Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Radio saying we should be asking for Jack Martin.
Also reckon that Weller this year would be pick 5 - 10.
Music to my ears that the AFL media are spruiking Weller as a gun worthy of a high 1st round pick. It's GC so they don't have anyone in their corner trying to help them out in the media. Better believe if Weller wanted to go to a Vic club all the talk would be for a early 2nd rounder.

Jack Martin..... well that would tickle me in all the right places.

Pick 2 is overs. Pick 2 and 21 for 5 and Weller isn't. If we get pick 2 for this and keep pick 5 I'd be doing things to myself that would never allow me in a church.
Don't like the 5->2 upgrade as I am not convinced their is a big enough disparity in those players (I could be wrong of course). I'd rather two early twenties since 1 would go to GWS anyway.

I am quite sure the price won't be pick 2. We are just going through the bartering motions.

21 + 24 + Matera for Weller + 40 is my guess. If we are really lucky we might be able to fleece their 2018 1st (if they think they are going up the ladder a bit) for Weller and something but I doubt it.

Get him home for a fair price (which is slight overs because contract).
That rates Weller at pick 13. Lose the 40 and replace it with our 4th round pick or lose it completely. Rates him at pick 9 and 7 respectively.

That rates Weller at pick 13. Lose the 40 and replace it with our 4th round pick or lose it completely. Rates him at pick 9 and 7 respectively.
I'd obviously do that but these trades never seem to be as we like so I expect some level of dissatisfaction. If we got to keep 40 that is actually about as good of a deal as I think we can get. I'd love to be wrong of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheahan + Nixon are saying that today they found out Hogan is seriously considering playing for Freo next year.

I don't see this happening in 2 days.

Keep in mind, these guys knew about Weller last week.
Where are they saying this?

Sheahan + Nixon are saying that today they found out Hogan is seriously considering playing for Freo next year.

I don't see this happening in 2 days.

Keep in mind, these guys knew about Weller last week.
Weller to GC.
5 to Dees.
Hogan to Freo
GC work out the rest with Dees. Probably 2x20 picks.

Having said that I don't believe a word of it. Player of Hogan's status doesn't get traded in two days without groundwork already done.

I would much rather their 2018 first rounder than pick #2 this year because we already have #5 and there are far more players we need next year. Remember in 2015 when we parted with our future 2nd (ended up being #22) and only got #35? Or in 2016 when we got #35 for our future 2nd (currently pick #24)?

So using that same logic I think their future 1st would average out to pick #15. So that plus a 3rd upgraded to a 2nd sounds fair to me.

Possibly be dreaming but it might be more palatable to them than spending #2 this year.

Said it before, I don't think 2 was out of the question. Weller is easily a top 5 player form the 2014 draft. He's 21, played nearly 50 games, ceiling is high. He could play another 10 years for GC.

If you could take someone at the draft that could give you all that, would you take it?

I would much rather their 2018 first rounder than pick #2 this year because we already have #5 and there are far more players we need next year. Remember in 2015 when we parted with our future 2nd (ended up being #22) and only got #35? Or in 2016 when we got #35 for our future 2nd (currently pick #25)?

So using that same logic I think their future 1st would average out to pick #15. So that plus a 3rd upgraded to a 2nd sounds fair to me.

Possibly be dreaming but it might be more palatable to them than spending #2 this year.
I think they would be optimistic enough to think that they might improve on 17th at least. Only need 4 more wins or so to jump up to 13th this year. So in that sense and with the "super draft" factor aside I think they would be more likely to trade 2018 first.

Weren't you on the *stop with the Hogan Posts* wagon? :oops:

Yeah and I also was on the "Nixon is an idiot" wagon until he was right about everything this trade period. It's common knowledge over there that he's involved with a lot of clubs again now and he's getting back into player management - so I actually have some faith in what he's saying.

He sounded very confident about his Hogan information.

Where are they saying this?

www.facebook.com/SportingNewsAU/videos/

Balic... Crozier... Weller.. who's next? You could just draft WA players and still come out with a very good draft.

EG: trade 5 down, add a second and draft Naughton and Starcevich.

Take Matera, 21 and 24 for Weller. Trade 21 for Wilson and use 24 on Oscar Allen (if still there).

Grab Patmore and Starcevich with our 3rd rounders, Banfield and Farrant with the 4ths.

Swing by the Rookie draft and grab Garlett and Marsh for depth.

Ins:
Wilson
Matera
Naughton
Allen
Starcevich
Patmore
Banfield
Farrant
Garlett
Marsh

:)