2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cause that's working well for us now.

I'm not saying not go to the draft with pick one. I'm hypothetically saying use his pick (if he leaves) to get someone with runs (and flags) on board.

Pick 1 goes to the draft. To me that's a non negotiable.
I understood exactly what you were saying.

From my perspective, you are talking about using a mid high draft pick on a player in the Rockliff/Beams age group, or just outside this age group. For me this is selling the future to ease a little short term pain. I honestly do not believe Rockliff etc will either be around when our current and future kids are legitimately contending for a flag, or they'll be depth players not in the best 22/26 and not far off retiring.

What sucks is that we're going to lose Schache and very unlikely to receive fair value for him. To compound this, this years draft is looking particularly shallow, so the pick we get for Schache will likely straight up pay for Ballenden. If we trade the Schache pick out, this means we need to use Ports pick plus our second round pick to match the bid on Ballenden.

Will bringing in one extra best 22 player make that much of a difference over the next 3 years. Will he guarantee us 3 or 4 extra wins per season, thus contributing towards keeping our younger kids.

I'd sooner trade our 3rd round pick for a Shaun Burgoyne on a 1 + 2 deal.

From my perspective, you are talking about using a mid high draft pick on a player in the Rockliff/Beams age group, or just outside this age group. For me this is selling the future to ease a little short term pain. I honestly do not believe Rockliff etc will either be around when our current and future kids are legitimately contending for a flag, or they'll be depth players not in the best 22/26 and not far off retiring.
That probably is a better idea briz and what I have been thinking for a while. It just gets frustrating watching your team struggle year after year and I'm continually throwing ideas around in my head to make us better.

I long for the day when we are not talking about drafts/trades/priority picks so early in the season and instead on here we're discussing whether we should book our accommodation in Melbourne for the last Saturday in September, luckily I'm a September member.

Maybe if Schache goes and we get a top 10 pick for him maybe offload that for someone in the 24-26 range with 150 games.
We'd surely be getting more than a top 10 pick. We took him with pick 2, put 2 years into him and you think we'd be willing to just accept that?

Id happily give pick 6-10 up for one of Gunston breust shiels or rioli. To get quality you gotta pay quality. Wouldnt mind 2 of those 4 though.
Really. We only got a rubbish pick for Akermanis and accepted rubbish for Yeo and Docherty, yet you'd give a top pick for one of those Hawks?

We'd surely be getting more than a top 10 pick. We took him with pick 2, put 2 years into him and you think we'd be willing to just accept that?

Really. We only got a rubbish pick for Akermanis and accepted rubbish for Yeo and Docherty, yet you'd give a top pick for one of those Hawks?

Really depends where Schache ends up. If Schache nominates Richmond, we're not getting a top 10 pick because Richmond won't have one. It will be hard to pry Richmonds two first rounders from them, without including our 3rd round pick back. Then we'd have to try and trade two later first round picks for a pick in the 6 to 10 range.

There really are only four kids in the top 8 that make sense for Brisbane on a needs/fit basis and that may not represent a go home risk. And one of them makes Hipwood look like a body builder. Outside of the top 8 and Ballenden, there might only be one other kid with possible first round talent that we might target, because outside the top 8, the first round looks dominated by Vic Metro kids and KPD's. It is a shallow year for Vic country kids. There might only be 8 Vic country kids (2 KPD's and 6 midfielders) in the top 25, and talk from most draft watchers (both on BF and in the media) is that after the top 25, this draft falls off a cliff.

What sucks is that we're going to lose Schache and very unlikely to receive fair value for him. To compound this, this years draft is looking particularly shallow, so the pick we get for Schache will likely straight up pay for Ballenden. If we trade the Schache pick out, this means we need to use Ports pick plus our second round pick to match the bid on Ballenden.

Will bringing in one extra best 22 player make that much of a difference over the next 3 years. Will he guarantee us 3 or 4 extra wins per season, thus contributing towards keeping our younger kids.

I think it'd be worth bringing in a player like burgoyne. Not because of his playing ability but what he brings off field which we lack.

Young players in the AFL are like any other new employee trying to carve a career out in their industry. They need mentors to show exactly what goes into being successful as well as advice and support to lean on.

Our current squad has so little of that (Only Beams and Christensen have experienced any real success). it would be invaluable to bring in players from premiership teams. They dont have to be the most talented or even within our age bracket but the kind of players who got the most out of themselves and are well respected.

Thats the sort of work ethic you want your players to model their professional career around and something we sorely lack.

So with the hawkers demise on cue. Could we pick the carcass. Surely Fages has some good relations still. Maybe if Schache goes and we get a top 10 pick for him maybe offload that for someone in the 24-26 range with 150 games.

Pipe dream I know but maybe Gunston or Smith.

Any others worth looking at.

Keep in mind hawthorn may want some high draft picks as i feel they are too far gone to top up.

Breust...

Yeah i definitely wasnt having a shot. More bemoaning our retention history.

2 of gunston smith or bruest would help heaps. Throw in a fit m robbo rockliff and christensen and we start resembling a team.

At what cost. I don't know. But one thing is for sure. Im glad I'm not in Nobles position.

Yeah i definitely wasnt having a shot. More bemoaning our retention history.

