2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, not having a go, but you keep on about going too early on Ely Smith. What were we supposed to do? Our pick was where it was. He was the player we wanted. We did not have a pick 5 spots later. We went with who we rated highest at our pick. We also wanted Tom Berry with our next pick. Again, what else were we supposed to do?
Well said; you’re 100% spot on.

Again, not having a go, but you keep on about going too early on Ely Smith. What were we supposed to do? Our pick was where it was. He was the player we wanted. We did not have a pick 5 spots later. We went with who we rated highest at our pick. We also wanted Tom Berry with our next pick. Again, what else were we supposed to do?

Spot on mate, word is we picked 5 players that we rated in our top 35 players in the draft. Outstanding effort in my opinion. All 5 players if fully fit look AFL ready to play in a variety of positions. Smith is a man child with an attitude to go with it......look out for the quiet focused types. Nigel Lappin was like that.

Onto the important things of draft day...the nicknames:

Ely Smith - umm just Ely, he looks like he don’t approve of nicknames.
Tom Berry - Berry Junior or Beju for short.
Thomas Joyce - umm...Joycy, TJ, The Joycinator??
Connor McFadyen - the Fad, Fadtastic
Noah Answerth - The Ark?

Help! I’m out.

So rapt to get Berry jnr....loved his big brother and the other boys reaction, priceless. Definately a tight bunch.

edit: have just seen the bit about his uncle on the "welcome Ely" thread.....so have deleted the bit on Joel in this post.

Last edited:
Onto the important things of draft day...the nicknames:

Ely Smith - umm just Ely, he looks like he don’t approve of nicknames.
Tom Berry - Berry Junior or Beju for short.
Thomas Joyce - umm...Joycy, TJ, The Joycinator??
Connor McFadyen - the Fad, Fadtastic
Noah Answerth - The Ark?

Help! I’m out.

Tom Joyce: Barnaby

Meh, he's still a boy, hasn't even started putting on muscle yet. Once he hits the weight room he'll make Mick Conlan look like Bob Murphy.
Mature bodies players usually develop at a steady pace. Daniel Rich was big in his draft year, came in and impacted from the get go then only really gradually improved from there.

Olly Wines is probably the exception that I can think of to this.

I remember Luke Parker sliding as people were worried he was a bit of a man child. Turned out alright for Sydney...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Luke Parker sliding as people were worried he was a bit of a man child. Turned out alright for Sydney...

The idea of not taking a big bodied teen on the presumption that he might not have the physical development / progression in him that a scrawny kid does is a little bizarre for mine. The only thing you can really take to the bank is that players won't get any shorter. That's pretty much it lol.

One of the best things about our picks is that we have met the inside mid need but none of them are what you would call slow. Perhaps McFadyen is the slowest but then he could easily make it as a small marking forward. And a guy like Answerth could easily fill a spot in defence.

McFayden may not be lightning quick but he also isn't slow and he has elite agility which can help create separation time and space. Also he can play as marking forward,, but at 190cm he is border line key position size.

I lost track - did the kid who whined about leaving home get drafted to the club he wanted and if not did anyone record his tantrum. That'd be real nice to watch over a Friday night scotch.

Bailey Smith was drafted to the Bulldogs. Not exactly the top end of town though. Expect a trade request to an inner city club within the next year.

Edit: So no tanty, but still, enjoy your scotch.

W
At least we didn't draft Atu Bosenavulagi....
We got a Smith and Jones. Oops sorry that's Joyce.
Can't get any more Anglo than that.

But I'm impressed you got it right. Now try Answerth.

W

We got a Smith and Jones. Oops sorry that's Joyce.
Can't get any more Anglo than that.

But I'm impressed you got it right. Now try Answerth.
Answerth certainly unusual, daresay he will be referred to as Ainsworth once or twice

Copy and paste was my friend for Bosenavulagi!

[QUOTE="Dylan12, post: 58918600, member:
I would’ve loved Coleman based on a recent article I read and given we have no rookie spots, hopefully he is selected as a one of the six top agers we can keep in the NEAFL for next year.

All up, I’m really stoked with what our club accomplished; looking forward to hearing why tonight and meeting a couple of you lads if I know who you are.[/QUOTE
I hope we keep young coleman on the neafl list as well. I guess if we have any long term/season ending injuries he is still a chance of a shot in the mid season draft. Is that right? And if he sticks to his guns, works hard and shows good improvement theres a no reason he cant get picked up in a year or two.

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back