List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA (Pt. 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree RE McHenry - the only similarity is that they weigh less than 75kg and both can play forward of the ball

McHenry - vocal, extrovert, leader that adds a new dynamic to the group, pressure player, tackle machine, already has AFL level fitness, can play outside mid and forward, weighs the same as Powell except he is 10cm shorter so not all skin and bone, already has enough strength to play AFL next season

Powell - sublime skills, higher upside, but overly skinny and will take longer to develop
You're not wrong, McHenry is a 2nd round talent who will play AFL, I just don't see him at the Suns. I have given the Kossie 2.0 option a lot of thought because he's probably the best KPD in the Draft and no longer tied to GWS. If I apply the same "Moneyball" approach to Ned, we have Darcy MacPherson already playing the role and you generally only want 1 guy in the 22 doing it. Miller and Ainsworth have played forward in a similar role and I suspect we'll be seeing a bit more of them rotating through the midfield, going forward in tandem to allow bigger bodies more midfield time and also provide fresh legs later in games when the midfield battles are there to be won. Then there is the possibility of Rankine being selected, which Knightmare has also gone with, and I just don't see that happening.

All up, there are currently 9 players out of 41 who are below 6 foot. There are 12 guys under 80kg, which I would hope looks more like 6 or 8 come March. I'm thinking the 4th and 5th picks go on midfielders with a bit of size to eventually replace Horlin-Smith, Miles and Young. I don't agree that O'Halloran goes to West Coast because someone will put a bid on Jarrod Cameron at #22. Knightmare's 2nd round is too cute. Suns looking at Ely Smith, Fraser Turner, Xavier O'Halloran and possibly Jez McLennan if he slips that far (Knightmare has him going to the Lions due to the QLD family connection, but previously he had Connor McFadyen in the first round all year).

Because you can do better and so can the Suns. Port traded up to #6 with points to the value of the #1 pick. The Suns traded May and Kolodjashnij for it. Stop lowballing and come up with a trade that is in that ballpark. Until then, Port and GWS have simply got better offers.
Wait - didn't YOU suggest 6 and 29 for 9 and 19?

All I did was suggest 8 and 21 instead of 9 and 19. I thought you may like that more.

Do we know which he prefers?
Id probably prefer Ainsworth into the midfield than Martin.
Much prefer Martin inside F50
What does your Forward line look like?
Sexton, Wright, Martin
Corbett, Day, MacPherson

With the 6-6-6 rule change at Centre Bounces, you want a guy like Ainsworth for his short burst pace, tackle breaking ability and distribution by foot coming out of the middle servicing guys like Sexton and Martin who are the best I50/Goal Assist providers in the side. Given Ainsworth hasn't been much more than a 3 quarter player, resting him forward would be logical and having him come off the bench would keep him fresher for longer each quarter.

All I did was suggest 8 and 21 instead of 9 and 19. I thought you may like that more.
9-6 = 3, 8-6= 2
29-19= 10 , 29-21= 8
:think:

Very close , umm GWS the winner .
Reason : Hately at 9 is over (10-15 range ) , but don't mind Adelaide using pick 8 on him .

Last edited:

That door has closed! Wanna see what's behind door number 2?

I like this mock draft a lot!
My criticisms are that they didn't know Geelong has to pick in the first round and they sold the Suns short on their trade. Turned out that they made a trade between the Cats and Lions, incidentally keeping within the rules, but it was a big miss.

Having the Suns give up on Rozee to take a crappy deal with Adelaide is just like the continual rubbish offers posted here every day.
#6 and #24 for #8 and #16 just benefits the Crows too much.
Make it #6 and #29 for #8 and #16 and it starts to look more realistic,
or #6 and #24 for #8 and #13 would be even better.
#6, #24 and #29 for #8, #16 and #21 gets the Suns what fans want = Caldwell, McLennan and O'Halloran

I've said all along that Port and the Crows have the best deals available for the Suns, although GWS have the overall picks to really make things interesting.

Last edited:
I like this mock draft a lot!
My criticisms are that they didn't know Geelong has to pick in the first round and they sold the Suns short on their trade. Turned out that they made a trade between the Cats and Lions, incidentally keeping within the rules, but it was a big miss.

Having the Suns give up on Rozee to take a crappy deal with Adelaide is just like the continual rubbish offers posted here every day.
#6 and #24 for #8 and #16 just benefits the Crows too much.
Make it #6 and #29 for #8 and #16 and it starts to look more realistic,
or #6 and #24 for #8 and #13 would be even better.
#6, #24 and #29 for #8, #16 and #21 gets the Suns what fans want = Caldwell, McLennan and O'Halloran

I've said all along that Port and the Crows have the best deals available for the Suns, although GWS have the overall picks to really make things interesting.
Agree pick 8 and 16 for 6 and 24 is shit deal . They try to do too much live trade in the podcast .

Last edited:
* Warning if you don't want to died laughing please don't read play like .

