2018 Trade and FA thread (opposition supporters post in Trade Hypotheticals thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with the majority.

Neale will be 26 in May.

Giving up a top 5 pick, and potentially more, is too much.

To trade out a top 5, player would not only need to be elite, but 18-23 age bracket. Especially for a team not yet challenging for a premiership.
He doesn't have to be elite to be worth pick 5. Pick 5 may be too much, it may be a bargain or it may be just right. I don't believe we can't assume that pick 5 has a certain value. We might choose wisely or we may stuff it entirely. We may choose a player who turns into an average player when someone taken later in the draft becomes a premiership captain. What he gives us is a known quantity (and quality) versus an entirely speculative one.

Our better players in each age group-

18-21> Rayner, Bailey, Witherden, McCluggage, Berry, Hipwood, Mathieson, Andrews.
22-24> Gardiner, McStay, Robertson, Cutler, Taylor, McInerney, Cameron.
25-27> Walker, Lester, Christensen.
28+ > Rich, Beams, Zorko, Martin, Hodge.

Lachie Neale 25 years of age and we have a massive hole in our list in that age bracket, no brainer, get it done Nobes.

If we could somehow get Lachie Neale(25), Mitch Wallis(26) and Seb Ross(25) in for 2019 that would be a huge jump forward for our prospects, ages in brackets are at round 1 next season.

Well we don't know this yet. Still could be a ruse to get more money for contract. And while he could wait till next year, maybe he doesn't want all the contract speculation that comes with it.
Think it is time we move past this point. The whole why would he come to us, and he must be just using us to jack up his price. These are things we are use to in the past because we have been a rubbish club. The wheel is turning, players see this and they are wanting in. It is not a familiar feeling for us to have top calibre players wanting in. Let's not assume there is some kind of hidden agenda behind it all and just take some on face value. Has been enough smoke around Neale already for this to be legit.

Also, we've been down this road already, if he was trying to get a fatter contract he would be doing this during next season and using a club like North who have a load of cash. Just makes no sense to fake a trade.

Our better players in each age group-

18-21> Rayner, Bailey, Witherden, McCluggage, Berry, Hipwood, Mathieson, Andrews.
22-24> Gardiner, McStay, Robertson, Cutler, Taylor, McInerney, Cameron.
25-27> Walker, Lester, Christensen.
28+ > Rich, Beams, Zorko, Martin, Hodge.

Lachie Neale 25 years of age and we have a massive hole in our list in that age bracket, no brainer, get it done Nobes.

If we could somehow get Lachie Neale(25), Mitch Wallis(26) and Seb Ross(25) in for 2019 that would be a huge jump forward for our prospects, ages in brackets are at round 1 next season.

Agree with the list profile thing.

Wallis is staying at the Bulldogs though I think based off that age article. I reckon the "inside info" on him coming to us is old news.

Think if we got both Neale and Ross in we'd be out of the first round for the next 2 years which I'd be a tad hesitant to do.

Wallis is staying at the Bulldogs though I think based off that age article. I reckon the "inside info" on him coming to us is old news.

Think if we got both Neale and Ross in we'd be out of the first round for the next 2 years which I'd be a tad hesitant to do.
Maybe, what about we take Neale this year and go all in on free agent 2019 Stephen Coniglio?

Maybe, what about we take Neale this year and go all in on free agent 2019 Stephen Coniglio?

I like the way you think my friend.

New story from Daniel Cherny: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...eale-to-weigh-up-options-20180902-p501bv.html

Lachie Neale will spend the early part of this week weighing up his options with his fiance as Fremantle continue to publicly play down talk he could leave the club in the upcoming trade period.

The Fremantle star has not yet requested a trade from the Dockers despite keen interest from the Brisbane Lions, but it’s understood Neale is open to the idea.

Despite reports of fresh a four-year deal offered by the Dockers to keep Neale at the club, it’s understood no formal contract extension has been tabled, with Neale preferring to consider his next move before entering into negotiations with Fremantle.

