Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

What type of player do we need most? (Whether mature or rookie age)

• A tall forward

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • An inside midfielder

Votes: 44 24.7%
  • An outside midfielder

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • A half back

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • A small forward

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • A ruckman

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He got three or 4 knee reconstruction not many players out there had that kind of history . I am not sure what his salary like but ( 400k/ 3 years ) recruit people would rather take Kersten type of players (that is without the injuries) if they are available

They must be spewing they let Kersten go ;)

All he's saying is to prioritise investing in key position talls with your early draft picks rather than look with a trade solution. That's probably vs take the best pick available option too, which at least is a counterpoint to what we hear Brad Lloyd saying.
I thought it was an odd assessment. He knocks bringing in players via trades, yet advocates for trades. He does seem to be saying go tall early, yet provides no analysis of which players we should target at 5 that would fulfil his call to replace Pavlich. And he also seems to do a little backflip towards suggesting that all of that can be ignored this draft and play it out in the next draft.

Really ordinary commentary imo.

Last edited:
Seriously after so many negative opinion on Buck article some idiot still spend time and read it?

Buckenara was a long term recruiter/scout for a club that's won 10 flags in 40 years but yeah, freo bigfooty numpties know more

Buckenara was a long term recruiter/scout for a club that's won 10 flags in 40 years but yeah, freo bigfooty numpties know more
Hawks got rid of him after the Buddy draft.

Also, you judge people what comes out of the mouth.

Bucks said that Lyon stop recruiting C Graders.

Last year we got B Hill, Hamling, McCarthy and Kersten.

Only Kersten is one Bucks is talking about. Damn, we gave up pick 60.

GWS List Manager playing silly buggers saying on trade radio they want a top 20 pick for a player who finished 14th in their B&F, needs out due to personal reasons and has already bought a house near our new training facility. Really hope we don't have to deal with these ***** again over the next few years.

Connors said it will get done without Freo acquiring that pick. Lloyd and Cornes saying it will get done for a future 2nd, possibly today.

How many of you of read the entire article.

It was pretty balanced. He also said get rid of D Pearce :)

I am also a fan of Aliir.

CRYSTAL BALL

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Fremantle knocking on the door of the top eight in 2018, but a lot will depend on it having a healthy list with Fyfe and Sandilands leading the way, McCarthy and Kersten becoming consistent performers and Hamling developing further into his defensive role.

If the club can move on more of those experienced players — and I back the decision to move on back-up ruckmen Clarke and Griffin — like Pearce and Suban and bring in some talented youngsters via the draft and watch them develop, I expect them to be in the mix to play finals for the next two to three years.

GWS List Manager playing silly buggers saying on trade radio they want a top 20 pick for a player who finished 14th in their B&F, needs out due to personal reasons and has already bought a house near our new training facility. Really hope we don't have to deal with these ***** again over the next few years.

Connors said it will get done without Freo acquiring that pick. Lloyd and Cornes saying it will get done for a future 2nd, possibly today.
Hopefully they are happy with 'points equivalent' to pick 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with free agency over, did the saints miss out on another big fish in Nick Suburban?:cool::p:D

I thought the Buckenara article was worth a read. These guys do this for every club so it's understandable why it's fingernail deep and possibly doesn't understand the full context of certain aspects.

I think the trade bit at the start would put off most Freo supporters as it isn't accurate - BHill just won the Doig, Hamling was amazing, and McCarthy, despite having an ordinary season, means we finally get a KPF in the door and Kersten meant we had an AFL ready forward to slot in. And the Bennell trade previously we could be laughing about in 2018 if he plays out the season.

But apart from that starting bit I didn't think it was terribly off the mark, just not that enlightening to those who follow the club closely.

I like 5 for 9, 24 and 29 that was reportedly on offer last week. Trade 24 and 29 to gc for 22, 37 and matera and then 22 for Wilson. Means we trade 5 for 9, wilson, matera, 37 and keep 2018 2nd

So with free agency over, did the saints miss out on another big fish in Nick Suburban?:cool::p:D
Clearly that's how Lloydy has been spending his time over the past week - organising a 4 club mega trade involving Suban (at the pub by the sounds of that other thread). Like Dangerfield, Suban is a quality player so it was always going to end in a trade, not this free agency rubbish.

* not serious

Hopefully they are happy with 'points equivalent' to pick 20.
I think they have to. I just don't see us trading #5 now, and we won't touch 2018 1st so unless we trade a player (or trade our future 2nd with a 3rd club) we aren't getting a late 1st rounder. I think points equivalent is more than fair and reasonable given the situation.

Someone is going to get Stringer for a packet of chips. I don't know enough about his dramas to judge but when he gets his shit sorted out it'll be the bargain of the century.

Can't be worse than Shane Yarran and we still picked him up.

Pick 5 for Stringer and Pick 9. Depends on how bitter the Dogs get towards the Bombers, how badly they want to offload him and how keen they are to move up in the draft. We'd just need to work in some arrangements so he can spend extra time in Vic when we travel so he can see his kids. A fresh start.

Funny how the media can do a 180 in a heart beat. This time last year, the Dogs had the most amazing environment and coaches/support staff for players of all AFL clubs. Beveridge anointed the player whisperer. This year, ummm...

So either the Dogs have formed some serious cultural issues post premiership or there is a lot (like a tonne) more to this Stringer debacle than we're hearing. I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Quality player but too high risk, especially if it means separating him from his kids by the length of the country.

Someone is going to get Stringer for a packet of chips. I don't know enough about his dramas to judge but when he gets his shit sorted out it'll be the bargain of the century.

Can't be worse than Shane Yarran and we still picked him up.

Pick 5 for Stringer and Pick 9. Depends on how bitter the Dogs get towards the Bombers, how badly they want to offload him and how keen they are to move up in the draft. We'd just need to work in some arrangements so he can spend extra time in Vic when we travel so he can see his kids. A fresh start.

And then he'll get his life back together in a few years and head home again like Croad and Tarrant.

Would anyone trade pick 5 for 2xfirst rounders next year? Like with Adelaide.
Definitely worth considering. If we think the talent next year exceeds any of the top 5/7 picks this year then I would. But if we think there is a Judd available at pick 5 this year then best to keep this year's 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2017 Free Agency & Trade Period

Back