2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"I would expect our best ball winner to tag but I'd expect him to be accountable. " is this meant to be...

I wouldn't expect our best ball winner to tag but I'd expect him to be accountable.

Yes must tackle if he doesn't win the ball in the first instance.

As Andrews would be expected to tackle should he not mark the ball in the first instance.

However one doesn't coach either the natural midfield ball winner or the natural intercept marker to be defensive in the first instance.

You allow them to win the ball and take pressure of their teammates.

Being accountable is a lot more than just tackling.

Well balanced. Like having defenders who can defend when required and attack when required. Also, defenders who can cover in certain situations. Sounds like an interesting idea and a bit different than letting a player focus solely on one part of his game instead of developing into a gun, well rounded defender like Alex Rance.

So rate Rance when he goes forward?

I don't, to defence minded won't kick a lot of goals, if he is having a bad day your stuck with that.

Well balanced squad in having your ball winners, winning the ball not to defence minded.

Doesn't not apply to the whole squad.

Know what you got and use, it don't turn all the players in a squad into defence drones.

So rate Rance when he goes forward?

I don't, to defence minded won't kick a lot of goals, if he is having a bad day your stuck with that.

Well balanced squad in having your ball winners, winning the ball not to defence minded.

Doesn't not apply to the whole squad.

Know what you got and use, it don't turn all the players in a squad into defence drones.

I don't think Andrews will long term play on the number one key forward. Partially to allow him to peel off but also because he's not that good a key defender. He might improve but he's not mobile enough.

Andrews does his ACL in a few years time. Our backline which relies on his intercept marking is then under increased pressure to cope having only ever needing to focus on their own opponent. What do we do? Our 2 key defenders are concussed in the first minute; do we shift Andrews onto a key forward being the only one tall enough but he's a lowsy defender because he only ever plays loose.

Do you see how we could get ourselves into trouble by becoming too one dimensional and turning Andrews into a one dimensional defender.

As I see it.

Your advocating turning Andrews into another defence drone to the point he loses his natural gift.

I pray that doesn't happen.

Reading play intercepting marking down back or going forward reading play and kicking goals is a gift that few have to Andrews degree.

Care should be taken with this gift.

First objective of a coach should be do no harm to the talents of those you coach.

As I see it.

Your advocating turning Andrews into another defence drone to the point he loses his natural gift.

I pray that doesn't happen.

Reading play intercepting marking down back or going forward reading play and kicking goals is a gift that few have to Andrews degree.

Care should be taken with this gift.

First objective of a coach should be do no harm to the talents of those you coach.

You see there seems to be a breakdown between me saying that he needs to be able to defend but still peel off and take intercept marks and effect the play like Rance and McGovern and the bolded which seems to be what you actually interpret what I say to be. There is a balance which is why those 2 are all australians.

This may be a serious issue you look into fixing.

It's been my experience in forums like this that when haters start attacking the man or their grammer you have won the argument.

Any football point you would like discuss calmly?

Not really. You seem to be of the opinion that your thoughts are novel and haven't been thought of before and then acting incredulous that others can't see "the truth". I put it to you that you're really not interested in discussion - you just want people to agree with you.

Yes, many have mused of the effectiveness of freeing Andrews up to play more like a Rance. Yes many have bemoaned a lack of pace in our team. The generally agreed upon answers to these riddles is that (a) Andrews is playing as a lockdown FB by necessity and if not for Clarke retiring that might be a reality; and (b) there are so many areas of need in our team that there have been other priority.

You're coming in here after the draft, one of the most hopeful times of year for a struggling side and talking doom and gloom. You're also attempting to discuss things that have been tackled ad nauseum and casting aspersions on well-meaning posters. Then you wonder why people are getting pissed off. Learn to read the ****ing room.

What's the situation with Cian Hanley? Thought we were re-drafting him and Beams. Can we do it outside the draft since Hanley was a Cat B rookie or did the AFL just end up giving us permission anyway for the extra year since we re-committed to him regardless
So Claye's back on the rookie list now. What actually happened in regards to Hanley? What category is he now and how come we didn't have to re-draft him if we were required to delist him?
It’s official with our website welcoming Cian back. Given “special dispensation” by the AFL for a 4th year as a Cat B rookie.

Not really. You seem to be of the opinion that your thoughts are novel and haven't been thought of before and then acting incredulous that others can't see "the truth". I put it to you that you're really not interested in discussion - you just want people to agree with you.

Yes, many have mused of the effectiveness of freeing Andrews up to play more like a Rance. Yes many have bemoaned a lack of pace in our team. The generally agreed upon answers to these riddles is that (a) Andrews is playing as a lockdown FB by necessity and if not for Clarke retiring that might be a reality; and (b) there are so many areas of need in our team that there have been other priority.

