List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep it's currently showing on the indicative draft order on the AFL website as well.

One thing I do know is that the FA compo formula is based on guaranteed money - perhaps White had a heavily incentive-based contract (although I doubt that was the issue) and that was a factor?

It was a long time ago and my memory is a little foggy, but I think I recall some discussion about the AFL also looking at the compensation formula after 2013 when Hawthorn got screwed hard with just pick 18 for losing the best player in the game? It seems that clubs are getting far more generous compensation now than they were 5 years ago that's for sure.

Ok good. So we should be able to expect at least an end of 3rd round for Fas allowing for Conca maybe getting a few extra dollars.

I think the Hawks just happened to get the pick after their first which just so happened to be 19. If they had of finished last, they would have also received pick 2.

Ok good. So we should be able to expect at least an end of 3rd round for Fas allowing for Conca maybe getting a few extra dollars.

I think the Hawks just happened to get the pick after their first which just so happened to be 19. If they had of finished last, they would have also received pick 2.

Yeah I'd be hoping that would be the case, so we'd be looking at something around an FA compo of pick 57-58 or thereabouts by the time the other FA compo picks are assigned for Lynch (cancels out Conca compo), Dahlhaus (already assigned), Lycett, and maybe Roughead (although that might cancel out West Coast's compo pick for Lycett).

I can't see anyone else who'd warrant FA compo switching clubs this year, so that extra 170-odd points would come in handy in terms of reducing the points deficit for next year a little if we match bids on Quaynor and Kelly - I'm still holding out against hope that bids wont come for them around before pick 25 and 35 mark respectively, but even in that situation we'll still be 280-odd points in deficit for next year, unless we can somehow trade in another third round pick somehow this year.

As an aside the issue with the Hawks was that there was no real "discretion" applied at the time and compo just followed a largely fixed formula - the panel can now adjust compo if they determine that what would normally given under the compo formula is "materially anomalous" (aka silly) when taking into consideration the player and contract they have signed and I'm sure they would do so if a move like Buddy's ever happened again for a massive contract over a long term.

Unfortunately I don't feel very excited for this draft mainly due to the fact we will have no live picks in it.

I'll still hoping we'll have pick 18 as a live pick, one way or another.

Our last pick 18 worked out to be reasonably ok-ish player if I recall correctly, so here's hoping we can do a similar job this year in a draft with a pretty good top 20-30 prospects.

Unfortunately I don't feel very excited for this draft mainly due to the fact we will have no live picks in it.
Never know, theres always pick 18, and someone might get also sucked into the Quaynor hype and bid way too early

After the first 8 picks (Blakey as father son included in that) this draft is WIDE open.

Flattens out and through to around the mid 20s there is a whole group that could go in any order and it wouldn't be a surprise.

Collier-Dawkins has been tried forward for Oakleigh but I've found he's been quiet everywhere other than playing on the ball. That's where he goes to work and can take over games.

Anywhere else, he struggles to get his hands on the ball or influence games.

Plausible rookie interest, though haven't heard.

Marty Hore is the one I'd take from the clubs VFL list if there as a rookie.

O'Halloran has the speed and is a high character guy. He's not inside my top 20, so he isn't one I'd take with the pick. He increasingly reminds me of Richmond's Connor Menadue, perhaps with better ball winning capabilities. A talent, but just not a consistent or powerful enough ball winner to have the confidence in picking him so early.

It all depends on who is there at the end of the day. Duursma I'm a fan of and would be my first preference with the pick - might be the best leader in the draft and is a genuine inside/outside mid who has the all-around game - skills/pace/ball winning/intercepting and I flat out loved his finals series and the leaderhsip and character he showed in those games. Sam Sturt I really like as a medium forward with a lot of Will Hayward/Daniel Menzel. Jye Caldwell if he slips I'm open to considering as an explosive mid. All those guys I'd take ahead of Collier-Dawkins, though I'd be satisfied with Collier-Dawkins conditional on being used exclusively as an onballer.

