Autopsy 2018 JLT Series - Game 2: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Well they have played games, not serious AFL and early form can seduce, still looks like plenty of guys are going to be as good as most other years. most drafts are pretty solid with the only stinker I can think of being 2012 and even that was because GWS and GC got to pre list players before the drafts.

Don't think anyone was saying it was a bad draft, I think they were saying next years is clearly better. Unless we find picks I hope they are wrong because we mad a decision to get rid of a pick or maybe 2 to use on players this year. I don't think Sam Fisher year was that great or even Goddards year. They all still chasing the super draft year of 2001. As good as that was for us we ended up stuffing that up for reasons mainly out of our control.

I don’t think Trout has done a great deal wrong tbh. You can only pick from who is the best kid at the time, & performs the best & shows the most talent during their junior career. Unfortunately though, his only real mistake was not selecting the best when he had pick 1. We all know the justifications on why but overthinking with the top selection is thraught with danger.

If I’m being picky the McKenzie & Spencer White selections were wrong at the time as well. Both risky selections.

I reckon he’s nailed last years picks though. He kept it simple, didn’t overthink & selected the two best kids. I would’ve taken Bonar but I can’t fault the kids he chose.

Strategy with late(ish) (non top 10 picks) selections is another topic. I wouldn’t have picked Gresham, I wanted Darcy Tucker (run & carry & skills), most on here wanted Mathieson....lol. Very happy with Gresh in hindsight.

Yes, spot on.
(I would say ripping post but that’s yours and you could go me for royalties).
I think we need to put his performance into another context.
The club has been restricted by its business model for many, many years.
There just has not been the funds required, or available, to invest in the business.
It was all about survival.
In the case of a business like a football club, investing in the business is clearly investment in human capital.
In other words: player recruitment and development.
From memory (2015?), I think the Spencer board made an announcement that they would be expanding investment in football operations of some serious $k’s, even at the detriment of the club’s profit position.
A gutsy move.
So prior to 2015, I think it safe to say that Trout was operating an underfunded department.
The measurement in which his performance needs to be fairly assessed is that of his peers in a similarly underfunded environment.
After all, you cannot pick talent if you do not have the resources to identify that talent.
So pre 2015, don’t measure his performance against the fully funded behemoths of the comp: Collingwood, West Coast, Hawthorn etc.
Measure his performance against like underfunded peers.

From 2015 on, the argument is less valid.

(This same argument applies to our player development too).

There is a reason why smaller clubs find it difficult to compete against larger clubs, irrespective of the competition.

That is why this new deal at Etihad is so important and why Finnis describes it as a “game changer”.

People on here are, mostly, completely ignorant of it’s importance.

As for 2012; that was a really, really poor draft. Have a look at it. Our drafting is as bad as nearly everyone else’s.
A remarkably cogent and lucent post, I wish I could limn my missives half as facilely :thumbsu::)

I don’t think Trout has done a great deal wrong tbh. You can only pick from who is the best kid at the time, & performs the best & shows the most talent during their junior career. Unfortunately though, his only real mistake was not selecting the best when he had pick 1. We all know the justifications on why but overthinking with the top selection is thraught with danger.

If I’m being picky the McKenzie & Spencer White selections were wrong at the time as well. Both risky selections.

I reckon he’s nailed last years picks though. He kept it simple, didn’t overthink & selected the two best kids. I would’ve taken Bonar but I can’t fault the kids he chose.

Strategy with late(ish) (non top 10 picks) selections is another topic. I wouldn’t have picked Gresham, I wanted Darcy Tucker (run & carry & skills), most on here wanted Mathieson....lol. Very happy with Gresh in hindsight.

It was a toss up between burton and fresh for mine. Looks like we couldn't have gone wrong with either. And now we have coffield who seems to be a similar type to burton (?).

Tucker and Matheson both slid after being top 15 prospects. Will be interesting to see how their careers develop.

Autopsy 2018 JLT Series - Game 2: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back