You're coming in here after the draft, one of the most hopeful times of year for a struggling side and talking doom and gloom. You're also attempting to discuss things that have been tackled ad nauseum and casting aspersions on well-meaning posters. Then you wonder why people are getting pissed off. Learn to read the ******* room.
Unfortunately seeing rookie mistakes from our professionals.

Could possible do harm to talents of these young players if allowed to continue.

Turning Andrews into another defensive drone is wrong on all levels.

By tying up Andrews ourselves we saved the opposition a job they would of struggled with.

Stupid rookie mistake, football department needs to improve.

And I don't see forums like these as pr propaganda opportunities for sycophant's either.

You see there seems to be a breakdown between me saying that he needs to be able to defend but still peel off and take intercept marks and effect the play like Rance and McGovern and the bolded which seems to be what you actually interpret what I say to be. There is a balance which is why those 2 are all australians.

This may be a serious issue you look into fixing.

"There is a balance which is why those 2 are all australians."

Defenders.

All Australian defenders who really aren't worth much up forward.

This is where we differ.

The Lions can't afford to not recognise the talent it has at its desposal an instead over coach it into a defensive drone.

Preserve his natural ability to read the play and mark the ball, down back and up forward.

Set him free to take the pressure of his team mates and coach two or three others in squad to do same as replacements if needed.

In my opinion.

Could possible do harm to talents of these young players if allowed to continue.

By tying up Andrews ourselves we saved the opposition a job they would of struggled with.

And I don't see forums like these as pr propaganda opportunities for sycophant's either.

What's your background in the AFL industry? Chris Fagan is one of the most respected people in the industry. Had a massive hand in the Hawks winning multiple flags, developed many current AFL coaches and here you are disrespecting someone who has contributed more to the game we love in 1 day than you could possibly hope to achieve in your lifetime. Where do you get off?

"There is a balance which is why those 2 are all australians."

Defenders.

All Australian defenders who really aren't worth much up forward.

This is where we differ.

The Lions can't afford to not recognise the talent it has at its desposal an instead over coach it into a defensive drone.

Preserve his natural ability to read the play and mark the ball, down back and up forward.

Set him free to take the pressure of his team mates and coach two or three others in squad to do same as replacements if needed.

In my opinion.

McGovern is a very competent forward and I'd be more than happy for Andrews to spend some time up there. Doesn't mean he can't learn how to defend.

What's your background in the AFL industry? Chris Fagan is one of the most respected people in the industry. Had a massive hand in the Hawks winning multiple flags, developed many current AFL coaches and here you are disrespecting someone who has contributed more to the game we love in 1 day than you could possibly hope to achieve in your lifetime. Where do you get off?
Fagan to this point is massively over rated imo.

Hawthorn success?

Common thats all the Hawthorn coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagan to this point is massively over rated imo.

Hawthorn success?

Common thats all the Hawthorn coach.

So emotional.

I really love your contribution to this board. All your quality posts are greatly appreciated and you are a ray of sunshine to us all. Please keep posting as much as you can we need more people like you on this board.

McGovern is a very competent forward and I'd be more than happy for Andrews to spend some time up there. Doesn't mean he can't learn how to defend.

He really doesn't have the speed or agility to become a high class shutdown defender.

Spending time trying to turn him into something he can not possibly be, imo.

Has all he needs to be exceptional defensive intercept marker and a very good forward.

For mine football department should stop damaging his natural ability for no gain.

He really doesn't have the speed or agility to become a high class shutdown defender.

Has all he needs to be exceptional defensive intercept marker and a very good forward.

For mine football department should stop damaging his natural ability for no gain.

Great post, well done. What do you have for us next?

So emotional.

I really love your contribution to this board. All your quality posts are greatly appreciated and you are a ray of sunshine to us all. Please keep posting as much as you can we need more people like you on this board.
Hahaha, been waiting most the afternoon to get back at me?

Hope you have enjoyed yourself.

Where's the evidence that they're 'damaging his natural ability'?

Honestly, if he can't both defend and also peel off to intercept mark then he's not a very good footballer.

Where's the evidence that they're 'damaging his natural ability'?

Honestly, if he can't both defend and also peel off to intercept mark then he's not a very good footballer.
It is obvious that if they keep teaching your ball winners robot fashion to defend first then thats what they'll do.

Then the team starves of possession.

Train the way you want to play.

Heard or read this anywhere?

I for one believe it.

Humans mostly are creatures of habits.

Teach defense first and foremost and that's exactly what you get.

Correct for most of your squad not all, imo.

Learn to structure your "sentences" and write so I can tell what you're arguing. ATM you're just barking contrarian rhetoric.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back