2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Schache possibly staying will be like landing the biggest fish of the trade period for me and outweighs the loss of Rockliff.

That’s just me though.
Lets just hope he is actually happy to stay.
Because next year may be the most important in his footy career, ever. He needs to show some fight.
I will back him in.

Well so far we have lost one of our best players for a shit pick, let the world know Schache is only staying because no-one else wants him and have been unable to secure a player who wants to be here. Have not got any extra picks in the top ten or got rid of any list cloggers. Going to need a big day tomorrow to remedy any of this but you can continue to let your one-eyedness blind you that everything is ok.
We can continue to have faith in the list management team and the number of very good youngsters we had picked up in the last 3 years. Rocky is a loss but it provides an opportunity for a number of other players to step up. This is the rebuild that needed to happen when Voss took over but the coaches and club bungled it for years.

We can continue to have faith in the list management team and the number of very good youngsters we had picked up in the last 3 years. Rocky is a loss but it provides an opportunity for a number of other players to step up. This is the rebuild that needed to happen when Voss took over but the coaches and club bungled it for years.
Weren't we going to trade week for midfielders in the 23-27 age bracket. I didn't say that the club did. We shall see.

Dodongo thinks it's possible to trade 1 for 7 and 8 or trade 12, 18 and 20 for 5, 6 or 7 if the club push it hard enough. Just need a second or third back for Ballenden. Dodongo thinks the club has been so focused in Cameron and Schache they haven't had time to work out creative trades. Dodongo thinks that will change tomorrow and some creative trades will happen.
As always I like Dodongo's thinking, but I just can't see it happening. In a weaker trade, even if its relatively even in the top ten, you don't give up early picks.

1 for 7 and 8 we lose the best player in the draft and one of the best mids and we need quality. Not in our interests to do it, even if the Saints agreed and I don't think they will.

12 & 20 or 12 & 18 are probably enough points for 5 or 6 or 7, but sliding back 5 to 7 spots is a big ask. Last year we only slid back from 2 to 3. I'd say our only chance is 12 & 20 for 8 & 45 from the Saints. Will we get a much better player at 8 compared with 12?

43 and 45 will match a bid for Ballenden from 20, but the danger of this is if a bid comes before 18, then we match that with 18 and are left with 2 later picks when the quality is gone. Makes much more sense to me to use 1, 12 and 18 on the best players available and take Ballenden at 20.

43 is either sent to the Hawks for Hodge or used on Payne or best available. With changes this year, where no of picks must equal list spots, there will be no clubs wanting to move back, making pick exchanges much harder to do. Already 8 clubs are trying to move forward. Not going to happen unfortunately.

Last edited:
Looks okaay so far, depends how you spin it.

- Offloaded a player with only 50-60 games left for a first round draft pick.
- Look like picking up Charlie Cameron with second rounder next year instead of burning pick 12 on him.
- For free, we are picking up a player/coach who was the third best player for the Hawks this year, has double the experience of anyone else on the list, and is a one of the greatest onfield leaders/teachers in the history of the game.
- We look like keeping a former number 2 draft pick instead of letting him go for a second rounder, and he seems happy to stay.
- We have four picks in the top 20 - far more points than any other team, and more than double the points of all other teams except Suns + Saints.
- There's still a day to go.

Ultimately there's only so much we can do if there aren't any quality uncontracted/free agent players that want to come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An offer that satisfies the Brisbane Lions. Ballpark figure based on one draft pick I assume is anywhere from 5 - 15.
Figured it would be something around there, would love to have him at the blues, I see a big future for him wherever he plays his footy at. As much as id love to see him at Carlton the only way I see that happening is by giving up the pick 16 / 2018 R1 from Adelaide (if we get them), and even then I'm not sure if the men in charge would be willing to give that up.

Stevo reckons we could take Lin Jong tomorrow potentially in a Schache deal.

Not sure if that's just Stevo's wishful thinking or if there's anything more to it but I guess we do need another inside midfielder with Rocky gone and missing out on Kennedy.

Figured it would be something around there, would love to have him at the blues, I see a big future for him wherever he plays his footy at. As much as id love to see him at Carlton the only way I see that happening is by giving up the pick 16 / 2018 R1 from Adelaide (if we get them), and even then I'm not sure if the men in charge would be willing to give that up.

It's honestly not worth it for us. It's a trade instigated by a compassion decision that is somewhat pre-emptive and completely conditional on a valuable return. The reputed lack of interest I assume is half due to a young man dealing with a few issues and half due to us still expecting high value for a player we'd love to be a part of our future.
Check out our threads, we want to keep him. 99% would prefer it.

Stevo reckons we could take Lin Jong tomorrow potentially in a Schache deal.

Not sure if that's just Stevo's wishful thinking or if there's anything more to it but I guess we do need another inside midfielder with Rocky gone and missing out on Kennedy.
Yeah that was strange. He's actually pretty well connected at the Dogs too... worrying

Weren't we going to trade week for midfielders in the 23-27 age bracket. I didn't say that the club did. We shall see.
They (as in players) have to want to come here. And their clubs have to want to let them go, or be satisfied with our trade offer.

Can't buy what's not there.

The club was/is hopeful in getting a deal done for Charlie Cameron, but won't pay overs.

This is a long term list build. It's highly unlikely that the addition of CC and some top end draftees would have moved the needle significantly next season.

If you are that naive that you do not understand the team strategy, then I doubt anything anyone says will change that.

Like I said I’m as ignorant as you are but I have faith in noble and co doing as good a job as possible and not to act like a whiny, spoilt mine year old.
I simply stated it as it stands, take the emotion out of it and it's on the money. Surely doing as good a job as possible would involve reaching some of your objectives would it not.? I not actually acting like anything just a realist point of view. 9 year olds are more likely to believe everything is good because mum and dad or Noble and Dom in this case are acting like it is. Hope I'm wrong.

They (as in players) have to want to come here. And their clubs have to want to let them go, or be satisfied with our trade offer.

The club was/is hopeful in getting a deal done for Charlie Cameron, but won't pay overs.

This is a long term list build. It's highly unlikely that the addition of CC and some top end draftees would have moved the needle significantly next season.

If you are that naive that you do not understand the team strategy, then I doubt anything anyone says will change that.

I simply stated it as it stands, take the emotion out of it and it's on the money. Surely doing as good a job as possible would involve reaching some of your objectives would it not.? I not actually acting like anything just a realist point of view. 9 year olds are more likely to believe everything is good because mum and dad or Noble and Dom in this case are acting like it is. Hope I'm wrong.

Stop it!

You're making Dylan sound like an optimist.

So who did we have the chance to get but didn’t because we made a mistake?

People get paid to find players who may be able to be swayed and sell the club to them. Not saying it's easy but it is what their job is. I'm naive am i, suggest pretending that having some sort of inside knowledge on the 'team' strategy when clearly just a supporter is naive. Thought the strategy beginning of trade week was couple of semi experienced mid fielders?

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back