List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & Free Agency Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Menzel the guy who laid about 15 tackles for an entire season won't be coming to our club. Ryan Clarke was playing in the VFL half the season due to that and the game these days requires high pressure in the fwd 50. Geelong would be signing him up again otherwise.

Not sure how Menzel fits a need except, of course, as injury insurance. :drunk: He looked like he could have been anything before the knee reconstructions... I think I recall hearing he's had a few... but now, a limited third forward.

It makes the possible acquisition of Motlop look good, especially as a free agent.

To be fair, these type of midfielders (great users of the ball, excellent endurance runners, can hit targets on both feet,etc), are generally found in the pick 1 to 5 territory. Not the pick 10 to 15 territory. Which is what North have had the last 5 years. Sure, you can still pick a gem with a late pick, but this is reliant on luck. Unfortunately north havent been that lucky. Although, Dec Mountford might be an exception....Fingers crossed.

I am not suggesting we can get top 5 pick players outside of that range, obviously you can't. But we have an issue with the type of players we target and our ability to get them to AFL standard.

Guys with a lot of speculation like rookies we took in Fordham and Taylor are long-shots, they had some noteworthy attributes but the guys that slip a long way tend to have a lot they need to address. We have to look at why we can't develop most of our midfielders and I don't think it is solely a imitation of the player. We can't get Zeibell to stop hacking it out of the middle, what kind of instruction and development is he getting? You would think if someone wasn't doing the absolute basics, they wouldn't get a game.

I worry our standard is far too low, that prevents getting our better picks to the A grade level but it also prevents the players taken further down the order from being good B-Grade players. I am just not convinced that the system that isn't getting the most out of our better quality recruits is going to get the job done with guys that need a lot more development work.

You don't need to be a Wells to be a reliable ball user, the guys that have outstanding kicking skills are able to pinpoint passes under duress, off-balance, they are just insanely gifted. That is a luxury. We need guys that aren't going to consistently cough the ball up with uncontested passes when not under pressure, that is a standard we should be able to get any AFL footballer to execute. Our ball use this year at times was shocking and in many if not all games were probably the major reason we lost the games. We just kept giving the ball back to the opposition.

ANY player that can't execute disposals when not under pressure should not take the field in an AFL game. You are not AFL standard if you can't execute an uncontested pass. We need to have a football department that can get the majority of these guys to AFL standard.

!!Hypothetical alert!!

Out
North: 4
Geelong: Motlop
Gold Coast: Hall, Abblett

In
North: Hall, Motlop
Geelong: Abblett
Gold Coast: 4

Maybe chuck in a pick for GC or a swap

!!Hypothetical alert!!

Out

In

I've just reported you to whatever is higher than an Ombudsman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Literally the worst thing I've ever seen on the internet. Let that sink in.

You should turn off SafeSearch when it's your time on the computer.

!!Hypothetical alert!!

Out

In

I love this time of the year.......

Woweee.