2 of gunston smith or bruest would help heaps. Throw in a fit m robbo rockliff and christensen and we start resembling a team.

At what cost. I don't know. But one thing is for sure. Im glad I'm not in Nobles position.

It's been discussed a little on the draft, trade and free agency board that we should be looking at couple of the unrestricted free agents, which won't cost us any draft picks.

However, most teams are going to have significant money available under the cap, so it certainly won't be easy to attract quality free agents to Brisbane. We would definitely have to over pay to get them.

It's been discussed a little on the draft, trade and free agency board that we should be looking at couple of the unrestricted free agents, which won't cost us any draft picks.

However, most teams are going to have significant money available under the cap, so it certainly won't be easy to attract quality free agents to Brisbane. We would definitely have to over pay to get them.
Fair call. Could the fagan connection help when it comes to hawthorn players.

With the trade and free agency talk starting to ramp up, what I am thinking about right now is, imagine how many possible compensation picks there might be spread throughout this years draft.

It's conceivable there will be a couple of first round compo picks that may push mid to late picks back. There's a high probability of a few end of first round compo picks, pushing the second round back. And in a shallow draft, this will drive the value of second and later round picks down in trade considerations.

Is it possible that Gunston is no good?

He's undersized for a key forward and not quick. Has done nothing this year in a struggling side.

I'd rather Burton.

Is it possible that Gunston is no good?

He's undersized for a key forward and not quick. Has done nothing this year in a struggling side.

I'd rather Burton.

Gunston has been spudding it up this season so it does beg the question as to whether he is just an ordinary player that was made to look good by the silver service he was formerly getting from the likes of Mitchell, Lewis an Rioli.

Or is he just sadly out of form?

At this stage I'm thinking the former.

Gunston has been spudding it up this season so it does beg the question as to whether he is just an ordinary player that was made to look good by the silver service he was formerly getting from the likes of Mitchell, Lewis an Rioli.

Or is he just sadly out of form?

At this stage I'm thinking the former.
I tend to think he is out of form but happy to reassess at seasons end. He is certainly a player who can make the most of good opportunities coming at him from the on ballers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without wanting to needle other posters, I reckon this spud/not-spud thing is an unhelpful binary.

There are players in that team who've been succeeding at the highest level playing a specific role and are now being asked to play a different role or carry more of the load. That would be a tough adjustment. It also doesn't mean that they couldn't succeed again once they've adjusted, or immediately playing in a different side with different strengths to this year's Hawthorn.

It's fair enough to argue that struggling senior players at the Hawks would flounder even worse in our very young side. Maybe not though.

Shaun Burgoyne? No way!! Drafting a bloke who would be turning 35 before the 2018 season even starts would almost be as silly as the Fevola signing. That said, I don't mind the idea of circling around a few of the more experienced players on the Hawthorn list who might be out of contract and sick of Clarkson.

Shaun Burgoyne? No way!! Drafting a bloke who would be turning 35 before the 2018 season even starts would almost be as silly as the Fevola signing. That said, I don't mind the idea of circling around a few of the more experienced players on the Hawthorn list who might be out of contract and sick of Clarkson.
How is it silly? Think its a good idea. Not giving up much, and would prefer him than another skinny 18 yo who won't do much. Least he would help hopefully in the short term by providing some class. We are basically giving them nothing and the signing would provide leadership on ground which is amust

Any normal draft, I'd tend to agree. But this year looks to be a very shallow draft and I'm guessing there will be a lot of end of first round and second round compensation picks from a much more active trade period. It's conceivable that our 3rd round pick (Collingwoods pick) could be in the mid to late 40's.

I'd rather carry a player coach who has the respect of the player group, and can drive standards, than many of our current list cloggers.

And while he maybe 35, he was still pretty fit and fast in last nights game.

Even better, going through AFL.coms article on this years free agents, Shaun Burgoyne is an unrestricted free agent. Just offer him a 1+2 contract that Hawthorn is unlikely to match. We're offering a Burgoyne a career after football, and Brisbane is a great place to raise a young family.

Just have to de-list a contracted player, or more than one.

Without wanting to needle other posters, I reckon this spud/not-spud thing is an unhelpful binary.

There are players in that team who've been succeeding at the highest level playing a specific role and are now being asked to play a different role or carry more of the load. That would be a tough adjustment. It also doesn't mean that they couldn't succeed again once they've adjusted, or immediately playing in a different side with different strengths to this year's Hawthorn.

It's fair enough to argue that struggling senior players at the Hawks would flounder even worse in our very young side. Maybe not though.
That's what a spud poster would say... ;)

Here's who is available from Hawthorn- http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to-hawthorn-hawks
I would throw money at Tim O'Brien, Billy Hartung, Taylor Duryea, Ryan Schoenmakers and / or Josh Gibson before Burgoyne. Don't get me wrong, Burgoyne is an absolute Rolls Royce, he is just too old a model.

Why are we throwing money at Hawthorn spuds?? At least throw money at good players FFS.
You missed the vital bit of the post "BEFORE BURGOYNE..."

I actually think Gibson is cooked and he wouldn't move to Brisbane in any event.
I haven't watched him enough this year, but I defer to you Dylan12 because as I said in the Schache thread, I rate you as a good judge.

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Trade and FA thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back