List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Shiel is not coming (and I'm on record as saying I'm not that bothered) it will be extremely interesting on what GWS accepts in terms of trading. I don't know what it might be but I wonder if this pushes us towards another unknown target. Some of these young kids who want to go back to Victoria. Could end up well for us.

Herald Sun has floated, in tomorrows paper I presume, pick 4 to Sydney for Hanners, pick 12 and maybe another player.

I'm not sure I like it. I love Hanners like he's my firstborn child but he isn't worth pick 4 and I can't think of another Sydney player they're willing to let go that would make the deal worth moving to pick 12.
They can throw us Florent if they like :p
My guess would have to be a young player maybe Matthew Ling?

I didn’t say he can’t play. Just won’t win a flag with him in the team.
Ah, yeah, it is dude. Trade week starts next week, Shiel hasn't said anything yet, but you're declaring him gone in the basis of what? Paranoia.

I'm sorry but if think playing the poor victim and creating a history that hasnt happened is the way a club becomes successful, then you're mistaken - look at the Hawks. Thing happen to them and their supporters have a belief that it's by design and things will work out. If you think the way supporters behalvw doesnr have an impact on the club as a whole, you're mistaken because there are people on here that also attend various functions,know staff and players and it permeates through the whole place.

So get unhappy with things that don't work out, sure, but let's wait until they haven't worked out hey, stop being paranoid and preempting failure.

Hawks are a successful Club that deliver so their supporters are seldom frustrated, anxious or paranoid. They are well looked after. Are Saint's supporters as well looked after? A scarf, a raffle ticket, an open day, an occasional finals appearance. Tit bits to keep the membership quiet. My God most, I bet, did not even know the previous two Presidents or ever heard much they said except the much vaunted 5 year plan that was designed to give us a top 4 spot this season, become a "Destination Club" and win a premiership by 2020.

Most do not even know the new President, whereas they know Eddie McGuire or Jeff Kennett.

Maybe we will or won't get Shiel but it is looking highly unlikely because, even though we have offered more money for him that any other player in our history, we are not a "Destination Club" That does not make me paranoid or anxious just a realist and a frustrated loyal supporter. I am not playing the victim or creating history that has not happened. It is just that I have seen it all before.

I have seen the best time in Saint's history, so it is icing on the cake for me if we win another premiership. I do however feel for our loyal supporters who have followed the Saints over the last 50 years without much success and have stayed true. Frustrated they are but I don't think they are paranoid or anxious, they stay true and loyal despite little success. They are just disappointed and frustrated when they see other Club's giving their supporters success while we continue to live in Groundhog day.

BTW, I am a very happy guy, not many things make me unhappy at my age. St Kilda is my Club, has been for 60 years and they have given me much happiness and I am sure they will continue to do so, whether we get Shiel, Gaff or Hannebery.

Last edited:
Question: is our list supposedly spoken of in the media as a the 'worst list in the comp' because we had a shocker of a year, or did we have a shocker of a year because our list is 'the worst in the comp'?
My personal opinion is our list has huge potential, but were coached badly allround, lacked experience and leadership and lacks an inside out mid with good skills and pace(in a nutshell). Then comes the excuses - draw, injuries, etc.
Also the media are a bunch of campaigners!!
Whats ur thoughts?

Firstly I’m stupidly optimistic...and have no problem with AR coaching next year. I don’t think the Footy Gods smiled on us at all this year...not sure why. Players who I thought showed glimpses in the past, seemed to go backwards. Injuries...poor Robbo...Carlisle copping a Fyfe knee...Battle - twice....Bruce...Paddy...Acres...I’ve probably missed some too. I just don’t think they got a chance to string games together. One stat I look at is the total games played of the team...rd 1 this year it was 1801, rd 22 1724 (If you go back to 2007 rd 1 the team had played 2359). I think we’re inexperienced and will improve next year...the off field changes should also certainly help...happy to predict we win between 9 and 12 games (may be more...with some luck).

