List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair we aint going to get a Ben Cousins/Kerr/Judd/Cox caliber player at pick 13 and also we haven't seen a midfield like that since at any club, that midfield indeed did carry but look at the level they were at... impossible to replicate basically 3 brownlow medalist midfielders lol..

That's fair enough but using top picks on players that play positions we don't need right now is ridiculous. As others have mentioned there were plenty of good true mids available at our picks and we took forwards which we don't need. It's ok to look to the future but not when you neglect the present.

I’m confused as to why Fremantle would leave the superior Brayshaw in the draft pool for us to snaffle while blowing ‘The Lachie Weller Millions’ on his much, much inferior brother?
IS9nqlN.gif

Goodness, people here were putting Liam Ryan at 87 or 105 in their draft predictions? Come on. 20 year olds who kick more than 70 goals in the twos are not going to last until practically every other footy player in the country has been selected.
And yet a 19 year old who kicked 50 odd in the two's was passed over for 1 year of an undersized tall defender who's best chance of hitting an AFL field was as a boundary umpire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think people are pissed at who we got, rather how we got them. It's just such a waste to trade away a potentially top 10 pick next year for picks that we are going to reach on anyway. If we are going to do that id rather have traded pick 13 this year for the same picks and started the rebuild with a top 5 tall forward next year.

I can't really see the line of thinking. The guys we picked scream rebuild yet we traded away next years first rounder? Which way are we going? Rebuild or contend? Because we sat on the fence with our trading/draft.

It's very backwards. Would have thought the only reason you bring picks forward a year is if you want to make a play at ready made players for a crack instantly. The recruiting seems very disjointed. We traded for picks but for no real forward looking to the draft.
Maybe we will make some serious room again next year with a few more delistings and still be in the draft that runs pretty deep.

That's fair enough but using top picks on players that play positions we don't need right now is ridiculous. As others have mentioned there were plenty of good true mids available at our picks and we took forwards which we don't need. It's ok to look to the future but not when you neglect the present.

I guess we will see how much we ****ed up in due time, I personally don't know what the recruiting team's plan is these guys do this as a full time job so they must be building a list towards a vision they have and again we will see if that vision is wrong or not in due time.

We might do a multi year tank like freo did, who knows.

I guess we will see how much we ****** up in due time, I personally don't know what the recruiting team's plan is these guys do this as a full time job so they must be building a list towards a vision they have and again we will see if that vision is wrong or not in due time.

We might do a multi year tank like freo did, who knows.

It certainly seems like we are looking to tank with this draft.

I'd suggest it'd be the ones (virtually every one on the planet besides our recruitment team) who thought we needed to improve our midfield and so should have drafted some decent midfielders with our early picks. But hey, who am I to judge? I mean our recruiting in the last 10 years has showered us in premierships so I guess I should just stick to trusting the club.

Well it has gotten us to a GF and multiple top 4 finishes.

The fact is I, like 99% of this board, know SFA about these players.

We will see if these were the right picks in a few years time.

?? Please explain, I don't quite understand.

so here's how i see it:

- in the first round you just select best available, you completely ignore your needs. if you need to address need, thats what the trade period is for. the reality is any player taken in the draft as an 18 year old, isnt going to be able to impact your teams performance in the short term. you are selecting them on what they will do in 3-4 years time for a period of 6-8 years.
- you are approaching the rebuild stage with the age of some of your star players. best case: 3 years away, but its coming
- you rebuild with the KPP talent first. taking brander there means you will get a good head start whilst your side is competitive
- if you switched the position of allen and brander i doubt many would blink an eye lid
- allen is a bargain
- brander is vert good. ability to play fwd and back
- i've watched ainsworth alot at subi. based on the reponse on here, you guys dont realise what youve got. i suspect because the majority of info has come from the victorian media who havent even watched more than 3 live games of ainsworth. he's better than priddis at the same age. he's in the cripps/steele/mundy mold. he is your all ausralian centerman in the making. he'll go in there an extract you the pill, then rest forward and kick a goal or two
- liam ryan is an out and out star. he's a massive upgrade on hill and it means you have life after lecras. i've had the pleasure of watching him for 2 years now after him coming from no where. believe in the hype
- Petruccelle is fast. yeh, i'm sure a lot of you are reading this and going "sure we've heard that before, there's fast players in every draft"... this kid is QUICK! dont you need some outside pace, plus at the pick you are taking him at, its a punt. well worth the punt!!!

i'd happily swap draft haul

Time will tell I guess, probably not going to be an all-time great but certainly would have improved our midfield imo, something which Brander won't do.
We do have a fair few young mids that could be anything in Duggan, Venebles Ah Chee, Sheed, what I noticed when Priddis was out of the side the midfield seemed to gel better.

Also Redden was showing better form at the end of last year so the midfield may not be soo doom and gloom.

Geelong are such campaigners. First Cockatoo now Kelly. **** em.

If, as it appears, Geelong has recruited its next premiership midfield, their recruiters are going to be praised to the skies again. What no-one mentions is clubs like outs that had the chance to grab those players but passed. I hope I'm wrong but....

I get the feeling Rioli really wants it though, IMO. I’m not saying that Ryan doesn’t but I can just see him not settling into AFL life and going back to play WAFL.
That's awesome.

I am stoked that we traded away a likely top ten pick in a strong draft for a flaky pocket and a C grade mid.

Good job Rawlings! Good to see you really pulling the strings and rolling the dice - the old aggressive West Coast is truly back and here to stay!

**** you campaigner

Very few words on each selection

Brander - Bad idea, isn't what we need, won't play for 3 seasons, passed on Higgins :crossmark:

Allen - Don't mind, acknowledge the talent but he isn't a midfielder so once again not what we need :heavycheck:

Ryan - over reached, big question marks on whether he will be able to handle AFL let alone provide the pressure of a "small forward" :heavymultiply:

Ainsworth - Oh cool finally a mid, bit wait for it... slow and small and reached again. No Constable, Hayden or Worpel? Seriously :heavymultiply:

Petrucelle - Sweet after just extracting absolutely nothing out of a clearly talented Lamb, we've got a raw speedy player who's inconsistent and has no set position. Speculative pick and not what we should have been doing. Where does he play exactly? Could have had Worpel, Ballard, Houlahan or Miers :heavymultiply:

Brayshaw - FINALLY we make a solid midfield selection. Big bodied, tough and talented. Play this campaigner in round 1 :heavycheck:

Misc - Passing on Banfield, Garlett and Sambono :heavymultiply:

Overall the gloss has been completely taken off what had been an exciting offseason so far. Really not feeling great about it 4/10 :crossmark:

how is ainsworth small? have you actually watched him play and no the highlights video on AFL.com.au doesnt qualify

Well it has gotten us to a GF and multiple top 4 finishes.

The fact is I, like 99% of this board, know SFA about these players.

We will see if these were the right picks in a few years time.
Great, our GF failure and multiple top 4 finishes will surely be talked about for years to come.

I don't have a problem with the players picked in isolation, but I just think we passed over superior players (or players as good as the ones we took) in positions we actually needed to bolster in order to compete in the next few years whilst Nic Nat and Kennedy are still playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2017 Trade/Draft/FA SuperMegaUltra Thread - Post Trade-Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back