much of an idea about the underage kids. He could certainly have done some research, but evaluating underage academy prospects is well outside his normal range of coverage I reckon. My guess is that those suggestions on players to watch and their attributes would've come from the clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on 'the Roar Deal', I'm not convinced that even Mike Whiting--who I think is great--has much of an idea about the underage kids. He could certainly have done some research, but evaluating underage academy prospects is well outside his normal range of coverage I reckon. My guess is that those suggestions on players to watch and their attributes would've come from the clubs.

Probably not but at least he would have some contact with lions staff who do and could contact them for some genuine names.

Probably not but at least he would have some contact with lions staff who do and could contact them for some genuine names.

Yep, completely agree and I think your original point still stands. I guess there's a chance the club could be trying to hide other prospects we rate, but why would you bother so far out when they'll play in the champs regardless. If the best prospects we can name are two who didn't get drafted in a reportedly shallow pool, it doesn't suggest a great crop coming through.

If they're putting two guys up there that are back for another overage year then clearly we haven't got a massive list of options

IIRC we can only keep one overager in the academy each year as well...

Edit: This is wrong:

14.9 Over Age Players
If a Player is not included on a Club’s Primary List or Rookie List after attaining draft eligibility age, a Club may retain the Player in the Club Academy who is aged over 18 years and under 19 years as at 31 December in the Football Year following the year they attain draft eligibility age for a period of one year, provided such player complies with Rule 14.7 and has previously nominated for the National Draft but has not been selected in any Draft.

Last edited:
If they're putting two guys up there that are back for another overage year then clearly we haven't got a massive list of options

I think you're right, would be very surprised to see Clayton get back into draft calculations after falling away this year, Sloan is probably in a similar situation.

Currie was an amazing 800m runner a few years ago but has since levelled off, never seen him play footy though.

On what I know and have seen our academy crop should be pretty strong in 2019, but 2020's unlikely to be a golden year at this very early stage.

I think you're right, would be very surprised to see Clayton get back into draft calculations after falling away this year, Sloan is probably in a similar situation.

Currie was an amazing 800m runner a few years ago but has since levelled off, never seen him play footy though.

On what I know and have seen our academy crop should be pretty strong in 2019, but 2020's unlikely to be a golden year at this very early stage.
Currie was quicker as a 14-5 year old and his times waned. Has he had injury issues?

2018 draft but anyway...wonder if Thomas Berry is a chance? In KM's top 20

Thomas Berry
Younger brother of Brisbane's Jarrod. Strong contested ball-winner with impressive pace and agility. Dodges and weaves through traffic easily like it is second nature. Among Greater Western Victoria's best players in eight of his 11 games.

2018 draft but anyway...wonder if Thomas Berry is a chance? In KM's top 20

Thomas Berry
Younger brother of Brisbane's Jarrod. Strong contested ball-winner with impressive pace and agility. Dodges and weaves through traffic easily like it is second nature. Among Greater Western Victoria's best players in eight of his 11 games.
Jarrod Berry under rated skill is his agility and pace so his brother is very much like him but from all accounts a better athlete.. If we get both we will be very lucky.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back