List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

HAWTHORN
Draft selections: 11, 42, 50, 54, 63, 73, 87, 92

List gaps: There was a key defender shortage but the Hawks nabbed Sam Frost in the Telstra AFL Trade Period and are set to pick up Michael Hartley in the pre-season draft. Jacob Koschitzke is developing, too. Some more midfield class to complement Tom Mitchell, James Worpel, Jaeger O'Meara, Liam Shiels and co. would be helpful.

The priority: Mitchell will return from a broken leg in 2020, Worpel just won the best and fairest and O'Meara was very good for much of the past season, but wingers Isaac Smith and Ricky Henderson are both 30-plus, so some midfield speed should be prioritised.

Dream draft according to Cal Twomey: If speed and run is what the Hawks want, then they'll be desperate to see Dylan Stephens be available at pick 11. The South Australian midfielder has the rare combination of elite endurance and pace, and would add to the Hawks' onball group – particularly given they are set to add father-son and contested midfielder Finn Maginness with later selections.

– Marc McGowan

Our definition of A and B grade players might be different. If you look at Richmond, take out Martin/Lynch on Grand Final day and they had even performance from rest of the group, which puts rest of players into B grade.
You can't look at one game to determine whether a player is A or B grade. It happens over seasons. On grand final day, Richmond had on the park 7 A graders (Cotchin, Martin, Reiwoldt, Houli, Grimes, Lynch, Prestia), two on the fringe (Edwards, Lambert) and then a bunch of B graders plus an A grader sitting in the stands.

Picks 23-40 in this years draft represents B graders to me.
Again, grading makes more sense after viewing a player in the seniors over time. Just because a player who nominated for the draft is considered B grade by you, doesn't mean they will hold that grade throughout their career. That's where development and natural progression come in. I'm sure everyone would have said picks 23-40 in the 2001 draft were also B grade at the time but a few of them turned out to be a little better than B grade ;)

Supposedly quantitative calculations of such obviously qualitative concepts (such as A-graders and B-graders) make baby Jesus cry*

*ok, maybe not...but they can't possibly ensure people share an understanding of each other

Teams are desperate to trade into the first round, no team will trade out of it, if we trade our 2020 1st it will be for a mid 20’s pick.
I hate this matter of fact bs. The reality is you (and all of us) have absolutely no idea what all 18 clubs are planning to do on the night, and with the variables of live trading, whatever plans they have now, will no doubt change on the night too.

Does anyone know or heard much about Jeremy Sharp? During the combine came 8th in 20 mtr sprint, equal 5th in both the yo-yo test and 2 km time trial so excellent endurance and quick. 187cm tall, 79kg so good size. From footage looks like a very nice mover with a nice penetrating kick.

Some recruiters have him to go from 10. If Dylan Stephens gets taken, Sharp could be that quality outside mid/wingman we need. Bloody lottery this stuff ain’t it!

Last edited:
HAWTHORN
Draft selections: 11, 42, 50, 54, 63, 73, 87, 92

List gaps: There was a key defender shortage but the Hawks nabbed Sam Frost in the Telstra AFL Trade Period and are set to pick up Michael Hartley in the pre-season draft. Jacob Koschitzke is developing, too. Some more midfield class to complement Tom Mitchell, James Worpel, Jaeger O'Meara, Liam Shiels and co. would be helpful.

The priority: Mitchell will return from a broken leg in 2020, Worpel just won the best and fairest and O'Meara was very good for much of the past season, but wingers Isaac Smith and Ricky Henderson are both 30-plus, so some midfield speed should be prioritised.

Dream draft according to Cal Twomey: If speed and run is what the Hawks want, then they'll be desperate to see Dylan Stephens be available at pick 11. The South Australian midfielder has the rare combination of elite endurance and pace, and would add to the Hawks' onball group – particularly given they are set to add father-son and contested midfielder Finn Maginness with later selections.

– Marc McGowan

Stephens Maginness and a couple of GW specials

List looking very healthy

You can't look at one game to determine whether a player is A or B grade. It happens over seasons. On grand final day, Richmond had on the park 7 A graders (Cotchin, Martin, Reiwoldt, Houli, Grimes, Lynch, Prestia), two on the fringe (Edwards, Lambert) and then a bunch of B graders plus an A grader sitting in the stands.

Again, grading makes more sense after viewing a player in the seniors over time. Just because a player who nominated for the draft is considered B grade by you, doesn't mean they will hold that grade throughout their career. That's where development and natural progression come in. I'm sure everyone would have said picks 23-40 in the 2001 draft were also B grade at the time but a few of them turned out to be a little better than B grade ;)
Just filling in time, for argument with pick 11 who could we get and if we traded it, what picks could we get say in the 20s/30s, whether 2 or 3 players, and then can compared whether silly or not. I think the club has already decided what it wants to do. Certainly Grimes/Houli are the B graders (probably at the time of selection were C graders) that are looking good, Pick 42, pre draft selection, just shows your second tier players or you might have them higher up can come from anywhere. If we had 5 top 20 draft picks and rest of competition had 1, pretty sure we have high chance to stay top 4 for long, but that is not the case.

Just filling in time, for argument with pick 11 who could we get and if we traded it, what picks could we get say in the 20s/30s, whether 2 or 3 players, and then can compared whether silly or not. I think the club has already decided what it wants to do. Certainly Grimes/Houli are the B graders (probably at the time of selection were C graders) that are looking good, Pick 42, pre draft selection, just shows your second tier players or you might have them higher up can come from anywhere. If we had 5 top 20 draft picks and rest of competition had 1, pretty sure we have high chance to stay top 4 for long, but that is not the case.

Think you've made and re-made the point...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know or heard much about Jeremy Sharp? During the combine came 8th in 20 mtr sprint, equal 5th in both the yo-yo te st and 2 km time trial so excellent endurance and quick. 187cm tall, 79kg so good size. From footage looks like a very nice mover with a nice penetrating kick.

Some recruiters have him to go from 10. If Dylan Stephens gets taken, Sharp could be that quality outside mid/wingman we need. Bloody lottery this stuff ain’t it!
That is pretty high, phantom draft had him at pick 27. There will be other run and carry type players, I just came across Brady Rowles. If keeping Pick 11, using best available and Stephens gone, I would think they would pick someone higher value than Sharp. If we are picking Finn after that our picks are not that good, pick 42,50,63 used to get Finn (not even sure if enough). We might not know more until draft night, if trade in next year's first round for more picks this year (as some have suggested).

Can we not trade our first decent top pick in ages for a couple of second rounders PLEASE!

Can we not trade our first decent top pick in ages for a couple of second rounders PLEASE!
Not sure I see the logic. We have an opportunity to select ‘a near’ Top 10 player AND Maginness; with another opportunity to trade our 2020 1st rounder for a mid 20s player.....no brainer in my opinion.

Whatever happens....exciting time for us Hawks supporters

Not sure I see the logic. We have an opportunity to select ‘a near’ Top 10 player AND Maginness; with another opportunity to trade our 2020 1st rounder for a mid 20s player.....no brainer in my opinion.

Whatever happens....exciting time for us Hawks supporters
He did say "can we not..."

Probs needed a ‘?’ at the end, either way.

I think the original post suggested that the poster doesn’t want us to trade Pick 11.
That and perhaps a little shot at who ST was replying to :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 AFL National Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back