Not feeling confident about shiel but until i see official confirmation that we have missed out i will continue to hold some hope

As for pick 4 being involved in the hanners trade i just can't see it unless a gun kid is involved such as florent. And we know that aint gonna happen. The top 5 this year is just too damn valuable to give away for a "fair" deal. You'd have to pay well overs to get your hand on pick 4 this year

Until we start getting decent free agents thru the door were f#+ked . The gap is widening every time a top 8 side gets one in for nothing. Forget about Sheil for pick 4 etc . The only advantage I can see with that long-term is it might actually attract a free agent gun next year . Gaff and hall to the friggan kangaroos?
You know we’re in strife when that boring arse club is dragging them in and we can’t . And if we actually don’t get sheil - were in more trouble than the early settlers.
Here's the thing though, 12 months ago North were exactly where we are now, in fact probably worse (all they were able to get was Hartung, and I'm pretty sure they either got him late in the draft, or as a "DFA", whereas we've already had Hannebery and Kent nominate us).

Years of doom were being widely predicted for North last summer, yet less than a year on and they won more than they lost, and they look like they could get Gaff, Polec, Hall and Tarryn Thomas, and then Kelly next year!

Which surely shows you how fast the tables can turn.

Probably Zak Jones or something equally face palming..
Please **** no. Don’t even joke about that shit. Zac Jones :eek: .... GTFO

Vomit

Hate the idea of giving up pick 4 in any way to the Swans. That would mean they get a free swing at a top 5 kid AND then pick up Nick Blakey as well FFS. It would be absolutely stupid if we did anything like that

Not feeling confident about shiel but until i see official confirmation that we have missed out i will continue to hold some hope

As for pick 4 being involved in the hanners trade i just can't see it unless a gun kid is involved such as florent. And we know that aint gonna happen. The top 5 this year is just too damn valuable to give away for a "fair" deal. You'd have to pay well overs to get your hand on pick 4 this year

Pick 4 + Paddy for Hanners + T.McCartin + 12

Would be the Ultimate troll

Herald Sun has floated, in tomorrows paper I presume, pick 4 to Sydney for Hanners, pick 12 and maybe another player.

I'm not sure I like it. I love Hanners like he's my firstborn child but he isn't worth pick 4 and I can't think of another Sydney player they're willing to let go that would make the deal worth moving to pick 12.

My immediate thought was Gary Rohan being the other player. If thats the case the NO from me.

Firstly I’m stupidly optimistic...and have no problem with AR coaching next year. I don’t think the Footy Gods smiled on us at all this year...not sure why. Players who I thought showed glimpses in the past, seemed to go backwards. Injuries...poor Robbo...Carlisle copping a Fyfe knee...Battle - twice....Bruce...Paddy...Acres...I’ve probably missed some too. I just don’t think they got a chance to string games together. One stat I look at is the total games played of the team...rd 1 this year it was 1801, rd 22 1724 (If you go back to 2007 rd 1 the team had played 2359). I think we’re inexperienced and will improve next year...the off field changes should also certainly help...happy to predict we win between 9 and 12 games (may be more...with some luck).

Not sure success is built on luck but Ok all teams need a little, but as the old saying goes, the harder you work the luckier you get. Nothing to do with the "football Gods"

As for your opinion about our list, I have to agree only because I barrack for the Saints and always believe out list is better than all the other Clubs. That Steven is the best mid in the league and yes Paddy can become another Plugger, Geary an inspirational and attacking Captain and we have the best Rucks in the league.

The reason why the total games played went down was the Coach was eventually forced to play the young guys in the second half of the year. The year before he played them for a total of 4 games, Yes FOUR games, two to Long, one to Battle and one to Marshall. After this year's byes, when we could not make the 8 and we had a lot of injuries, he had to think about the Club's future rather than his own so he went half way and played the young guys more. So yes we are an inexperienced team because unlike many other Club's we have been playing the more senior players at the expense of the young guys. No wonder they get frustrated when they see a guy like Stephenson play 26 games this year including a grand final and a guy like Ed Phillips, who was very promising, gets 7 games.

However when we are going around all the other Clubs for their scraps, no Club, except Geelong with Steven, apparently, have suggested they would like to sign up one of our players. We are not only not a "Destination Club" we also don't seem to be a " Supplier Club"

We will see in the next two weeks who will be traded from out list and what we get for them, then we can have some idea where our lists is.

