List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Patton showed very little at the GWS considering the talent of the mids that we’re delivering the ball to him . We don’t need him at the Saints , I wouldn’t give a piece of used chewy for him .

Out of interest, where do people see Battle playing in the future? I know he’s just learning the game at the moment but do people think he will be big enough to one day hold down a key position or will he always just be a third forward ? From what I’ve seen so far it doesn’t look like he is a strong marking forward , more of a leading forward maybe . Is he going to play a similar role to Membrey ? If so , can we play both of them in the same side ?

Go Saints

I don't get why we would do that. The whole reason we are in this shitty draft position in the first place is because we took Clavarino and Austin. Now we're trading out of the top 6 for another key backman?

I think we're just stirring shit up here if there's any truth to this tweet at all.

Patton showed very little at the GWS considering the talent of the mids that we’re delivering the ball to him . We don’t need him at the Saints , I wouldn’t give a piece of used chewy for him .

Out of interest, where do people see Battle playing in the future? I know he’s just learning the game at the moment but do people think he will be big enough to one day hold down a key position or will he always just be a third forward ? From what I’ve seen so far it doesn’t look like he is a strong marking forward , more of a leading forward maybe . Is he going to play a similar role to Membrey ? If so , can we play both of them in the same side ?

Go Saints
FWIW I see Battle and Members as pretty similar.
HFF - Wing leading both ways.
Both strong marks for size and better in straight lines.

Go Saints
Jack Gunston type forward & utility. Bloke has a massive motor which will only improve with more preseasons under his belt.

7fbd0255fc25fa1f3c0b76df01dc70f2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is that the Cooper Grech kid from here?

And but for injuries and concussions, may well have.

Can we stop this bullshit please? It didn’t work out, that happens; Cleveland has had 30 ******* starting QBs since The Return in 1999 and they’ve ALL been shit, until Mr 30...
Mayfield is legit.
But dear god i hope we dont need to go through 29 dud full forwards before our next good one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any news on Karl Amon. A “George” on fb declaring he will be a Saint by Wednesday night. Anyone know anything or care to speculate or even make something up.

This off-season is killing me and we’re not even truly there yet... Help!!
Yep. He is still a potato

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anytime my man.

The club are like everyone else at this stage.. up in the air. Working through various scenarios with trade swaps. The problem everyone is having is all the same - no one knows who’s taking who with the first 4 picks. This is causing all sorts of problems.

One hand the club wants to trade for the swap of picks now, so we have multiple options we’re happy with come draft.

The other hand says hold onto until draft night and see what gets thrown up in love drafting. Lethers has the best black book in the game - so he’ll know what’s the best strategy is. He’s the best I’ve seen. Commands more respect from all the clubs than nearly anyone.
Pretty sure that your "man" Diehard is a woman...

Why do people want to trade Bruce? And why would we also include Lonie and Pick 28 in a deal which is essentially a 10 pick upgrade for our best key forward? That makes no sense. Bruce alone would be worth Pick 18. 90 goals in two years, proven key forward, contracted and a rival club who need a key forward interested? Next.
Our best key forward? Hardly

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they take the same stance they did with Lynch then he goes this year.

Why would they keep him if he wants out?
Yeah that’s what I was referring to earlier. I’ve always been in the camp, if they want to leave, then get the best price and let them go. Can only cause more harm having him stay and being disruptive all year knowing he’s gone regardless.

Rare long post warning.

I am torn between trading on draft night and earlier, my head says we should do it earlier. We are in a great position at pick four, I was explaining thing to my trade illiterate father today and this is why.

We have 8 clear top picks this year, Walsh, Luko, Rankine, BKing, MKing, Smith, Rozee and Blakey. I've included Rozee because, whilst I don't believe he is quite in that upper tier, he is the next best prospect and belongs there due to the end to his year and the fact he is in the mix with the SA clubs and Suns seemingly quite keen.

In my humble and very obvious opinion, these guys should be on our radar;

1) Walsh - its a no brainer, Walsh is a sure thing, may not have superstar factor, but he is a sure thing nonetheless. He will certainly be gone by pick 4 but is the only one who is certain to not be available in my opinion.

2) Max King - I am genuinely concerned by his kicking, but he is a special prospect who would've been going pick one had he not been injured in my opinion. I am a little bit wary of drafting a tall with an early pick but would we have passed on Buddy for similar reasons?

3) Smith - Vic boy, I am slowly coming around on him assuming his injuries aren't chronic. Put him on a scale next to Walsh and he genuinely matches up quite well in most categories.

