News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Allan Jeans once told Dermott Brereton he wished St Kilda would get it right ... they still haven’t
Dermott Brereton, Herald Sun
August 16, 2018 8:00pm
Subscriber only
JUST get it right Saints.

As a young man I occasionally had the privilege of sharing a lift home with my coach Allan Jeans.

Roughly a quarter of a century later after those shared drives, “Yabby” would be named the Saints’ coach of the century.

ROO: RICHO UNDER PRESSURE AS PATIENCE WEARS THIN

PRESSURE: SAINTS ON VERGE OF BOARDROOM BRAWL

TALENT: DRAFT BUNGLES THAT COST SAINTS DEARLY

In the car Jeans sometimes spoke of his love for the St Kilda Football Club, but there was also a tinge of bewilderment that sometimes seeped through.

He never mentioned it, but I got the feeling that some decisions that were made involving him rankled.

He spoke of his affection for “Cowboy” Neale, Barry Breen and Travis “Bongo” Payze.

71c09b8e92a24b813fcae261bfac0d7b

Allan Jeans celebrates St Kilda’s Grand Final win in 1966.
Even though he was a policeman by trade, you could hear the admiration in his voice for the rogues of his era.

Jeans would talk affectionately of John Bingley and how one of his handful of games was the 1966 premiership.

I asked him just how good Daryl Baldock was compared to our own Leigh Matthews.

He would reply: “I’m not going to tell you, laddie, who was the best player I have coached, but I will tell you that Barry Lawrence was the best player to coach.”

But if I asked him the differences between the Hawks and the Saints his mood would change.

“They’ve been going for 100 years and all they have to show for it is one premiership,” he would say. “I wish that they could just get it right.”

96dac87dd16f889141bfd8b00e39b374

Allan Jeans and Dermott Brereton at Hawthorn training in 1989.
I didn’t understand what he truly meant by “just get it right”. I never really pressed him on it. I was young and he was the master but the mood in him always changed.

More than likely, it was the decisions made from the top down. Decisions that had hurt him as well.

For the modern-day Saints, the top office needs to get a series of upcoming decisions absolutely right.

A brief look at the past 10 years reveals:

IN 2006 the Saints sacked coach Grant Thomas after building a list that took him and his much loved Saints into the finals.

THE then-president Rod Butters has since revealed that and other decisions were made while his mind was affected by alcohol and other drugs.

He was a good guy, Rod, but a less than perfect lifestyle influenced him and in turn he influenced the board to push the only person in the club that was willing to stand up to him.

ROSS Lyon was appointed and five seasons he took the club to a grand final three times and to four finals series in a row, making him the club’s second most successful coach behind Jeans.

9326c415f15ac614572e1c01b32f8957

Former St Kilda coach Ross Lyon.
4e0f461534b75b037935eaee4585ba02

Former St Kilda coach Scott Watters.
But the top office fell asleep at the wheel and in 2011 Lyon was courted by Fremantle when they learned of a “get out” clause in his contract.

SCOTT Watters was appointed next. Highly credentialed as one of the masterminds behind Collingwood’s midfield in its 2010 premiership year, Watters shook things up and was very keen on several new aspects of the footballing department at Seaford.

A workaholic who suffers fools even less gladly than my mate Sam Newman, Scott ruffled up a few people and it is fair to say that thereafter, the tail wagged the dog. And the dog influenced the board to move on him.

To this day I have not met anyone who is smarter on reading game styles and strategies and analysing player strengths and weaknesses. It is almost irresponsible of our industry to have that level of IP sitting on the outside.

Some have tried to lure Watters back, but I just don’t know whether he wants to deal with it all again.

NOW we enter the era of Alan Richardson, one of the truly good guys in league circles.

My call on Richo was always, will he force it all to be his way like an Alastair Clarkson, Ross Lyon or Mick Malthouse?

When he was appointed in 2014, Saints president Peter Summers (rightly or wrongly, you can decide) got up and announced the club’s five-year vision: St Kilda: The Road To 2018.

7ec7301614cad770686b259522297010

Alan Richardson after speaking to his players.
Summers said “by 2018 we will be a top four side that is positioned to be a premiership contender”.

“By 2020 we will have our second premiership,” the president continued.

The Saints will be headhunting new assistant coaches for 2019.

And, if we believe them this time, only assistant coaches.

With a large degree of autonomy, Simon Lethlean has been handed the steering wheel and he will be looking for innovators.

He must find assistants who will challenge Richo to adopt a game style other than just what could be described as a “pressure type game”.

It must stand for something and mean something.

He needs to find an assistant like Justin Leppitsch, someone who has balls enough, for example, to fight to keep three small forwards (Rioli, Castagna and Butler) in the team when other selectors are caught up on low possession counts.

