B: Miller Young Baker
HB Rioli Broad Vlastuin
C: Coulthard Prestia HRS
HF: M.Rioli Balta Bolton
F: Lefau Martin NIWL
R: Nankervis McAuliffe Sonsie
INT: Brown Ryan, Short, Smith
SUB: Pickett

I've replaced Campbell with Smith as a kid for a kid.

Naismith with Ryan as Ryan is not a kid anymore and his body is up to the rigours of AFL. Still needs more work, but he just has to play ahead of Naismith. Plus offers more as a forward also and Naismith was hardly sited the last 2 weeks.

Kmac2 for Dow as he's bigger , stronger and more attacking and better defensively than Dow. So a gain there.

Coulthard for Banks which both are at the same stage in their development.

Prestia for KMAC which means an automatic win as we have a genuine mid in and will be a great role model and support to KMAC2. Just need to hold Rosary beads that Prestia can get through the game.

Balta with Mansell as that's a massive win for our FL and Dusty and LeFau as we have been too short in the FL.

Cumberland for Grimes as we don't need that extra defender as he was doing nothing anyway, but just costing us goals . What we need is two hard running players out of the BL . Rioli is the class exit man go to player and Baker picks up the genuine small and can play tough guy on him and not a mid 10cm taller than him where he was chewed up and spat out last week. Short backs these two guys up , but will need to show some physicality this week and keep his feet as he's been terrible for a while now. A tackle would always be nice by him , but that might be asking for a bit too much.

Based on all of that i think we have an 8-10 goal better side this week and expect us to boot 13-15 goals and possibly pull out a win. Not confident still , but more hopeful that we will surpass the insipid 5 and 6 goal performances i've witnessed recently.
That is a very Defender heavy team. Smith, Short, Baker and Rioli are all defenders. Also who is NIWL?

Campbell for Green (I think this could be the one you were thinking of) is a like for like and I think that if we are going to continue with Campbell long term the old Mick Malthouse adage of not leaving the bloke in the VFL for more than 2 weeks would be worth while.

I am not too sure about Coulthard on the wing. Not sure if he has played there before.

Balta, I would want to give him an extra 2 weeks for recovery because I am not confident our staff know when any injured player is right to come back. Bring Kosi in and tell him that he is going to be the one to lead up and down the wing and provide a contest. Ryan and Lefau should know not to stand in each other's space.

Also give Prestia another 2 weeks to get his body better. I think maybe have Dusty start in the middle, Short can take over Dusty's spot in the forward line to be a defensive forward and a midfield rotation. This means that MJR and Short can be the defensive smalls with Cumberland being a more offensive styled player.

For me and my very very little faith in the our medical team I would go.

HB: Rioli Broad Vlastuin
C: Coulthard Martin Ralphsmith
HF: M.Rioli Kosi Bolton
F: Lefau Cumberland Short
Fol: Nank McAulife Sonsie
Int: Brown Ryan Green Dow
SUB: Prestia

Essentially we have Short who can start in the Forward line and work his way through the mid. If needed then he or can spend some time in the backline if there needs to be more rotation through the back line. I also want to add some speed in the contest and having to 100% rely on Bolton to do that is just not great. Also any "I go where I feel I am needed" privileges are revoked from Dusty and given to Bolton

I would put Kosi on the move outside F50 and say that he is basically owning the wings as his hunting ground. He needs to be aggressive and hard at the contest.

I would keep Dow in and just really challenge him to rise to the occasion. If he wants to be a long term member of this midfield then he needs to find a way to cement his name on the team sheet because the side can't run with TT, Hopper, Ross and Dow in the midfield.

That is a very Defender heavy team. Smith, Short, Baker and Rioli are all defenders. Also who is NIWL?

Campbell for Green (I think this could be the one you were thinking of) is a like for like and I think that if we are going to continue with Campbell long term the old Mick Malthouse adage of not leaving the bloke in the VFL for more than 2 weeks would be worth while.

I am not too sure about Coulthard on the wing. Not sure if he has played there before.

