List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read that Brisbane are still a chance of getting pick 2 for Rockliff compensation.... surely not!?

This compensation pick rubbish is a joke.

The pick should replace the claiming clubs pick if the original club have made an offer to the player that is deemed market value by an independent artbitrator.

If the original club does not offer the contract, no compo

Doubt it.

Colac play in the Geelong league and Cobden play in the Hampden league.
It's only recent that all of the colac junior teams play in the GFL.

Some of the junior colac teams previously played in the hampden league and the colac and district league (although the senior teams were in the GFL).

ETA: colac was previously in the hampden league

The pick should replace the claiming clubs pick if the original club have made an offer to the player that is deemed market value by an independent artbitrator.

No Compensation at all. under no circumstances.

Its an absolute joke that the draft order is set and then they just hand people picks

Or just remove the compensation as free agency is essentially a free market that balances itself out in terms of gains and losses. Top clubs will lose free agents seeking opportunities to bottom clubs who will lose players seeking faster paths to success. Happens in almost every other salary capped sport in the world.

Or just remove the compensation as free agency is essentially a free market that balances itself out in terms of gains and losses. Top clubs will lose free agents seeking opportunities to bottom clubs who will lose players seeking faster paths to success. Happens in almost every other salary capped sport in the world.
You really believe the AFL would just let a top player walk out of a top club???

It's only recent that all of the colac junior teams play in the GFL.

Some of the junior colac teams previously played in the hampden league and the colac and district league (although the senior teams were in the GFL).

ETA: colac was previously in the hampden league

Colac haven't been in the Hampden league for probably 15 years, just off the top of my head. Colac juniors play for the Geelong Falcons. Hampden juniors used to play with them too, now they play for the team previously known as the Ballarat Rebels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time I’ve listened for a while and I hear some smug cockroach say something about North needing to stay relevant. Yeah I won’t be listening to this crap. Wtf does that even mean?

Bring on the draft

The irony here being that it is a near on certainty that the person who said this is nonsense is absolutely irrelevant in the AFL and probably even in the cesspool of AFL media.

I know you would, but I think we've already established you would only take trades that other teams clearly wouldn't.

Every year we have the same debate Thewlis, you wanting our club to be bent over and I want what is fair compensation, but do you really have to respond every time I have an opinion?

but by all means hand over 4, Goldie and your first born for Stringer.

The issues run deeper than that though unfortunately. The main problem with Free Agency in the AFL as I see it is that rebuilds take so long. Look at the Saints - 5 years in, no success, and look like they might need to start over again. No player wants to join a club at the bottom when it could take half their career to get back into contention, particularly not when the salary cap means that there isn't as huge a difference between top-paid players and middle-tier players. What's an extra $150k-$200k a year (losing half of that to tax) when you could lose every week? Compare that to say the NFL, where the difference between offers can be $5m a year, and players might be prepared to lose a lot - particularly if the cycle of being on the bottom can be only 2 years. The size of the salary cap also makes it difficult for clubs to wriggle around and be creative in how they build a list, and also makes it harder to blow rivals out of the water for free agents. We came very close by offering $1.5m and it still wasn't enough. If our offer was $5m a year more than Richmond's, rather than a few hundred thousand, then it would have worked.

The result is that in theory bottom teams can use cap space to attract players, but in reality the Martins and the Kellys re-sign with their existing club for marginally less, and the North Melbournes stay on the bottom with a huge amount of free cap space.

When all is said and done, I'm still in favour of abolishing compensation, but having a distinction between how a club can treat players before and after free agency: while a player is contracted, the club owns that player, and can trade him wherever it wants whenever it wants. However, when a player finishes a contract, he can go wherever he wants, with no limits based on how long he's been at the club, whether he's in the top x% salary-wise etc. Make a contracted player contracted, and an uncontracted one uncontracted, and go from there. Simple, but like everything, the AFL prefers to complicate it with a million shades of gray.

Last edited:

Agree. The whole FA AFL system is a farce.

I just read that Brisbane are still a chance of getting pick 2 for Rockliff compensation.... surely not!?
Not a chance.

Has to be top 5% in the league to even qualify for an end of first round.

Would require being a once in a lifetime player to get pick 2 nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back