List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending on any leadership changes Sidebottom could become trade-able if Stephenson comes on quick. Personally I think he'd be worth keeping over a young KPF who would take time to develop but he's our best 'trade bait'.

Yeah I'm a fan of Rusty so I'm not keen on trading him out.

The club and coaches love him too, so I can't see it happening.

If we were going to do it though, this would be the time as he's 26 and at his peak.

There's a lot of water to go under the bridge obviously and players that are jets at 16/17 can drop off the map by 18. But if things stayed as they were and we could access, say, pick 2 (putting aside what such a trade would actually be) then we could possibly land Lukosius, or if he goes before say Rozee or Rankine, you could land one of the King twins.

All that being said, I have a funny feeling Lukosius will end up the number 1 pick next year and will end up at a minnow like North or GCS.

Fas will need to be traded, hopefully for a second rounder. Not sure we have players with much currency that we can afford to offload.

Would Langdon get us anything? Aish? Greenwood? Phillips? Maybe Smith to QLD? Thomas? Even if we can get some 3rd round picks in for those above would be a bonus.

2018 form will answer a lot of those questions.

Fas is a RFA at the end of 2018 so not sure about our capacity to trade, might attract 1/2 decent compo.

I think next year's draft depends on if we get Lynch, and how much we have to pay for him.

Scenario 1:
If we try and get Lynch through FA, GCS match our bid and force us to trade. We would probably have to pay our 2018 first round pick, 2019 first round pick and probably a bit more. Not having a second round pick next year doesn't help either.

Assuming Quaynor and Kelly get a bid within the top 30(looks likely), we probably would need to go into negative for the year 2019. Unless, we manage to trade out some decent talent next year, i.e. Fasolo, Elliot, Sidebottom or Schaz/Langdon(if they have good years).

Can we go into negative even after trading out first pick in 2019?

Scenario 2:
If we get Lynch through FA, GCS don't match our bid. Our bid is probably going to be at least around the $1 million mark, and they would have the money to match it. That would give GCS a compensation pick subsequent to their first pick. Eg: GCS finish last, they end up with pick 1 and pick 2. This would obviously best case scenario for us.

We probably still need to trade out a player to have enough points in case Kelly or Quaynor get a bid before our first pick.

We just need to hope that Kelly or Quaynor don't get a very early bid.

Scenario 3(Dangerfield scenario):
Collingwood and GCS do an amicable trade. Collingwood only lose 2018 first rounder, Oxley and Josh Smith for Tom Lynch as repayment for getting reamed on the Witts deal. I'm only kidding. I classify this "amicable" trade scenario very very unlikely, especially with GWS recruitment manager, Craig Cameron, going to the Suns as he's used to bending Collingwood over the table.

If Lynch comes to Collingwood and if we believe that GCS will match, we should probably ask our Academy players to not play to their full extent.

I think next year's draft depends on if we get Lynch, and how much we have to pay for him.

Scenario 1:
If we try and get Lynch through FA, GCS match our bid and force us to trade. We would probably have to pay our 2018 first round pick, 2019 first round pick and probably a bit more. Not having a second round pick next year doesn't help either.

Assuming Quaynor and Kelly get a bid within the top 30(looks likely), we probably would need to go into negative for the year 2019. Unless, we manage to trade out some decent talent next year, i.e. Fasolo, Elliot, Sidebottom or Schaz/Langdon(if they have good years).

Can we go into negative even after trading out first pick in 2019?

Scenario 2:
If we get Lynch through FA, GCS don't match our bid. Our bid is probably going to be at least around the $1 million mark, and they would have the money to match it. That would give GCS a compensation pick subsequent to their first pick. Eg: GCS finish last, they end up with pick 1 and pick 2. This would obviously best case scenario for us.

We probably still need to trade out a player to have enough points in case Kelly or Quaynor get a bid before our first pick.

We just need to hope that Kelly or Quaynor don't get a very early bid.

Scenario 3(Dangerfield scenario):
Collingwood and GCS do an amicable trade. Collingwood only lose 2018 first rounder, Oxley and Josh Smith for Tom Lynch as repayment for getting reamed on the Witts deal. I'm only kidding. I classify this "amicable" trade scenario very very unlikely, especially with GWS recruitment manager, Craig Cameron, going to the Suns as he's used to bending Collingwood over the table.

If Lynch comes to Collingwood and if we believe that GCS will match, we should probably ask our Academy players to not play to their full extent.

Would very much depend where the bids come. We currently have 2x 3rd round picks and a 4th round pick in terms of points. You'd think the 3rd rounders would offset a bid in the mid 2nd round on.

Would very much depend where the bids come. We currently have 2x 3rd round picks and a 4th round pick in terms of points. You'd think the 3rd rounders would offset a bid in the mid 2nd round on.
Or we get Lynch FA, GC get comp.
We get their 40th best player and pay massive overs. And trade 1/2 players to them and pay their salary at GC.
We get Lynch, they get massive AFL comp, get best 22 player/s and free up large amount of salary to go shopping/trading picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched his highlights for the first time. Christ almighty.
Honestly if GC finish last next year they’d seriously consider letting Lynch walk as a FA without a fight. Picking up Rankine and Lukosious together would be insane.

Honestly if GC finish last next year they’d seriously consider letting Lynch walk as a FA without a fight. Picking up Rankine and Lukosious together would be insane.

I'm starting to agree. If we finish in the same positions next year I daresay with this draft they'd prefer 2 & 3 over 2, 6 and a player. Even if the player was of Sidebottom calibre. That said, they so have the Eagles' pick and they could easily be bottom 5.

I'd seen some Lukosious highlights you posted somewhere a month of two ago but the way Rankine moves, it's like no one else I can remember seeing. You could say... a faster, more powerful Andrew Krakouer haha.

If Suns match its going to make it very hard to get Quaynor. Would probably have to trade Fas or go into deficit in 2019 as he is looking a potential top 10 pick.

I'm starting to agree. If we finish in the same positions next year I daresay with this draft they'd prefer 2 & 3 over 2, 6 and a player. Even if the player was of Sidebottom calibre. That said, they so have the Eagles' pick and they could easily be bottom 5.

I'd seen some Lukosious highlights you posted somewhere a month of two ago but the way Rankine moves, it's like no one else I can remember seeing. You could say... a faster, more powerful Andrew Krakouer haha.
I’d say Rankine is more a cross between a McLeod and Rioli. He’s going to be special. Though would hate to see him not reach his heights ala Jack Martin.

How does the Issac Quaynor senario work, do we have first access?
As far as I know it's the same as the NSW and QLD academies. If someone bids on a player on draft night, we can choose to match or pass.

Similar to the F/S with Daicos, Brown etc. but I'd expect we wouldn't be given any form of discount.

They'd want to keep pick 1 for finishing bottom then two more top ten picks from us. I reckon a one two punch would appeal though. We might want to pay slight overs in some other trade, or take unders, to balance the ledger.

They'd want to keep pick 1 for finishing bottom then two more top ten picks from us. I reckon a one two punch would appeal though. We might want to pay slight overs in some other trade, or take unders, to balance the ledger.
Not sure if you’ve seen much of Rankine and Lukosious, but the opportunity to get both those two would be far more tempting than just one and a couple of others imo. Both are flat out special. Knightmare has been saying he’d give up our 2018 and 2019 picks to secure Lukosious alone iirc.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back