News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going to wander down to st kilda city this week to watch a quarter or two.

Mainly to see how big Shem tapupu the former hawthorn and storm player goes, lovett is playing for port colts.

Two hard teams might be some fireworks although city at home should be easy winners, lovett might get a bit of attention.

Fierce rivals dating back to the old southeast suburban days.
Port Colts were brutal back in the day.

I recall a game against Elwood High which was called off after about 20 minutes due to a violent brawl.

really this shows the leadership of the top of the club .. people are criticle of the board for not being there and keeping the members informed but again i ask how many presidents of clubs hold open forums with the members regularly ? the fact our Pres doesnt feel the need to be infront of the camera isnt a bad thing at all ..

Port Colts were brutal back in the day.

I recall a game against Elwood High which was called off after about 20 minutes due to a violent brawl.
that's what killed footy for me, played for oakliegh, all in brawl every game. parents, everyone. I cbfd after the first few, luckily i was deep forward and they were always in the midfield. umpires getting threatened in the parking lot after the game. got to the point where if one of our players swore (even to themselves after a shit kick) they were immediately sent off in a show of discipline... obviously just made things worse

hopefully it's better these days

Over the past few years, we have taken a series of positive steps to rebuild the Saints.

We have addressed our salary cap position, significantly rebuilt an ageing list and returned to our spiritual home at Moorabbin, amongst other advancements.

After two consecutive years of winning more games than we lost, we identified specific areas for improvement during the off-season.

We were confident that increasing the focus on areas such as goalkicking, for example, would result in us being more competitive each week and challenging for a long-awaited finals appearance.

However, there is no doubt that so far, 2018 has been a step backwards, and it's a season that has been extremely disappointing.

While the Round 13 win over the Gold Coast saw us enter the bye on a positive note, we must acknowledge that we have fallen below the standards we set in the previous two years and where we aspire to be.

Our consistency has been poor and our ability to execute our skills not up to the level required. Injuries to key personnel have provided opportunities to blood exciting new talent in the form of five debutants, but ultimately, we haven’t been able to produce our best often enough.

We know how disheartening this drop-off has been and share your frustrations.

Throughout the course of the season, I have spoken to various members, both through forums in Melbourne and interstate, and in a number of less formal ways. I know Matt Finnis, Simon Lethlean and others have done likewise.

This week, the club invited our most loyal supporters, those who have been a member for more than 40 years, to RSEA Park to hear directly from club leaders.

More than 150 members were in attendance, and they were given the opportunity to ask myself, Alan Richardson, Matt Finnis and Simon Lethlean any questions they might have about the season to date and our future prospects.

As you would expect, the conversations were robust, honest and held with a great deal of passion.

Given the appetite from all members to understand what the club is doing to reverse our current on-field performance, we wanted to share with you the most relevant questions and answers from Monday’sforum.

Through the appointment of Simon Lethlean as General Manager of Football at the end of 2017, a comprehensive assessment of our football program is already underway.

Since Simon's appointment, he has been challenged and supported by CEO Matt Finnis and the board to evaluate all aspects of our football operations - from recruiting, coaching, high performance and leadership - with the mandate to make the necessary recommendations and changes to ensure we have an elite program capable of converting potential into premierships.

Simon has already presented his initial assessments from his first six months in the role. Pleasingly, there are areas Simon has reported positively on, but he has also initiated a number of both small and more significant changes.

He will continue to assess our program over the course of the season, which will allow us to make well-informed decisions that put us back on the path to success.

As disappointing as the first half of 2018 has been, it sets up the final nine rounds of 2018 as an enormous opportunity for our football club.

You will continue to see actions being taken over coming months, as the club seeks to improve all areas of our football program.

We need to re-establish our identity on the field and be ruthless in our pursuit of momentum that we can carry into the off-season.

We need to test the capabilities of our list. Every player afforded the privilege of wearing the St Kilda jumper has the chance to demonstrate the character and talent we need to take a significant step forward.

The remainder of the 2018 season will see more opportunity for our young list to step up, and we may well see more players wear the red, white and black for the first time.

The nucleus of a strong team is there, but we clearly need to continue to build our list with a focus on developing and recruiting elite talent.

We remain steadfast in our belief that Alan Richardson is the best person to drive the club’s response to this disappointing period.

He is a coach of great experience and possesses all the attributes, including a strong relationship with our playing group, that will enable us to regain lost ground and push towards success.

I know the past three months have been disheartening, but I thank you for your passion and commitment.

Never underestimate your importance to the club and our future.

We certainly won’t.

In fact, the way in which we all respond; players, coaches, the board and supporters, will be the making of this club.

Sincerely,

74595304-2ab7-43a8-8f6a-3d3a94665ee9.jpg

Peter Summers

President, St Kilda Football Club

"We need to test the capabilities of our list. Every player afforded the privilege of wearing the St Kilda jumper has the chance to demonstrate the character and talent we need to take a significant step forward.

The remainder of the 2018 season will see more opportunity for our young list to step up, and we may well see more players wear the red, white and black for the first time."

Good move - I'd be happy so see every untried player on our list get at least 2 games each between now and the end of the season.

Tanking - no Testing - yes!!!

"We need to test the capabilities of our list. Every player afforded the privilege of wearing the St Kilda jumper has the chance to demonstrate the character and talent we need to take a significant step forward.

The remainder of the 2018 season will see more opportunity for our young list to step up, and we may well see more players wear the red, white and black for the first time."

Good move - I'd be happy so see every untried player on our list get at least 2 games each between now and the end of the season.

