Analysis 2018 v 2017 YOY comparison - are we really getting better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do any of you blokes have a theory on why the Hawks have been the Lions bunnies this season? Would it be mainly to do with Hodge and Fagan? If the Lions were playing the Hawks this weekend at the MCG or the Gabba do the Lions still win? Please play nice on this one.. I am a life long Brisbane resident who grew up playing footy in Moorooka because we lived right next door to the oval. For no other reason other than my Aunty & Uncles surname being Hawthorn I started following them when I was 12 in 1981. I also (unashamedly) jumped on the Brisbane Bandwagon as a second team in 1999. I'm very excited to see Brisbane building as possible top 8 contender in the next couple of years. Hawthorn will always be number one but I hold Brisbane as a very close second team.

P.S. I count Michael Voss as my favourite player of all-time over all of the great Hawks.

Hawthorn also lost to the suns twice last year maybe don't have the best mindset in games when they are expected to win.

A lot of players have really shown they will be stars

Mcclug
Berry
Andrews
Hipwood

in my eyes at least, these guys have shown they will be more than good players
Probably could take Harris off that list, he always looked like was going to blossom into a star

Huge improvement over the year.

Disappointing we didn't continue to build in the last 6-7 games, though we stagnated after the 3peat. There was a real chance to rubber stamp our improvement and whilst we only lost by close margins, most games we went 6-7 goals down at one point int he game and the GC game was the most depressing win I've watched.

Other than that a great year.

One huge area we need to look at is our psychology, when games and seasons are on the line we freeze over, as soon as a lead blows out in a game or a season is over and expectations drop we free up and start playing. It is entirely evident in almost everything we do. Not sure how to fix it, but it's an issue.

Huge improvement over the year.

Disappointing we didn't continue to build in the last 6-7 games, though we stagnated after the 3peat. There was a real chance to rubber stamp our improvement and whilst we only lost by close margins, most games we went 6-7 goals down at one point int he game and the GC game was the most depressing win I've watched.

Other than that a great year.

One huge area we need to look at is our psychology, when games and seasons are on the line we freeze over, as soon as a lead blows out in a game or a season is over and expectations drop we free up and start playing. It is entirely evident in almost everything we do. Not sure how to fix it, but it's an issue.

As Fagan said earlier in the year, practicing the final five minutes of a close match was not an option because there were so many other general problems that had to be solved for us to be in a game winning situation. I have no doubt that this offseason will entail work into how we close games, and a plan B for when our first game plan gets shut down.

Honestly, if we want to be better next year we need to win more than one game before the bye. That’s where a lot of our improvement will come from.

As Fagan said earlier in the year, practicing the final five minutes of a close match was not an option because there were so many other general problems that had to be solved for us to be in a game winning situation. I have no doubt that this offseason will entail work into how we close games, and a plan B for when our first game plan gets shut down.

Honestly, if we want to be better next year we need to win more than one game before the bye. That’s where a lot of our improvement will come from.

Exactly right and that supports my notion, when the season is up for grabs we put too much pressure on ourselves, as soon as finals is out of reach, we start playing. Same within games, go 40 points down and start a comeback. Needs to learn to play more freely from earlier in seasons / games.. that comes from confidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back