Question: is our list supposedly spoken of in the media as a the 'worst list in the comp' because we had a shocker of a year, or did we have a shocker of a year because our list is 'the worst in the comp'?
My personal opinion is our list has huge potential, but were coached badly allround, lacked experience and leadership and lacks an inside out mid with good skills and pace(in a nutshell). Then comes the excuses - draw, injuries, etc.
Whats ur thoughts?
Our list is better than many , however very young .
How good will be determined how they come on - Billings , Gresham , Steele , Acres , Coffield , Hunter .
What killed us this year was kicking - turn overs and kicking for goal.
We did miss Roberton leadership and Bruce / no matter what anybody says and having Longer go backwards , Stevens retiring , Acres carrying a injury , Carlisle, Long missing games mixed in with bad form and team selection with no confidence made for a shocking year.

Just being able to fill a fit team with the added year behind the kids we will be going back up the ladder.

Have the faith
They can throw us Florent if they like :p
My guess would have to be a young player maybe Matthew Ling?
Just more waffle , list manager came out and stated they wouldn't trade pick for for Shiel so I doubt they would do it for Hannebery and another player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats ur thoughts?

The potential of the list is enormous in my eyes, that doesn't mean we don't have issues, we are very young with far too may important players not yet at 50 games let alone 150.
Under 50 games: Clark, Long, Austin, Battle, Phillips, White, McCartin, Coffield, McKenzie, Rice and Marshall.
50 to 100 games: Hickey, Gresham, Acres (56), Steele(58), Dunstan, Lonie(50), Billings, Longer, Bruce, Membrey, Webster, Sinclair.
100 to 150 games: Carlisle, Savage, Ross (102), Newnes, Roberton, Weller.
150 to 200 games: Steven, Geary, Armitage and Brown.

For me the reflection is that those under 50 games are really two years away from knowing whether they can play AFL, it will be after, up to 100 games they'll show value but still be erratic, 100 games and more that they are consistent footballers where we'll see the ceiling of what they can achieve and after 150 where they can be so sure of their game that they can be on field leaders and direct traffic.
I've left out Paton, Clavarino, Langlands and Pierce because they are so young/or that their role at the club is unsure.
Underlined are the senior players we're still fighting about.
Italicised are those that have/should have a very limited future.

Bolded are those whom our future rests on, when we can get this group to have 100 to 200 games, we'll really know whether the rebuild has worked or not, chances are that Steven and Gears will have to be a 250+ player to taste success.
In two years time we could field a team that has 11 player in the 50 to 100 games, another 10 at 100 to 150 games, with Carlisle, Ross, Roberton, Steven and Geary at 150 to 250 games.

As a playing list we have holes at small and medium forward, we really need a high possession inside player or two but Steele, Acres and Clark could become those guys.
There will be some traded in and some drafted just as there will be some that fall off ask to be traded or just don't make it, but the core of the next 6 years is at the club and there's a lot to like about it.

I do think the necessary changes have been made to staff, and I'll be fascinated to see what version of a game plan we take on, whether we have the courage to run and gun or whether we go timid and serve up the dross we have this year, we've maybe got a year up our sleeve to get it right.

That was mentioned in the article as the potential player, I just thought it was so ludicrous I didn't other typing it out.

Feel like it's just a thought bubble.

Even we could not possibly be that stupid. If they wouldn’t use 4 for Shiel they are not using it for a Hannebery deal.

Here's the thing though, 12 months ago North were exactly where we are now, in fact probably worse (all they were able to get was Hartung, and I'm pretty sure they either got him late in the draft, or as a "DFA", whereas we've already had Hannebery and Kent nominate us).

Years of doom were being widely predicted for North last summer, yet less than a year on and they won more than they lost, and they look like they could get Gaff, Polec, Hall and Tarryn Thomas, and then Kelly next year!

Which surely shows you how fast the tables can turn.

norf had been out of finals for 6 years?

Still haven't met anybody who predicted the last 3 winners of the flag pre-season..
I'm hedging Ratten's appt & to a lesser degree Lade's is going to be a game changer for the team..
The side played all year with very little belief in the game plan, & this was matched by their effort in many games..
Once you get the players all in with a style they believe in, teams can quickly improve dramatically from the previous year..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back