Balta, I would want to give him an extra 2 weeks for recovery because I am not confident our staff know when any injured player is right to come back. Bring Kosi in and tell him that he is going to be the one to lead up and down the wing and provide a contest. Ryan and Lefau should know not to stand in each other's space.

Also give Prestia another 2 weeks to get his body better. I think maybe have Dusty start in the middle, Short can take over Dusty's spot in the forward line to be a defensive forward and a midfield rotation. This means that MJR and Short can be the defensive smalls with Cumberland being a more offensive styled player.

For me and my very very little faith in the our medical team I would go.

HB: Rioli Broad Vlastuin
C: Coulthard Martin Ralphsmith
HF: M.Rioli Kosi Bolton
F: Lefau Cumberland Short
Fol: Nank McAulife Sonsie
Int: Brown Ryan Green Dow
SUB: Prestia

Essentially we have Short who can start in the Forward line and work his way through the mid. If needed then he or can spend some time in the backline if there needs to be more rotation through the back line. I also want to add some speed in the contest and having to 100% rely on Bolton to do that is just not great. Also any "I go where I feel I am needed" privileges are revoked from Dusty and given to Bolton

I would put Kosi on the move outside F50 and say that he is basically owning the wings as his hunting ground. He needs to be aggressive and hard at the contest.

I would keep Dow in and just really challenge him to rise to the occasion. If he wants to be a long term member of this midfield then he needs to find a way to cement his name on the team sheet because the side can't run with TT, Hopper, Ross and Dow in the midfield.
NIWL Is Cumberland
Noah in Wonder Land.
My team is actually more attacking than last weeks. The four defenders you mentioned are all faster than basically every defender dropped and can multitask where needed. The problem besides midfield bulk last week was backline exit and running power bc Short had a dirty diaper day, Baker and Rioli were moved out of the BL bc our MF and Wings were non existent.
I would love to run Prestia and Balta in the VFL, but it won’t happen.
Coulthard just has to play over Banks as Banks is slower, unable to stick or lay a proper tackle and has shown he’s way off. So Coulthard gets rewarded for good vfl form . Dow should never play again as for someone on a an AFL list to be so tiny after five years it’s an indictment to our S/C fitness crew and himself. Too many deficiencies in his game and the only hurt factor he has is hurting the team by being in it.
Green I would’ve had, but he stunk it up last week and Smith can be also tried on the Wing or HBL. I’m sure he couldn’t be as bad as what Campbell has dished up for six weeks.
Kosi can GAGF are the only words I have for him as it’s an embarrassment that we have come to having players as poor as this on our list. LeFau has ended any career he thought he may have had with us . We need to cut our losses on these types as they make us look like an unprofessional football club.
Anyhow I think the way it’ll turn out is that the team selected by the MC will be the usual safer option and more closer to yours . I can see JGTI walking straight into the side as well as they love him.

Last edited:

Anyhow I think the way it’ll turn out is that the team selected by the MC will be the usual safer option and more closer to yours . I can see JGTI walking straight into the side as well as they love him.
The irony of course being that the side the MC select with Graham and a massively underdone Prestia is far less safe than the one that you've selected.

As you said, they love Graham so unfortunately he'll be straight back in doing what he doesn't do that well anymore, along with Prestia and Balta who both should be having a week or two in the VFL.

People who are "pLaY aLl Da KiDz * U kMaC" only want to see the upside without any potential downside. They want to see McAuliffe have 18 nice touches, Cumberland kick 3, Tresize with 8 intercepts and Smith to have 9 Rebound 50s. The reality is we'll get 1 of those games for every 18 beltings we cop, at which point those same supporters will still be sinking the boots into the players, the coach or both.
That's the brutal reality of rebuilding a youngish side...

Mansell puts in effort every game, cumbo makes a mistake and its
Sad Baby GIF

As his opponent runs off with the ball
Have you watched the VFL this year. Mansell puts in effort and produces very little offensively, Cumberland puts in effort and it often results in a goal. Jack and Richo threw tantrums every week.

There's more chance of us winning the flag than Prestia (or anyone else who played in a premiership) coming back through the VFL.