What does your Forward line look like?
Sexton, Wright, Martin
Corbett, Day, MacPherson

With the 6-6-6 rule change at Centre Bounces, you want a guy like Ainsworth for his short burst pace, tackle breaking ability and distribution by foot coming out of the middle servicing guys like Sexton and Martin who are the best I50/Goal Assist providers in the side. Given Ainsworth hasn't been much more than a 3 quarter player, resting him forward would be logical and having him come off the bench would keep him fresher for longer each quarter.

B. Harbrow Thompson Rozee
HB. Hanley Collins Miller
C . Weller Swallow Bowes
HF. Martin Corbett Ainsworth
FF Rankine wright sexton

R. Witts fiorini brodie

Inter - lukosius Miles ballard Holman

Im not rating Day.
I expect him to be pushed out by the new guys on the block.
More athletic better marks more versatile

Agree pick 8 and 16 for 6 and 24 is shit deal . They try to do too much live trade in the podcast .
Agree on both points, but I liked the bidding and trading aspect because it shows how bids affect the picking order. 1st round bids on Blakey, Thomas, Quaynor, West and Briggs knocks our 5th pick into the mid 30s and the rubbish deal for #8 and #16 ended up being #7 and #29 for #10 and #21.

I think the Lystics guys will be quite happy with how things turned out, although throughout the podcast they were acknowledging that they didn't really expect things to turn out the way they were playing it. Their first 5 picks were pretty much what the latest mocks are saying, then they got cute with the Suns bidding for Blakey, which would actually be awesome if the Swans passed on matching - Forward line of Lukosius, Rankine and Blakey! - but then the draft fell to pieces with unlikely bids and convenient trades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not rating Day.
I expect him to be pushed out by the new guys on the block.
More athletic better marks more versatile
Interesting squad. You've gone for only 6 talls where 7 would be my choice, but I could live with a similar forward line. Rankine will surpass MacPherson at some point, although I'm sure they'll both be given the chance to form a combination. Wright is the first forward you'd pick, but is he your back up ruckman? IMO his forward play suffers when he has to chop out in the ruck, so Day comes in a 2nd tall forward and chop out ruckman, which Crossley could step up for in case of injury. Lukosius will start too, but that's why I like the Corbett pick because he provides a 3rd tall target, although Luko and Ballard can both play on the wing as well as forward or back. Sexton and Martin would be the first I'd choose, although the new rules might make them wingmen and high half forwards in rotation with Bowes, Ballard and Weller, which again opens the scope for 3 tall forwards.

Hard to fit them all in and I reckon there will be plenty of combinations trialled, including Martin at Full Forward, Ballard in a Fyfe-type role, Witts spending less time in the ruck and a lot of selection headaches in the backline.

Agree on both points, but I liked the bidding and trading aspect because it shows how bids affect the picking order. 1st round bids on Blakey, Thomas, Quaynor, West and Briggs knocks our 5th pick into the mid 30s and the rubbish deal for #8 and #16 ended up being #7 and #29 for #10 and #21.

I think the Lystics guys will be quite happy with how things turned out, although throughout the podcast they were acknowledging that they didn't really expect things to turn out the way they were playing it. Their first 5 picks were pretty much what the latest mocks are saying, then they got cute with the Suns bidding for Blakey, which would actually be awesome if the Swans passed on matching - Forward line of Lukosius, Rankine and Blakey! - but then the draft fell to pieces with unlikely bids and convenient trades.
I think GC will hold on to pick 2,3 and see who is available at 6 . I won't be surprised GC pick Smith if Rozee and Caldwell are gone ( but I think one of them will be available) . GC just need to hold on to pick 2,3 and everything will be open up for pick 6 . Worse scenario trade it to GWS or pick Ben king or Bailey smith.

Last edited:
It seems illogical now for 2/3 to be anything other than Luko and Rankine. I personally would love to do 3 and 24 for 5 and 10. How would GC supporters feel about that?
Here are the possible trades that could happen between the Suns and Port involving Pick #2

1. #2 for #5, #10 and #15
2. #2 and #29 for #5, #10 and #15
3. #2 and #24 for #5, #10 and #15
4. #2, #24 and #29 for #5, #10 and #15

Here are the possible trades that could happen between the Suns and Port involving Pick #3

5. #3 for #5, #10 and #15
6. #3 and #29 for #5, #10 and #15
7. #3 and #24 for #5, #10 and #15
8. #3, #24 and #29 for #5, #10 and #15

Here are the possible trades that could happen between the Suns and Port involving Pick #6

9. #6 for #10 and #15
10. #6 and #29 for #10 and #15
11. #6 and #24 for #10 and #15

I haven't included your offer because it's unders, Your Majesty.

Interesting squad. You've gone for only 6 talls where 7 would be my choice, but I could live with a similar forward line. Rankine will surpass MacPherson at some point, although I'm sure they'll both be given the chance to form a combination. Wright is the first forward you'd pick, but is he your back up ruckman? IMO his forward play suffers when he has to chop out in the ruck, so Day comes in a 2nd tall forward and chop out ruckman, which Crossley could step up for in case of injury. Lukosius will start too, but that's why I like the Corbett pick because he provides a 3rd tall target, although Luko and Ballard can both play on the wing as well as forward or back. Sexton and Martin would be the first I'd choose, although the new rules might make them wingmen and high half forwards in rotation with Bowes, Ballard and Weller, which again opens the scope for 3 tall forwards.