71ba7d95edee8ddbafded013d7795b1d

Jarryn Geary leads St Kilda off after the loss to Essendon.
He needs to find another Watters, someone who can select an opponent for an opposition star and take down that star based purely on skill set.

He needs to find another version of Richo, to help develop the young players recently drafted into better players than their draft order dictates.

He needs to find a young David Noble who will challenge him and force him to come up with new answers.

And he needs to lure a hard nosed assistant with smarts who will stare down the barrel and ask the question: “If Dan Hannebery is still as good as he was, why is Sydney letting him go with several years left on his contract?”

If Lethlean is lucky, he will find all these qualities in one or two new assistant coaches.

And then of course we have to wait and see what the board, however it might be comprised, truly wants.

Real change, some change, or no change.

Because each time the Saints have reached a fork in the road over the last 52 years, history shows us that they haven’t been all that good at selecting the correct path.

As Yabby said, “just get it right.”

Feel sadness reading the stuff on Jeans, poor bloke just wanted to see another flag. I’m young so I can wait but you see older guys like my old man, molly meldrum etc and think if they’re ever going to see us drinking out of that cup.

Dermie’s take on his mate Watters is amazing.

He makes it sound like he was a better coach than RL. One short, offhand paragraph on him and 3 on Watters...

“ it is almost irresponsible of the industry to have that level of IP sitting on the outside.”
Funny how we’ve never seen him being chased by any other club.

Biased much, you show pony?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I for one would much prefer us to actually turn it around and win the first 6 games under richo then indulge in some selfish wish fulfilment like this tripe.
We would be stupid enough to sign him up for another 5 years if that happened, and you could guarantee we would finish the season 6-16.

Be careful what you wish for.

8 ways St Kilda has sinned since last finals appearance in 2011
JAY CLARK, MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
August 15, 2018 2:33pm
Subscriber only
Ads by Kiosked
MANY key decisions made by St Kilda leaders, most since their last finals appearance in 2011, are open to criticism.

We analyse some of the club’s biggest blunders.

1. St Kilda loses respected coach Ross Lyon to Fremantle at the end of 2011 after stalling on a new deal mid-year.

97cce7117d48203f2dd585a68372e791

Ex-coach Ross Lyon shocked the Saints when he left the Saints for Fremantle.
2. The Saints make the worst decision in football and move its club headquarters from Moorabbin to Seaford. Former captain Nick Riewoldt said the move “crushed the group”.

3. Senior coach Scott Watters falls out with senior players and club officials and is sacked at the end of his second season (2013). The club considered the move in August but waited until October.

5fffa08851af3a77b83e1553cc8fe7f6

St Kilda was sacked after the 2013 season.
Ads by Kiosked
4. Former cricket ace Jamie Cox lasts two seasons as football manager, replaced by Simon Lethlean this season. St Kilda has had three footy managers in four years.

5. The Saints make the surprise call to select key forward Paddy McCartin over the more highly-touted Christian Petracca with pick No.1 in the 2014 national draft.

175dc30f0e161e0f94140847b1d2330a

The Saints selected Paddy McCartin ahead of Christian Petracca in the 2014 draft. Picture: Michael Klein
6. The club builds a midfield lacking outside run and polish.

7. St Kilda’s player incentive payments tips it over the salary cap edge in 2012. Footy boss Chris Pelchen made some urgent changes to avoid AFL sanctions. Their top 10 players take up 62 per cent of the salary cap that year.

8. The Saints take Jack Billings with pick No.3, ahead of Marcus Bontempelli, in the 2013 national draft.

5793e03afafff2db2854d0843585ca39

Jack Billings was preferred over Marcus Bontempelli. Picture: AAP
9. The club hands over pick No.12 in 2012 for Tom Lee and No. 24 (Nathan Wright) and No.43 (Josh Saunders).

10. The Saints send pick No.13 and No.36 to Gold Coast for ruckman Tom Hickey and pick No.25 (Spencer White).

11. The club trades picks No.25 and No.41 to Brisbane for ruckman Billy Longer in 2013.

12. Forward Tom Lynch is moved on to Adelaide for pick No.37 in 2011.

a04740a4718cffc1a3bab291eba80dc5

The Saints let Tom Lynch go.
12. The Saints hand over pick No.16 in the 2009 national draft for Essendon midfielder Andrew Lovett. He failed to play a AFL game for the Saints.

13. The Saints make calls not to renew the contracts of highly-respected club greats Leigh Montagna and Nick Riewoldt at the end of last season. Richardson subsequently says he underestimated the leadership vacuum it would create.