Hence why he'll last one or two games.
We're too stubborn to either drop premiership players or go about preparing them for the long haul the right way.
If Richo can play Twos, or as Buckley at Williamstown did, so can Prestia or any other Tigers payers who is underdone.

how's lloyd picking the crap out of miller

first season allowed to settle in bl and learning the craft but nooo lets dog him
That’s Lloyd’s MO. We get smashed in the midfield all day then the game opens up in the last quarter and Freo are transitioning with no pressure and hitting targets at will and what does Lloyd see, a couple of efforts from Miller when he was caught out of position. Most knowledgeable commentators would cut Miller some slack. Lloyd sees the opportunity to put the boots in. Commentates like he played. Slimy flog.

That’s Lloyd’s MO. We get smashed in the midfield all day then the game opens up in the last quarter and Freo are transitioning with no pressure and hitting targets at will and what does Lloyd see, a couple of efforts from Miller when he was caught out of position. Most knowledgeable commentators would cut Miller some slack. Lloyd sees the opportunity to put the boots in. Commentates like he played. Slimy flog.
100%. Hated Lloyd as a player and wouldn't swap him for Lefau....
Didn't mind Lucas, might swap him for Lefau... not really.

Hence why he'll last one or two games.
We're too stubborn to either drop premiership players or go about preparing them for the long haul the right way.
If Richo can play Twos, or as Buckley at Williamstown did, so can Prestia or any other Tigers payers who is underdone.
Using the VFL more for senior players should happen but it doesn't. Thinking on how well the VFL is going I'd rather Prestia flies/fails in the AFL team.
He's probs an injury away from retirement you'd think

Going off the VFL report Samson, Coulthard and the enigma Cumberland are most likely to get a call up this week. I'd like to see all 3 come in.

Matthew Coulthard (18 disposals, nine marks, three inside-50s, one goal)

“I thought he had a really good game once again. His work rate is just outstanding, and there's great evidence to suggest that despite an interrupted preparation, he can still perform at a really high level.”

Samson Ryan (14 disposals, 12 contested possessions, five marks, seven clearances, 25 hit-outs, two goals)

“It was a big challenge for Samson coming up against one of the in-form ruckmen of the competition, and I thought it was a fantastic battle. he was able to hit the scoreboard and compete really well in the air in another good performance.”

Noah Cumberland (14 disposals, seven contested possessions, six marks, four inside-50s, six tackles, one goal)

“Noah could have absolutely torn the game to shreds. He had seven shots on goal and pleasingly had a game-high six tackles. If he can make more of his opportunities in front of goals, he is clearly the best player on the ground.”

Reckon we are a big chance to win this week. A couple of good inclusions in the side plus if the Doggies players want Bevo gone, if they lose this weekend they might just have their wish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using the VFL more for senior players should happen but it doesn't. Thinking on how well the VFL is going I'd rather Prestia flies/fails in the AFL team.
He's probs an injury away from retirement you'd think

Undoubtedly.
One injury setback away from the end.
Either way - injury or not - this year should and likely will be the end.

We desperately need a fit Prestia to help out the kids in the midfield but he has to get managed minutes in the VFL for a couple of weeks surely, its just too risky.

I would love to see the below team this week,

Lefau Ryan Cumbo
Baker Balta MJR
Ralph Dusty DRioli
Vlas Miller Short
Broad Young Brown
Nank Sons Shai

Grimes Green Dow Coulthard
Sub: Pickett

We desperately need a fit Prestia to help out the kids in the midfield but he has to get managed minutes in the VFL for a couple of weeks surely, its just too risky.

Lefau Ryan Cumbo
Baker Balta MJR
Ralph Dusty DRioli
Vlas Miller Short
Broad Young Brown
Nank Sons Shai

You can't play Green, he's done nothing. If Yze wants to reward form, Cumberland has done more, simple as that.

Half of them injury retirements.

Sadly our 30 year olds play like 50 year olds. Seem to hit the wall quickly, a la Dusty this year. Jack R last year.