Honestly Neale alone might have us out of the first round for the next 2 years - in that scenario we would probably get Freo's 2019 2nd but if they play serious hardball that may be the price. I'd guess the interest in Steven/Ross might have been when we were still unsure about beams and needed extra replacements.

If Wallis re-signs I'd be looking at Jarryd Lyons - out of contract and clearly not in favour with Dew but rated highly by the AFL player ratings and champion data.

It's time to send a deputation over to the west and make a pitch, I assume he has already met Noble, Amrogio and Crowell so I'd like us to go with Chris Fagan, Dayne Beams and Jarrod Berry to sell the Lions vision.

Send over Hodgey imo, just make sure he has plenty of cabcharges ;)

A contracted Neale is worth pick 5 plus something. My conern is that plus something (i think if he was uncontacted just pick 5 wouldbe fair).

I could deal with our 2nd rd pick as the something. Anything more than that, value wise, and I would argue we have overpaid.

He isn't worth 2x 1st rd picks (talent wise and age wise). So i just hope we don't get desperate and sell the farm for a midfielder who will never be a top 10 midfielder in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly Neale alone might have us out of the first round for the next 2 years - in that scenario we would probably get Freo's 2019 2nd but if they play serious hardball that may be the price. I'd guess the interest in Steven/Ross might have been when we were still unsure about beams and needed extra replacements.

If Wallis re-signs I'd be looking at Jarryd Lyons - out of contract and clearly not in favour with Dew but rated highly by the AFL player ratings and champion data.

Agree we will be paying more than pick 5, but can't see us going next years first as well. Circumstances just don't warrant it, in 12 months he is a restricted free agent. It's a different playing field to when the pies gave up 2 first rounders for a much younger Treloar. Who knows really, but I'd be surprised if we gave up more than our first this year & one of our first this year or next. And agree on Jarryd Lyons too.

Agree we will be paying more than pick 5, but can't see us going next years first as well. Circumstances just don't warrant it, in 12 months he is a restricted free agent. It's a different playing field to when the pies gave up 2 first rounders for a much younger Treloar. Who knows really, but I'd be surprised if we gave up more than our first this year & one of our first this year or next. And agree on Jarryd Lyons too.

I tend to agree, but I guess I'm factoring how unreasonable Freo were last year with Gold Coast. Obviously, we aren't in such a desperate position as Gold Coast was so we are less likely to do something stupid, but that doesn't mean that Freo won't behave that way.

I’m curious, say we send Starc to Freo for Neale.. would the club just go ‘tough t***ies you’re going to Perth’?

Is this a serious question? He did just sign a two year contract. I didn't see the contract, but pretty sure there wasn't a 'we can trade you whenever we want & send you wherever we want clause'

Is this a serious question? He did just sign a two year contract. I didn't see the contract, but pretty sure there wasn't a 'we can trade you whenever we want & send you wherever we want clause'
Okay, I only used him because his names being thrown around. As the example, say he is out of contract.

I tend to agree, but I guess I'm factoring how unreasonable Freo were last year with Gold Coast. Obviously, we aren't in such a desperate position as Gold Coast was so we are less likely to do something stupid, but that doesn't mean that Freo won't behave that way.

Freo got two picks early in the draft last year, they're in the box position to do the same this year, plus a little extra. If they're keen for the rebuild, as much as they will be posturing that they want Neale to stay, that is a pretty juicy cherry. Plus they will have an excuse (similar to Carltank this year) to finish bottom 4 again next year, for another dip at the draft.

Isn't it great that the Lions are making the headlines as a destination club....even if they're only rumours! It's been a pleasant few hours just cruising through all the post, gauging opinions, ideas, scenarios, dreams....
GO LIONS!:brisbane:

Okay, I only used him because his names being thrown around. As the example, say he is out of contract.

Don't think that any of our players would be traded against their wishes at this point in time. Contracted or not. In my opinion it flies in the face of the one for all / players buying in / tight group narrative that is being peddled by all. If there is a player that goes to Freo as part of the deal, I think it will be part of a three way deal that involves another pick from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back