If those guys aren't there, I'd go with Noah Gown as a KPP. He's one where if Collingwood had a second round pick that was usable, I'd love to have him. He can outside of Lukosius and the King boys be that next best KPP in the draft. He reminds me of Tom McDonald and has some James Sicily/Jeremy McGovern. He's been the best key forward late season in the junior ranks and as a key defender with the way he reads it, attacks the ball aerially and uses his body in the contest. He's one I'd be tempted on draft day to trade for.
Possible Gown slides into the third round or late in the draft, though he's that one I'd really prioritise in this draft. He's this years underrated KPP and with the way he improved late season and dominated with 21 goals and 19 contested marks from his last seven games and one of the bests in each of his last 10, he's one I'd even use that first round pick on if I needed to.

All these guys are for mine decisively better than Quaynor or Kelly. It's bizarre hearing Quaynor's name come up ahead of a lot of these guys. He isn't talented/dominant/influential like any of those guys.
Done little bit of research and I am sold on Gown. How do we make it happen.

Yeah I'd be hoping that would be the case, so we'd be looking at something around an FA compo of pick 57-58 or thereabouts by the time the other FA compo picks are assigned for Lynch (cancels out Conca compo), Dahlhaus (already assigned), Lycett, and maybe Roughead (although that might cancel out West Coast's compo pick for Lycett).

I can't see anyone else who'd warrant FA compo switching clubs this year, so that extra 170-odd points would come in handy in terms of reducing the points deficit for next year a little if we match bids on Quaynor and Kelly - I'm still holding out against hope that bids wont come for them around before pick 25 and 35 mark respectively, but even in that situation we'll still be 280-odd points in deficit for next year, unless we can somehow trade in another third round pick somehow this year.

As an aside the issue with the Hawks was that there was no real "discretion" applied at the time and compo just followed a largely fixed formula - the panel can now adjust compo if they determine that what would normally given under the compo formula is "materially anomalous" (aka silly) when taking into consideration the player and contract they have signed and I'm sure they would do so if a move like Buddy's ever happened again for a massive contract over a long term.
I personally think free agency compo should be credited and debited over the years with clubs having the ability to choose when they take any compo points they've banked and get themselves a compo pick. I think it's silly that a team like Richmond could gain Lynch for free this year, yet get a draft pick if they lose someone to free agency next year. Overall, that'd make them massive winners from the free agency situation. Hawthorn took a massive hit through free agency with Buddy, but they had a reasonable gain in Frawley.

I have a hunch KM doesn’t rate Quaynor.
Really, l would never have guessed, but he has been wrong about players, so l am not worried.

Done little bit of research and I am sold on Gown. How do we make it happen.

I'm still gaining a feel for his rough range.

Gaining only a state combine it's possible he goes later, but my sense is he goes somewhere around the second round as an early estimate.

With draft day trades, Collingwood's best option may be to trade for him on draft day in some kind of pick exchange if he doesn't fall into the latter part of the draft.

Did the AFL say that Richmond would have received an end of second round pick for Conca if they had not picked up Lynch?

If so that’s huge.

They lost White to Port as a 26 yr old on a 3 yr $1m deal 4 or 5 years ago and got nothing for it. I thought this may have more closely resembled the Fas position.

Lynch deal would need to be finalised before it impacts the Conca deal. Hopefully GCS match and the Tigas need to get the deal done via trade.

Yep it's currently showing on the indicative draft order on the AFL website as well.

One thing I do know is that the FA compo formula is based on guaranteed money - perhaps White had a heavily incentive-based contract (although I doubt that was the issue) and that was a factor?

It was a long time ago and my memory is a little foggy, but I think I recall some discussion about the AFL also looking at the compensation formula after 2013 when Hawthorn got screwed hard with just pick 18 for losing the best player in the game? It seems that clubs are getting far more generous compensation now than they were 5 years ago that's for sure.

I think the AFL now has the discretion to nominate specific draft picks in situations like a Franklin trade occurring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like us to take a small pressure forward with one of our later picks/rookie. Feel like we need someone who can tackle and bob up with a few goals here and there, developing in the 2’s.

Would like us to take a small pressure forward with one of our later picks/rookie. Feel like we need someone who can tackle and bob up with a few goals here and there, developing in the 2’s.

Would the be the Atu Kids be. A Small Forward that Tackles and Can Bob up and kick a Goal or 2

Attu?
Ps too late beaten by dt

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back