List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
July 8 2017, round 16 and we've just murdered the eventual premiers for our 9th win to jump into 7th on the ladder.

Norf are sitting 17th with just 4 wins after round 16.

14 months later, how on earth can we be considered no chance to get the players most likely to go to the overachieving club in Norf.

Another example is Hawthorn sitting 16th in round 14 last year and finishing 4th this year.

If we can't attract anyone I am not blaming the year we've had but the clubs inability to convince anyone to come, with both spin and dollars. Jesus can we just go back to half time of Maddie's match last year already?!

Last edited:
July 8 2017, round 16 and we've just murdered the eventual premiers for our 9th win to jump into 7th on the ladder.

14 months later, how on earth can we be considered no chance to get the players most likely to go to the overachieving club in Norf.

If we can't attract anyone I am not blaming the year we've had but the clubs inability to convince anyone to come, with both spin and dollars. Jesus can we just go back to half time of Maddie's match last year already?!
That half was an aberration

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Precisely why all is not lost. We have had our annus horribilis. With the right recruitment and coaching we can bounce back pretty swiftly IMO

That's what the club thinks. They're wrong. Just like old mate trout was.

For starters the 3 players they need won't come.
Precisely why all is not lost. We have had our annus horribilis. With the right recruitment and coaching we can bounce back pretty swiftly IMO

Listen from 40 seconds, discussing why we traded out our 2018. Disgraceful really.

Watch this. And you wonder why I called him out as a useless dribbler after a few meetings? Sorry to trigger the usual suspects, but the horror is magnified when you actually have to listen to the people who hold our club's future in their hands and you know exactly how it's going to end.

And here we are, seven years later folks, just as predicted back then. No experience, no expertise, another "good bloke" cronyistic howler of an appointment from the saints. No wonder we're crap.

For Lewdogs it never happened and I never met him. Funny how I called him out from the start. Lucky guess, I suppose. Seems Satan Lethlean appears to concur. First to go. Any of you had to sit through a meeting with him would come to the same conclusion. I don't think the work experience kid is any better.

The apprentice had a fool for a master. Why don't we get serious and get a Simon Dalrymple or Steven Wells type? And no, Lewdogs, he didn't give me the arse. Had nothing to do with him. Then again none of it actually happened, so relax.

Man reading the wce boards opinion on longer was eye opening. Even they can see it. Good at the tap but that's where it stops.

Longer is a pretender. Hickey a never was.

Our ruck stocks are shit. We need to get better at development.

Side note longer will never make it because he's lazy.

Everybody worried about how shit our team is.-
In 2016 our best win was against Western Bulldogs
In 2017 our best win was against Richmond.
In 2018 our best win was against Melbourne.
Best win in 2016 was v Geelong with Gresham’s freak goal followed up by Stuv’s soccer goal from the stoppage

It beats me why no players want to come to St Kilda

b3v6v5.jpg

I think this way too, but and it's a big but, footballers are so stupidly short sighted. They don't care about hard draws, one down year or injuries - they see a team on the verge of finals or in finals and want the glory.

The only exception to this is if you belong to a big club who will have 75k at the ground every week.

For all of our stupid comments about being aggressive, all I see is that aggressiveness causing our guns to walk for the sake of it.

I desperately need some good news, I am actually dumbfounded that Norf seem to have pulled this off. I need something to restore my faith
BJ i don't know what we are going to do , because when we started the rebuild we basically only had a couple stars that had limited time left ( Roo , Montagna ) and we were hoping our top draft picks will be dominating for us by the time they were retired - well as you know they have not come on as we would of liked ( McCartin , Goddard , Freeman )

We lucked out and never got a Cripps , Bont or Oliver who are freaks because they were outstanding from a very young age , however we do have a lot of talent but it's going to take time , but a lot of them will make it - so in the mean time as we are getting games into them , we have to find a way to strengthen our team and it's going to be extremely hard with the draft picks we have.

But trading Steven , Acres , Billings is not on /// because that will weaken our best 22 and we need to make it better.

So what do we do if we don't get Gaff , Shiel or the likes
- take our pick 4 to the draft
- trade Dunstan - don't know about that because the guy hasn't even turned 24 yet and has showed he can get the ball when he is on his game - he could be one of those guys that takes until he is 25 before he shows something - but once again this was his year and he finished it off in the two's / could we get a 2nd round draft pick from the Suns for him ?
- trade Weller - yes
- trade Longer - yes
- trade Lonie - don't know about that - has shown more than a few players this year
- trade Savage - yes / why because we have a lot of young half backs who can fill his position
- trade Armitage - yes / but who would take him - he did play a few good games like Savage
- trade Hickey - no / because we need a ruck if we can't get anyone
- trade Newnes - yes / if we could get value for him - but I doubt it.

As you know all these guys are really not worth anything trade wise

So it looks we go to the draft with pick 4
maybe lucky to get a couple 3rd round picks for a couple players
and I would go through the VFL , WAFL and SAFL and pick up anyone that could add to our depth.
And just hope the AFL has pity on us and give us a P/pick

In this case we are going to hope our young side improves and just hope Bruce and Roberton get their best form back with Steven , Carlisle , Ross , Webster hold form.

This is why I'm hoping we can use our high draft pick and next years as well if we could score a couple good players - even though I will spew we miss out on Smith - but it will give us time for our kids to develop more and give us a couple leaders.