If Prestia, can stay injury free the rest of the year he probs gets another year. Be interesting to see Lynch play again. If he copped another injury he might retire.

See how the team plays with the best available on the field.

There might be more trading out this year. Baker, Graham, Broad etc.

Seems like Yze is brave enough to have KMac SUB, surely thats a sign he's been by passed.

Grimes a candidate for sure.

Martin is involved in 33% of Richmond’s scores. This places him 4th in the competition in that stat. I agree he’s not playing great footy, but maybe we judge a guy playing half forward when his team isn’t half strength?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Martin is involved in 33% of Richmond’s scores. This places him 4th in the competition in that stat. I agree he’s not playing great footy, but maybe we judge a guy playing half forward when his team isn’t half strength?

I honestly can't believe the people who are calling for him to retire now. Actually maybe I can.

I hope he plays on next year.

So without Pickett, who would you have played and what changes would you prefer to see? Essentially looking at the list in its current shape.

If McAulife is the answer then we are just throwing the kid to the wolves. Very High risk High reward type deal as he gets experience a lot earlier but you could also start to entrench bad habits without any leaders or you end up just ruining him as he starts to lose faith in his abilities.

Cumberland hasn't had a good run in the 2's the last few weeks but he could come into the side to move Dusty up to play 60% game time through the Middle. It could work as we get to move a very experienced Martin into the guts where the most experienced permanent mid there is Dow.

I know Yze doesnt want to "Look to the past" but maybe whilst Meehan is running around with a crowbar, we could bring in a Smith (who has been going nicely in the HB) or a Trezis to take over the Short role and inject him into the midfield. Hell he could do rotations with Dan in the midfield to get some extra speed around the contest when Shai has to rest forward.

I get that Pickett and McIntosh are spuds that no one wants picked at the moment but we do need to try and keep some experience in the side for just a pure learning point of view.

As I have said constantly this year, I am really really impressed by the way our kids are putting in the effort. I would hazard a guess that Clarkson watches our games and wishes the extremely talented QUOTE]

If you think the likes of Pickett, Macca or Grimes are helping our team in any capacity the last 18-months then you haven’t been watching.

This season, there are 401 players to have played 5+ games. Grimes is ranked 394th and McIntosh 391st. Pickett is 260th.

I’ve been calling for Macca’s spot for a year. Keep getting told he’s defending space and blah blah blah. Guess what… Hugo takes his spot with Macca sub. Hugo plays his best game and follows up with another serviceable game playing on the wing!! A spot he could get access to as we refused to drop Pickett or Macca for 18-months when they deserved to be.

I’m not saying the team benefited greatly one way or the other from Hugo playing over Macca … but Hugo has gone from a definite delisting and whipping boy to a player most of us now see as worth persevering with … and he’s 22yo!!

For this reason Grimes should make way for Tresize or Bauer if they are fit. It may not help us a great deal on field for the remainder of 2024 (but it won’t really hurt us the way Grimes has been playing). But Tresize entering 2025 with an extra 10 senior games under his belt will be hugely beneficial.

This won’t happen given the esteem Grimes is held in, but hopefully these are the types of decisions that fall the way of the youth post-bye.

And before anyone says it’s throwing kids to the wolves …. Even if Grimes, Macca and Pickett were all playing VFL, the senior team would still include (of course there’d be a few missing through injury each week):

Short
Martin
Vlastuin
D Rioli
Baker
Broad
Bolton
Nank
TT
Hopper
Prestia
Graham
Lynch
Balta
Miller

That’s more than enough senior experience to support ‘the kids’.

Pickett, Grimes and Macca aren’t helping us on field … we need to use them sparingly from now on, and if we get soldiers back preferably not at all post-bye.

Lefau Ryan Cumbo
Baker Balta MJR
Ralph Dusty DRioli
Vlas Miller Short
Broad Young Brown
Nank Sons Shai

Why is your team upside down? Ryan fullback lol 😂
That team in that arrangement would probably perform better than its natural way. 😜.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Fremantle & Changes for R9 vs Bulldogs

Back