4) B King - Has flexibility, probably his best asset, can play at either end and dominate. I'd take him if the aforementioned three are taken and not be upset.

Now we can't lose if we trade for pick 6 instead of pick 8, I'll go through a few likely options and here is where my thought processes are. In all of my scenarios I'm assuming Carlton are going to go for Walsh with pick one.

Option 1 - GC replace the twin towers, reasoning, they will be replacing May and Lynch with two of the most exciting 200cm+ players in draft history. The go home factor should be mitigated by the fact they are being drafted together, its not a HUGE stretch to grab these guys this early.

Pick 2 - M King
Pick 3 - B King
Pick 4 - this is a best case scenario for us in my opinion, if Luko is available at pick 4, then pick 6 & 10 would almost certainly be on the table. Whilst this might cause issues if the club with pick 5 selects Smith, I believe its worth the risk as the next pick would be 6 and Crows would almost certainly trade for that pick to grab Rankine if the go home concerns are too strong to ignore.

Option 2 - GC take the SA boys, reasoning, grabbing Luko with either Rankine or Rozee would go 'some' way to ensure they don't pack up and go home. Grabbing Luko and Rankine is probably going to be best available selections at 2 & 3. Considering how desperate the SA clubs are to get the SA boys I doubt this is an option. Look at Setterfield and Kelly this year, Blues and Eagles put the work in early on and they will walk.

Pick 2 - Lukosius
Pick 3 - Rankine/Rozee
Pick 4 - this scenario will still work very well for us. If the two SA boys are taken, that means that there is only 1 of their big three left. Pick 6 wont guarantee a SA kid especially if (as I suspect) pick 5 will be in Suns hands, Suns could be trying their best to potentially draft all three together in this case. So pick 4 becomes pick 6 and probably the lesser of the other first rounder Port have, giving us a guarantee of Max or Smith at pick 6.

Option 3 - GC take best available, whilst this is obviously just my opinion, I believe the two best players in this draft for GC will be Luko and M King. Both represent massive upside but also a big risk as I don't believe the Suns have the ability to keep both kids there.

Pick 2 - Luko
Pick 3 - M King
Pick 4 - Rankine will still be available, and if GC have pick 5, there's a good chance that they will try to do the match up of an SA boy there. 6 into 4 allows Port to leap frog them and get Rankine. I think Port will do this as, whilst they'll still have Rozee on the board should Suns take Rankine, we all know who is the better prospect. This scenario presents a form of risk as Suns may not want to draft the 3 tall players within the first 5 selections. They may well take Smith which would leave us looking at Ben King, its not a loss but its not first priority.

In all of these scenarios we aren't exactly losing, although option 3 does seem sort of flat, we are still grabbing a King and another first rounder.

Pick 10 is the perfect position to pick up Caldwell, the guy has the sort of upside that should have him as part of that top 8 conversation. A criticism of our 2017 drafting was that we didn't pick up Bonar because we had the second pick to take the 'risk'. Caldwell is a similar risk, but if we grab someone like Max or Smith with pick 6 and Caldwell with pick 10 then we just won the draft.

The Crows are the interesting party here, I am not interested in pick 8, pick 8 is dead set no mans land. There is a good chance that we will miss out on the best kids, and Rozee shouldn't be our focus. If the Crows somehow end up with pick 5, then that would be a fantastic position to be in. This is mind blown stuff but imagine if we moved back to 6 and somehow Rozee, Smith and a King were left available to trade down to 8 and a teens pick. Ok, now Im being greedy.

I believe Josh Bruce will be traded to the Pies for pick 18 before Wednesday, that means we would have picks 4, 18 & 28. I am also not against grabbing Patton with a very late pick, lets be honest, cash means bugger all to us and he has great upside across fwd, ruck and defence if required, put it this way, who wouldn't want to trade Bruce and pick 60 for Patton and pick 18? GWS can always pay $200k next year to equal Bruce's salary anyway. Just a thought though, I certainly remember how good Jon is at his best.

We can't really lose by having pick 4 prior to draft night, but I believe - based on the above musings - that if Port were to offer us 6, 10 and Amon for 4 & 28 then we should take it. Points mean bugger all when discussing the scenarios involving the three SA kids and pick 4. It would take overs for us to do it prior to draft night and thats the one I'd take.

Go into draft night with 6, 10 and 18 and be in a stupid good position to draft King/Smith, Caldwell and a slider like RCD at 18.

Apologies for the long post, good thing I normally post on the phone and not on my PC!!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2018 St Kilda Trade Thread Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back