Tanking - no Testing - yes!!!
Yep, love it mate. Hopefully the coaching staff have been told the same message

When I used to play for City United in Cairns nearly every game we passed around a few joints at half time.
We were serial slow starters out of the blocks after half time but it helped our hangovers and we won more than we lost.

That article reads like a synopsis of all the popular comments on this site.

The only thing I thought was a bit rich was saying midfield is Jack Billings best position as if it's obvious, he's never really played there to tell if he can or not.

On a more light hearted note......for those of you that haven't heard of it.....there's a great informal footy show on Channel 31...…."that's good for footy".

I went for the first time last night to the Saints show at the Tudor Inn in Cheltenham....here in Melb.

I discovered the "That's good for footy" show on Channel 31 by accident during the 2016 season.

They do a different AFL team panel every week at a Hotel usually in Metro Melb ….film the evening and play the show on Channel 31 3 times after the Wed night.

$10 to get in ...goes for 1 1/2 hours ……. JB and Members were the 2 Saints guys on the panel last night.

It was a full house and you get to hear a lot about the players in a very informal/relaxed atmosphere.

JB and members are apparently great mates and they both gave the audience heaps of laughs during the night....you get a really good insight to the players on a night like this.

JB has a great memory for numbers too.

They also have raffles and Picture Portrait auctions......there were a lot of happy punters leaving the Tudor Inn last night.

Anyway...….if you want to watch it...Channel 31 in Melb:

Tonight....10.00 pm

Friday...….8.00 pm

Sat...…….10.00 am.

Nail hit on head

i agree

plus you cant get free agents if you dont make finals. so the aim always was get your base and players from the draft. make them good to great. get into finals then you can compliment it with star free agents. we didnt even get passed step 2. so the criticism that trout couldnt land a free agent is totally unfair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich comment in the hun today.

"The kangaroos game in hindsight it probably wasnt a disastrous performance. The margin in the end was really poor that really dented our confidence.

Ive had of this campaigner hes ****ing beyond delusional. Ive never said a word about richo in regards to sacking him. Enough is enough he can start packing his bags.

Rich comment in the hun today.

"The kangaroos game in hindsight it probably wasnt a disastrous performance. The margin in the end was really poor that really dented our confidence.

Ive had of this campaigner hes ******* beyond delusional. Ive never said a word about richo in regards to sacking him. Enough is enough he can start packing his bags.
Everyone entered that game thinking North would finish on the bottom of the ladder ahnd tat we had lost to the basket case of the competition. Turns out North are actually a decent team who are vying for finals and we are the basket case.

Hindsight has showed a lot of teams will lose to North this year so we probably over reacted to losing that game and that affected our confidence in what we were doing for the next few months.

I think your response to his comment is more delusional than what he is actually saying.

Everyone entered that game thinking North would finish on the bottom of the ladder ahnd tat we had lost to the basket case of the competition. Turns out North are actually a decent team who are vying for finals and we are the basket case.

Hindsight has showed a lot of teams will lose to North this year so we probably over reacted to losing that game and that affected our confidence in what we were doing for the next few months.

I think your response to his comment is more delusional than what he is actually saying.
he keeps deflecting the core problem. He needs to come out and say the rubuild is blown were going to start again. Until someone at that club actually admits the problem were going nowhere fast. The stkilda fantasy continues and its crept into every crack in the whole organisation. Thats what you call delusional.

he keeps deflecting the core problem. He needs to come out and say the rubuild is blown were going to start again. Until someone at that club actually admits the problem were going nowhere fast. The stkilda fantasy continues and its crept into every crack in the whole organisation. Thats what you call delusional.
Instead of making a blanket statement, he has actually broken down what and where everything has gone wrong.
Saying the rebuild has failed doesn't do anything to fix our issues. Him and the club have looked deeper into our issues and found what mistakes we have made this year so they can fix them.

Instead of making a blanket statement, he has actually broken down what and where everything has gone wrong.
Saying the rebuild has failed doesn't do anything to fix our issues. Him and the club have looked deeper into our issues and found what mistakes we have made this year so they can fix them.
Unless we pull a half a dozen stars out of our ass were going nowhere fast.

that's what killed footy for me, played for oakliegh, all in brawl every game. parents, everyone. I cbfd after the first few, luckily i was deep forward and they were always in the midfield. umpires getting threatened in the parking lot after the game. got to the point where if one of our players swore (even to themselves after a shit kick) they were immediately sent off in a show of discipline... obviously just made things worse

hopefully it's better these days
Yeah it is much better, no push and shove back in the day people let fly.

I went by to watch an under 18 game at city years ago, a bit of a barny got going and a city kid dropped someone.

Next thing their all walking off, I head out to listen to the address thinking I didn't hear the siren and find out that's it, games called.

They still go hard but there's very little thuggery and when there is it's punished swiftly.

Clubs have really cleaned up their act on and off the ground. Responsible service of alcohol, respect programs and most are now football/netball clubs.

From the good old days.
Ahhhh….the memories !

That was a truly amazing game/win.

Both clubs undefeated after 13 rounds......scores level with 1 min 30 to go...….it doesn't get any closer than that.

Recon I jumped six feet out of my seat when he took that grab !!!

Thanks for posting Pakenhamsaint.

Ahhhh….the memories !

That was a truly amazing game/win.

Both clubs undefeated after 13 rounds......scores level with 1 min 30 to go...….it doesn't get any closer than that.

Recon I jumped six feet out of my seat when he took that grab !!!

Thanks for posting Pakenhamsaint.
I reckon its easily the greatest game of football ever played.

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back