Hard to fit them all in and I reckon there will be plenty of combinations trialled, including Martin at Full Forward, Ballard in a Fyfe-type role, Witts spending less time in the ruck and a lot of selection headaches in the backline.

I am a little confused on the second ruck.
Just think collins will be a better defender.
Corbett And Lukosius will be more versayile especially up forward
too

Apart from helping out in the ruck, just dont see where he’d spend majority game time.
To many tall forwards are a liability these days.
Especially if Dew wants to be strong defensively

Think Miller would be a gun lock down small defender/tagger

Surely one of them available at pick 24

Sam Stuart / Jez McLennan / Xavier O'Halloran/ Duursma/Valente/ Elly Smith / Bytel .

I think GC will hold on to pick 2,3 and see who is available at 6 . I won't be surprised GC pick Smith if Rozee and Caldwell are gone ( but I think one of them will be available) . GC just need to hold on to pick 2,3 and everything will be open up for pick 6 . Worse scenario trade it to GWS or pick Ben king or Bailey smith.
Agreed on pick #6. Picks #2 or #3 too expensive for other clubs, but that won't stop their fans crying about it. Pick #6 is up for grabs to the highest bidder between the Crows, Port and GWS. Nobody else has anything worth considering unless they offer a future 1st round pick with this year's 1st round pick, like Freo but not Richmond or Geelong (Lions can't because we already have their 2019 first pick).

Port can offer:
- #6 for #10 and #15
- #6 and #29 for #10 and #15
- #6 and #24 for #10 and #15

Crows can offer*:
- #6 for #8 and #16
- #6 and #29 for #8 and #16
- #6 and #24 for #8 and #16

GWS can offer**:
- #6 for #9 and #11
- #6 and #29 for #9 and #11
- #6 and #24 for #9 and #11

* to beat each of Port's potential offers
** to beat either or both of Port and/or the Crows' offers

They could all ask us for the kitchen sink = #6, #24 and #29 in which case we'd ask for a 5th round pick so that we retain 6 picks.

GWS and Adelaide have flexibility if Port aren't interested.

I am a little confused on the second ruck.
Just think collins will be a better defender.
Corbett And Lukosius will be more versayile especially up forward
too

Apart from helping out in the ruck, just dont see where he’d spend majority game time.
To many tall forwards are a liability these days.
Especially if Dew wants to be strong defensively

Think Miller would be a gun lock down small defender/tagger
I think Rozee is your odd man out.
Our backline needs to become taller, not smaller.
Ballard's a good option for 3rd tall defender or exchange him with Bowes or Weller.
Corbett can also be a tall option in defence as an intercept marking swingman.
Day can play a quarter on the bench, a quarter in the ruck and the rest shoring up which ever quadrant needs it most - resting forward to allow Wright licence to motor, resting back allowing the defence to reshuffle, pushing up either wing to create a contest and potentially taking ruck duties at stoppages.

Day had an average year coming back from a hideous injury, but he wasn't as bad as people made out. He played hard at the ball, spent 20% of game time chopping out in the ruck, and matched or bettered a lot of his stats (over 70% shots at goal, goals per game, contested marks, contested possessions, clearances and 1%ers). There are also character and leadership considerations to be made.

I think Rozee is your odd man out.
Our backline needs to become taller, not smaller.
Ballard's a good option for 3rd tall defender or exchange him with Bowes or Weller.
Corbett can also be a tall option in defence as an intercept marking swingman.
Day can play a quarter on the bench, a quarter in the ruck and the rest shoring up which ever quadrant needs it most - resting forward to allow Wright licence to motor, resting back allowing the defence to reshuffle, pushing up either wing to create a contest and potentially taking ruck duties at stoppages.

Day had an average year coming back from a hideous injury, but he wasn't as bad as people made out. He played hard at the ball, spent 20% of game time chopping out in the ruck, and matched or bettered a lot of his stats (over 70% shots at goal, goals per game, contested marks, contested possessions, clearances and 1%ers). There are also character and leadership considerations to be made.
I don't think Corbett could be swing men , Burgess could be but not Corbett . I could understand your reason behind Crossley but his endurance is way behind and GC also a team that fade in 2nd half this season .

Last edited:
I don't think Corbett could be swing men , Burgess could be but not Corbett . I could understand your reason behind Crossley but his endurance is way behind and GC also a team that fade in 2nd half this season .
All 3 mature ager picks can play in defence. Collins is the likeliest because he's already played AFL. Burgess next because he's played both forward and back at SANFL level. But Corbett has the versatility and at 190cm isn't particularly tall, so sending him back as a 7th defender in patches is what I'm suggesting, not fulltime back pocket.

I find it interesting as to who makes the first move in a potential pick swap. If it was Port & Suns talking you give up leverage in negotiations simply by making the first call.

If Suns contact Port then they know we are not sold on Rankine and they would think they could just wait at 5 for him.

To get the best deal in a pick swap Suns have to play a massive game of cat and mouse.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back