Votes: 19 37.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Dimma reckons this years flag win was more special than 2017.

2017, we broke a 37 year drought when no one (even us) thought we could.

2019 we overcame adversity after early season injuries and poor form and absolutely annihilated one of the most talented teams in the league.

Thoughts?

2017 grand final day wins for me however this season as a whole has been amazing

A roller coaster ride of highs and lows that I loved every single part of

Totally different. 2017 was pure joy, 2019 really really really fun.

However, when we were crippled by injuries early in the year I said if we won the flag it would be more amazing. The dominance of this team since the bye has been incredible.

I would say they are different but equally special. For the playing group I can see how this one could be more special with the injuries, Higgins health, Pickett, blooding some young guys etc.

No doubt that the 2019 team would have beaten the 2017 team tho

2017 to break the drought and it was probably a much better game. On the replay we had the game on our terms before half time but I was on the edge of my seat until just after 3/4 time anticipating a Crows fight back.

This year we faced huge adversity and I thought it wouldn't be possible early on. Knowing how we play and that the Giants would throw their best punch at the start if they had one in them, deep down I knew we had this one 5 minutes in and the same mixture of anxiety and anticipation weren't there. I played the victory out in my head a few times well before the final siren.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019 was more enjoyable for me. 2017 was a bit of a shock because we weren’t used to our club succeeding like that.

This year we finished 3rd after losing no H&A game post-bye, with West Coast being our closest win by far. We travelled to the Gabba week 1 and comfortably beat Brisbane. We were down by over 20 points against Geelong in the PF and had to fight back to make the Grand Final. We then thumped GWS by our biggest ever margin in a Grand Final. There’s something satisfying about when you expect success and get it, because that’s how I felt this year.

We faced more adversity this year than 2017 in many ways including the injury aspect. We were missing Rance all year who was probably seen as the one we could not lose not to mention players like Nankervis, Riewoldt and Cotchin missing a lot of games.

We

Lastly, we won 12 games in a row to win the Premiership, which is equal to our biggest winning streak ever I believe.

In my opinion, the 2019 Premiership is better than the 2017 one.

For me - 2017.

2019 is coloured by the 2018 Prelim disaster. 2019 was always about 'redemption' - 'don't blow this chance' etc. Sure, we did it the hard way with injuries, but overall, the feeling is relief, rather than euphoria. I enjoyed the comeback from the mid-season, mid-table depths when it looked like we weren't even going to make finals - but once we got there, it was like 'OK, now we'd better finish the job'.

I can still look at 2018 as a 'good year, with one ****-up'. My psyche would NOT have accepted any other result than yesterday's as acceptable. Just the way I feel. My peak enjoyment of this season was the Prelim comeback.

Partially has to come down to who you beat.

Once the Crows started that Crow stance rubbish there was never going to be anything more satisfying than smashing them physically, making even their bigger blokes jump out of the way, and going on to destroy them on the scoreboard and what's more destroy their club. They have never recovered and we have never looked back. To think they were favoured to win, they themselves expected to win, thought it would be smart to stand there pre match looking like they were about to draw two pistols from their holsters, and we emerged from a 37 year slumber to smash them in every conceivable way.

Still fuming about how they enter the league with similar colours to what we wore for 100 years prior and when there was a clash we got made to wear a clash jumper.

GWS:

- gave us Townsend and Miles for next to nothing.
- took Deledio off our hands for a good price at a very opportune time.
- beat the Pies by a kick in a knockout final.
- sent Trelol to Collingwood, allowing us to get Prestia.
- hilariously sent a pile of shizen to the Blues chief amongst which was Silvagni.
- came into the comp with a properly distinct jumper that nobody could clash with, least of all us.
- sent ball waster extraordinaire Shiel to the Bombers, thank you.

As opponents in a GF go, how could you possibly dislike them?

2017 for mine.

I enjoyed one of the league's oldest and most historically significant clubs smashing the forced, corporate, manufactured expansion club that no one supports.

I'm not against expansion, but these campaigners need to wait their time before they get gifted a flag. And god we smashed them.
Our percentage over the three finals in 2017 was enormous I reckon yesterday's win would have seen our 2019 finals percentage surpass it

Different feeling.
2017 was enormous after waiting 37 years.
2019 was confirmation that we ARE the greatest.

Just need to start upgrading my screensavers!

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 vs 2019

Back