I have no doubt we will win more games next year just on steady improvement from our list and a weaker draw - just look at this year - Carlisle missed about 6 or 7 games , Bruce hardly played , Roberton had problems , Long broke his leg , Stevens retired , Acres was only fit for the first few games of the year , Longer got slower , we played Weller , Hickey , Wright , Armitage , Newnes when they had no form ,and we only got flogged by 70 points once (Swans) where Fremantle , Suns , Carlton were all beaten several times by over 100 points.

But it is going to be tough this draft period

That half was an aberration

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep. The hype around that match being Maddie’s Match & it being Roo’s last ‘Maddie’s Match’, there hasn’t been that hype for a game for years. Hadn’t played in a game with that much sentimental meaning in years. We lifted bigtime & Richmond wilted

However... The performance in that game was the exception, not the rule

We are very ordinary

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think our drafting recently has been too bad.. as others have mentioned it’s the player development which has lacked progress. I still hold onto hope that next year (if we keep them) JB, Acres, Dunny, Sincs will all finally take the next step. I do believe that they all have the tools to be a really good core group going forward but they’ve all been so inconsistent the past two years we need something to change and click. If a few of those blokes kick on and Steele, Gresh, and Webster build on their 2018 seasons along with the returns of Robbo and Bruce then suddenly we have the base of a finals team.

I would keep our first pick in this years draft, unless a downgrade heavily in our favour (SA clubs will want Rankine). If we go best available we will get either the man mentioned, Walsh, a King brother etc. Along with Clark and Coff that’s some more potentially elite talent acquired within 2 years.. then throw our cash around see what sticks and if we can’t get anyone significant this year then reload and go again as we will be a much more attractive destination. I’m against trading Ross and Stuv for this very reason, instead of potentially bottoming out like Carlton we reignite as North Melbourne has done and regain some respected amongst the competition. I understand we need to get back into the 2nd/3rd rounds but hopefully that’s done through Lonie, Hickey or Longer. I’m also not convinced on Hannebery however if it is indeed a salary dump and we get him on the cheap why not, nothing to lose. Hoping there’s still a decent mid that will announce their intentions to leave once the season concludes and we are all over them.

Yep. The hype around that match being Maddie’s Match & it being Roo’s last ‘Maddie’s Match’, there hasn’t been that hype for a game for years. Hadn’t played in a game with that much sentimental meaning in years. We lifted bigtime & Richmond wilted

However... The performance in that game was the exception, not the rule

We are very ordinary
it was and what gutted me , was we still played players who gave nothing , or if they did they just turned it over and players who showed improvement last year were put out of position.

I was wrong about the Cats I thought they would win easy - wrong there

They rolled the dice in getting Ablett and now have there star players aging and their window is closing fast.
next year these guys will be
J.Selwood 31
Hawkins 31
Taylor 33
Ablett 35
Dangerfield 29 - will be a star for a while yet
Henderson 29
S.Selwood 29
Tuohy 29

draft picks 11, 47, 54, 55, 56, 83 not to much better than us
St Kilda 3, 57, 61, 63, 75

I was wrong about the Cats I thought they would win easy - wrong there

They rolled the dice in getting Ablett and now have there star players aging and their window is closing fast.
next year these guys will be
J.Selwood 31
Hawkins 31
Taylor 33
Ablett 35
Dangerfield 29 - will be a star for a while yet
Henderson 29
S.Selwood 29
Tuohy 29

draft picks 11, 47, 54, 55, 56, 83 not to much better than us
St Kilda 3, 57, 61, 63, 75
the Dockers only have 5, 77

I don’t think our drafting recently has been too bad.. as others have mentioned it’s the player development which has lacked progress. I still hold onto hope that next year (if we keep them) JB, Acres, Dunny, Sincs will all finally take the next step. I do believe that they all have the tools to be a really good core group going forward but they’ve all been so inconsistent the past two years we need something to change and click. If a few of those blokes kick on and Steele, Gresh, and Webster build on their 2018 seasons along with the returns of Robbo and Bruce then suddenly we have the base of a finals team.

I would keep our first pick in this years draft, unless a downgrade heavily in our favour (SA clubs will want Rankine). If we go best available we will get either the man mentioned, Walsh, a King brother etc. Along with Clark and Coff that’s some more potentially elite talent acquired within 2 years.. then throw our cash around see what sticks and if we can’t get anyone significant this year then reload and go again as we will be a much more attractive destination. I’m against trading Ross and Stuv for this very reason, instead of potentially bottoming out like Carlton we reignite as North Melbourne has done and regain some respected amongst the competition. I understand we need to get back into the 2nd/3rd rounds but hopefully that’s done through Lonie, Hickey or Longer. I’m also not convinced on Hannebery however if it is indeed a salary dump and we get him on the cheap why not, nothing to lose. Hoping there’s still a decent mid that will announce their intentions to leave once the season concludes and we are all over them.
Many of our players will come good.

Problem is that they are the wrong type for modern footy. Paddy is a prime example and so was Hugh.

Many of our players will come good.

Problem is that they are the wrong type for modern footy. Paddy is a prime example and so was Hugh.
Agreed with Paddy and however the rest can all make the standard of modern footy. Acres and Gresh in particular both have untapped potential in that regard, their movements and evasiveness can be outstanding. Marshall is another one who for his size moves very well and could really be something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back