4846bec915e6d96d683c1bc94f294616

The retirements of Leigh Montagna and Nick Riewoldt last season have left a leadership hole at the Saints. Picture: Getty Images
14. Plans to play home and away games in New Zealand are ditched amid dwindling crowds and lack of support. Three games in Wellington averaged crowds of 16,000.

15. Saints win the golden opportunity to play North Melbourne on Good Friday this year, but do prospects of keeping the date no good as they lose by 52 points.

16. In October last year the club extends the coaching contract of Alan Richardson, until 2020, despite another year of no finals.

17. Business decisions stretching back decades culminate in debt hitting $12 million. Poor performances contribute to the club drawing the second-lowest average crowd among Victorian clubs this season.

8 ways St Kilda has sinned since last finals appearance in 2011
JAY CLARK, MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
August 15, 2018 2:33pm
Subscriber only
Ads by Kiosked
MANY key decisions made by St Kilda leaders, most since their last finals appearance in 2011, are open to criticism.

We analyse some of the club’s biggest blunders.

1. St Kilda loses respected coach Ross Lyon to Fremantle at the end of 2011 after stalling on a new deal mid-year.

97cce7117d48203f2dd585a68372e791

Ex-coach Ross Lyon shocked the Saints when he left the Saints for Fremantle.
2. The Saints make the worst decision in football and move its club headquarters from Moorabbin to Seaford. Former captain Nick Riewoldt said the move “crushed the group”.

3. Senior coach Scott Watters falls out with senior players and club officials and is sacked at the end of his second season (2013). The club considered the move in August but waited until October.

5fffa08851af3a77b83e1553cc8fe7f6

St Kilda was sacked after the 2013 season.
Ads by Kiosked
4. Former cricket ace Jamie Cox lasts two seasons as football manager, replaced by Simon Lethlean this season. St Kilda has had three footy managers in four years.

5. The Saints make the surprise call to select key forward Paddy McCartin over the more highly-touted Christian Petracca with pick No.1 in the 2014 national draft.

175dc30f0e161e0f94140847b1d2330a

The Saints selected Paddy McCartin ahead of Christian Petracca in the 2014 draft. Picture: Michael Klein
6. The club builds a midfield lacking outside run and polish.

7. St Kilda’s player incentive payments tips it over the salary cap edge in 2012. Footy boss Chris Pelchen made some urgent changes to avoid AFL sanctions. Their top 10 players take up 62 per cent of the salary cap that year.

8. The Saints take Jack Billings with pick No.3, ahead of Marcus Bontempelli, in the 2013 national draft.

5793e03afafff2db2854d0843585ca39

Jack Billings was preferred over Marcus Bontempelli. Picture: AAP
9. The club hands over pick No.12 in 2012 for Tom Lee and No. 24 (Nathan Wright) and No.43 (Josh Saunders).

10. The Saints send pick No.13 and No.36 to Gold Coast for ruckman Tom Hickey and pick No.25 (Spencer White).

11. The club trades picks No.25 and No.41 to Brisbane for ruckman Billy Longer in 2013.

12. Forward Tom Lynch is moved on to Adelaide for pick No.37 in 2011.

a04740a4718cffc1a3bab291eba80dc5

The Saints let Tom Lynch go.
12. The Saints hand over pick No.16 in the 2009 national draft for Essendon midfielder Andrew Lovett. He failed to play a AFL game for the Saints.

13. The Saints make calls not to renew the contracts of highly-respected club greats Leigh Montagna and Nick Riewoldt at the end of last season. Richardson subsequently says he underestimated the leadership vacuum it would create.

4846bec915e6d96d683c1bc94f294616

The retirements of Leigh Montagna and Nick Riewoldt last season have left a leadership hole at the Saints. Picture: Getty Images
14. Plans to play home and away games in New Zealand are ditched amid dwindling crowds and lack of support. Three games in Wellington averaged crowds of 16,000.

15. Saints win the golden opportunity to play North Melbourne on Good Friday this year, but do prospects of keeping the date no good as they lose by 52 points.

16. In October last year the club extends the coaching contract of Alan Richardson, until 2020, despite another year of no finals.

17. Business decisions stretching back decades culminate in debt hitting $12 million. Poor performances contribute to the club drawing the second-lowest average crowd among Victorian clubs this season.
:(

He clearly knows Richo will get sacked next year meaning he'll be a senior coach again.
That's totally my read.

I think it is a pretty good move.

If as we expect, Cho crashes and burns, we have a coach who knows how to senior coach and can take over immediately.

If cho somehow hangs on to year end. Ratts Has been in the system a year and can move seamlessly.

Let's face it, Cho is going nowhere until sometime in 2019.

Ratten is a great alternative

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2018 St Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back